Ted Thompson steps down as GM the next GM is......

Do we know what players Elliot Wolf scouted that turn3d out as good picks?

Not really, it’s hard to tell. TT always said the decisions were all his own. There are nuggets here and there sometimes, like how Highsmith was responsible for bringing in McCray this year. Doesn’t mean Highsmith didn’t also scout a bunch of duds either, but snippets are hard to come by.

Do we know what players Elliot Wolf scouted that turn3d out as good picks?

Good question CD. The other thing that I was thinking about, and it's probably just off to me, is that Highsmith leaves. Then you hear rumblings that Gute and Wolf might leave if they don't get the gig. I mean, were they gonna stay if TT stayed in place? Wouldn't Gute keep Wolf, Highsmith and vice versa? It almost has an implosion type of feel to it.

Last edited:
Elliot Wolf will get his interview with team on Thursday per report

Good question CD. The other thing that Ibwa s thinking about, and it's probably just off to me, is that Highsmith leaves. Then you hear rumblings that Gute and Wolf might leave if they don't get the gig. I mean, were they gonna stay if TT stayed in place? Wouldn't Gute keep Wolf, Highsmith and vice versa? It almost has an implosion type of feel to it.
Bud,
TT was the pimple. Everyone was in line to see what happened when it popped. This scenario was inevitable. If Gute gets the job there's a chance Wolf and Ball end up leaving. Same scenario spun three different ways. Highsmith saw that, while he'd get interviewed, he didn't have a realistic shot at getting the job. (maybe his own relationship with Murphy?)
We'll just have to see how this acne scab heals.

Bud,
TT was the pimple. Everyone was in line to see what happened when it popped. This scenario was inevitable. If Gute gets the job there's a chance Wolf and Ball end up leaving. Same scenario spun three different ways. Highsmith saw that, while he'd get interviewed, he didn't have a realistic shot at getting the job. (maybe his own relationship with Murphy?)
It potentially could be a drain of some decent talent evaluators. Then again, depending on where on falls in the roster talent or lack of talent, one could say that they haven't done so well either. I'm not saying that's the case because these guys seem very competent. Just playing a little devil's advocate. Do we know how much say these guys had in the draft and develop decisions?

@adamschefter Packers expected to start their GM interviews Thursday, and in-house candidates Russ Ball, Eliot Wolf and Brian Gutekunst expected to be amongst first candidates interviewed, per source. Team would like to wrap up its search next week

Bud,

I agree except for one thing: I think if you hire Gutekunst or Wolf, you can keep Ball where he is. If you hire Ball, the other two are gone (assuming Murphy/Ball allow them to interview elsewhere). Seems like a no brainer to me.

Also, on Highsmith, I read something to the effect of, he’s not seen as upper management type, I.e. really good at his job but not buttoned up enough for corporate head honcho.

I said it once, I’ll say it again... I do NOT want Russ Ball just because he supervised athletic training. The Packers have been beyond bitten by injuries for several years running!

And if he’s a TIghtwad Ted, Jr, then NO THANKS! I’ve had enough of that act. I hope it’s Gute, McKenzie, or even Schneider or Wolf. I’m not liking what I’m hearing about Murphy and Ball. Jmo...​

I said it once, I’ll say it again... I do NOT want Russ Ball just because he supervised athletic training. The Packers have been beyond bitten by injuries for several years running!

And if he’s a TIghtwad Ted, Jr, then NO THANKS! I’ve had enough of that act. I hope it’s Gute, McKenzie, or even Schneider or Wolf. I’m not liking what I’m hearing about Murphy and Ball. Jmo...​

We don't know what Ball will do. Rumors rumors rumors. From what I've read Ball is very well thought of around the league. Chances are that he would NOT be just like TT. All we asked of TT is to bolster the roster with a few veterans for depth. He didn't roll that way, but Ball just might. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a GM who has a terrific grasp of the salary cap situation. If he surrounds himself with good football people who knows? Maybe that's the formula?
Personally, I'm pulling for BGute. But I'm just a fan and am willing to wait and see how our new GM does in this draft.

Back