The USFL Thread aka: It's a boring news night

i watched the game, and it was better than watching a reality show, but not by much. my complaints:

• i started watching on fox, but the audio from the players' mics was all distorted and irritating. then i switched to nbc, and the audio was pristine. i don't know if it was just my local affiliate, but fox needs to fix that going forward.
  • to me, it seemed like there were a lot more commercials than a normal nfl game.
  • imho, this was really sloppy football. like the second half of nfl preseason games where only the scrubs are playing.
  • my wife commented that it looked like kids were playing football. the players were definitely smaller for the most part.
  • it was really odd to me that new jersey only had two actual offensive linemen playing, and filled in with tight ends and other players. did the usfl have problems attracting players that couldn't make it in the nfl?
  • i'll probably watch another game or two to see if it gets better, but they're going to lose me fast if they don't improve.

Preliminary USFL kickoff ratings.

FOX - 1.43 million
NBC - 1.52 million

Some context on ratings
USFL Opener vs Season-to-Date Viewership of Spring Sports:

NBA Reg Seas ABC - 3.04m

USFL Opener - 3.00m

NBA Reg Seas Cable - 1.4m

Formula 1 - 1.1m

NHL Reg Seas ABC - 877k

I find it interesting that Espn.com and nfl.com have no blurbs at all about usfl games.

Not surprised on NFL.com. ESPN a bit
since nfl is actually supporting the usfl, i am more surprised that they don't at least have game scores and recaps.

foxsports is obviously covering the games.

since nfl is actually supporting the usfl, i am more surprised that they don't at least have game scores and recaps.

foxsports is obviously covering the games.
How is the NFL supporting the USFL? There is not affiliation or $$ support. Fox owns a stake in the USFL

Back