The Future of Wisconsin Basketball is Very Bright

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Five points. Just five measly points. That’s how close Wisconsin was to standing at the top of the College Basketball world. Five points from having a clip of Frank Kaminsky hoisting the National Championship trophy above his shoulders playing as One Shining Moment concludes in the background. Five points.

INDIANAPOLIS, IN – APRIL 06: Head coach Mike Krzyzewski of the Duke Blue Devils watches “One Shining Moment” with his players Jahlil Okafor #15, Tyus Jones #5, Amile Jefferson, Grayson Allen, Marshall Plumlee #40, Quinn Cook #2 and Justise Winslow after defeating the Wisconsin Badgers during the NCAA Men’s Final Four National Championship at Lucas Oil Stadium on April 6, 2015 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Duke defeated Wisconsin 68-63. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

For Wisconsin fans, to come so close but fall just short was heartbreaking. Many thought that season was a once in a lifetime opportunity for the Wisconsin Basketball program. That feeling was especially true when Bo Ryan retired. But now, it looks like that window may not have closed after all. In fact, the future of Wisconsin Basketball looks like it may be even brighter than the past.

Obviously, it’s impossible to predict transfers, injuries, early draft entrants, etc. There are a ton of other outside factors at play. But it’s still fun to think about how good these teams could be if everything works out.

2016-17

SYRACUSE, NY – DECEMBER 02: Nigel Hayes #10 of the Wisconsin Badgers handles the ball during the first half against the Syracuse Orange on December 2, 2015 at The Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images)

This year, Wisconsin should be right back in the mix of the Big Ten Title race, as well as the National Championship hunt. They return all five starters from a Sweet 16 team, including the Bronson Koenig, Nigel Hayes, and Ethan Happ trio that figures to be one of the best trio’s in the nation. The Badgers also may boast the deepest bench they have had in years, with five returning role players and a talented duo of newcomers, Brevin Pritzl and Andy van Vliet. Head Coach Greg Gard has proven that he can develop talent with the best of them, so not only does Wisconsin return most of it’s players but they will all probably be much better than they were last season.

2017-18

Next year may look like a rebuilding year on the surface considering Wisconsin is set to lose four starters. But the one starter they do return is Ethan Happ, who will be a junior. If Happ develops like I expect him to, he will be among the best players in the country. The offense will be able to play through him as talented young players like Khalil Iverson, Brevin Pritzl, Andy Van Vliet, Charlie Thomas, Kobe King, Nathan Ruevers, and Alex Illikainen grow into their roles. By that point, Jordan Hill will also be a veteran point guard ready to run the team after spending two seasons playing and learning from Koenig. The 2017-18 team may not be as good as this years team, but they will surely be no worse than a 6-seed in the NCAA Tournament.

2018-19

While I don’t have a crystal ball, if Gard keeps developing players like he and Bo Ryan have done for years, the 2018-19 team will be one of Wisconsin’s best ever. Wisconsin only graduates one senior, Jordan Hill. Assuming Ethan Happ stays for his senior season (I think he will because he’s kind of a “tweener” at the NBA level), he will reach a Frank Kaminsky level of dominance. Combined with the 6 foot 11, ultra skilled, sweet shooting Van Vliet, who will also be a senior, and Wisconsin will have one of the best frontcourts in the nation.

Guard play shouldn’t be an issue either. Khalil Iverson will be a senior, and it’s going to be truly exciting to see how good he will be by then. With his athletic ability, he can be an NBA level slasher and defender. D’Mitrik Trice and Brevin Pritzl will form a tough, sharpshooting point guard and shooting guard 1-2 punch. The Badgers will also have veterans Charlie Thomas (senior) and Alex Illikainen (junior/senior) to go along with exciting young prospects like Kobe King, Tyler Herro, Brad Davison, Nathan Ruevers, and Aleem Ford. Wow! Is Vegas accepting bets for the 2018-19 College Basketball season yet?

2019-2020

This team is going to be really, really good. No, it’s not too early to say that.

Just take a look at the guards for this season: Brevin Pritzl, D’Mitrik Trice, Brad Davison, Kobe King, and Tyler Herro. They say guards win championships, and it’s hard to imagine other teams in the country having a better backcourt than this. They have such a great blend of experience, ball handling, shooting, scoring, and slashing. There is so much talent for Gard to work with in this group. Wisconsin generally hasn’t been able to stockpile this much talent at the guard position, so it’s exciting to think about the possibilities.

The front court won’t be bad either, but it should be an area of focus for upcoming recruiting. Alex Illikainen may still be around assuming he takes a redshirt at some point (I think he will this year). Nathan Ruevers is also going to be a great big man for Wisconsin.

2020-2021

It feels kind of funny to look this far ahead into the future because all of the players on the roster are yet to play a single possession of College Basketball. But looking at the recruiting classes, there is definitely a reason to think Wisconsin will be really good this season.

D’Mitrik Trice will be a senior and possibly in his third season as Wisconsin’s starting point guard. If he is anything like his older brother, he is exactly the type of player you want leading a team as talented as this one will be.

If they all stay, the players in Wisconsin’s loaded Class of 2017, regarded as the program’s best recruiting class ever, will be in its fourth season of eligibility. Kobe King, Nathan Ruevers, and Brad Davison will all be veterans with superstar ability. Tyler Herro may be in the NBA by this point, but if he is still around, this could be Wisconsin’s most talented team ever.

2021-2022

Just kidding. I think I’ve gone far enough. There is a good chance that there are zero players currently committed to Wisconsin on this team. However, there is one guarantee: Wisconsin will be in the top four of the Big Ten. I don’t even need to know who is on the team. It’s just how it is.

Recap

during the second round of the 2016 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament at Scottrade Center on March 20, 2016 in St Louis, Missouri.

So yeah, the nest few years of Wisconsin hoops are going to be fun. I love the direction Gard is taking the Badgers in, especially in recruiting. He’s brought in a lot of quality recruiting talent, and if they all develop and work hard, the sky is the limit for this program.

The post The Future of Wisconsin Basketball is Very Bright appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

Wow! I nearly wet my pants reading this article. I realize it's a "fluff" article, but based on the names thrown on the table, assuming none of these guys leave early for the draft, none transfer, none flunk out, and no injuries, the Badgers could be one of the best teams in the nation for the next five years.

I'm really looking forward to see how they do in step one, the 2016-17 season.

Back