Ted Thompson may have to start rebuilding offensive line

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
As much as the Packers GM needs to sign K Mason Crosby and a couple of the other soon-to-be free agents, the biggest challenge he faces this off-season is figuring out how he's going to protect Aaron Rodgers in the years to come.

Continue reading...

Maybe Ted and the MilwJS got the idea from posters here. Some have been asking for a little shoring up of the line for a couple of years now. No depth on the line.

Any good free agent offensive lineman out there? We certainly have plenty of cap space to go after some.

I think the O-line should be built with the draft. They already have a strong starting offensive line. Depth is the issue. I wouldn't want to spend on FAs for depth when the draft is pretty deep with quality guys. Save the Cap space for a stud ILB and/or TE.

Break the bank signing all those guys. However the Packers MUST protect their biggest investment.

T.J Lang and that right shoulder surgery he just had concerns me the most. His left shoulder is apparently also banged up.
Ironic that he just came off one of his best seasons of his seven year NFL career with TWO banjoed shoulders.

I think there could be a chance after next season Sitton retires instead of signing a new deal. He has a bad back and other injuries that nag on him. He might just say screw it I got a ring and money no more need to beat up my body for another 4-5 years.

Let me be the first - "if the price is right". :) However, I think addressing the O-Line in general may not be the right approach. Tretter seems to be pretty good and versatile, but is particularly effective where he was drafted to be - hence, center isn't an issue with Linsley and him. The real problem with the depth at guard was that they were forced into duty at tackle - with Taylor/Walker/Rotheram, there's probably a decent backup there at guard. Tackle is the big problem - Bak is OK, but an improvement there would give us super depth (meaning a new starter with Bak on the bench). And, of course, there are limits to how far any line can be stretched before breaking - this year was pretty horrendous in terms of availability.

Agree on rebuilding the line via the draft. Any tackle that is above average gets a bunch of money tossed at him and even the guys who aren't decent still get paid so it seems like a lot of money to throw at the position to be a back-up. That is one place I'd be fine with just drafting a quality guy in the first few rounds. Need someone who can play OT besides Tretter - and even Tretter is probably just a stop-gap, not a starter.

Agree you can get by with Taylor/Walker/Rotterham on the inside as depth. Only the team truly knows what the story is on Sitton and Lang regarding injuries. If there is any thought that one of them may not be back after 2016, then I probably also draft another RT/OG type guy in rds 4-5. There is enough money under the CAP to keep them all in 2017, but that may not totally be the team's choice, so I'd plan to have guys ready and waiting.

Back