Super Bowl

Half Empty

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that they played last night. Pretty interesting game, even though the Pack wasn't in it. :)

It looked like Mike McCarthy was coaching the Falcons in the second half. Seriously, I was having flashbacks to some of our losses.

Ya, actually, I was going to post something about the Seattle debacle, but that was on every other forum, and this place is too classy, so I just figured I gently jerk a few chains.

It looked like Mike McCarthy was coaching the Falcons in the second half. Seriously, I was having flashbacks to some of our losses.
I was going to post the exact same thing! McCarthy must be relieved the onus will finally be off him. What a fold job by Atlanta! Epic.

I though the game was extremely well officiated, and it helped that Fox had replays of just about every penalty called.

But I'm pretty sure towards the end of the game they missed a huge combo cut block by the Patriots. I think it was on NE's last drive in regulation. I don't know how they missed it, and it's not a "let 'em play" kind of penalty either.

Also I guess photo going around showing James White knee was down before ball crossed the goal line. Should have not been a TD granted ball would have been only inches from goalline but never know what happens on next snap of ball.

I though the game was extremely well officiated, and it helped that Fox had replays of just about every penalty called.

But I'm pretty sure towards the end of the game they missed a huge combo cut block by the Patriots. I think it was on NE's last drive in regulation. I don't know how they missed it, and it's not a "let 'em play" kind of penalty either.

I saw that too and screamed at the TV over it. Not to mention they missed the double facemask penalty when ATL was called for holding that pushed them back the play before the sack that pushed them out of FG range. If they call the Face masks it would have been offsetting penalties and replay second down.

First, of course, there are always going to be things that are called incorrectly or just missed altogether.

However, I've always wanted to see a follow-up program where a particularly egregious call occurs, and the official responsible is shown it and asked something like 'what did you think you saw?'.

On the other hand, with the technology we've got, I think it'd also be interesting to be able to see exactly what the official is looking at. I imagine there are numerous instances where the line judge is looking at a hold and misses a cut block, or, on the TD, can we really expect an official to concentrate on the knee, and the ball, while in the midst of bunch of big, moving bodies - especially when slow motion replay from different angles is necessary to even bring the call into question? Obviously just a long way of saying that it's impossible, at game speed, to cover all the possibilities. Maybe 22 officials, one for each player on the field, would work, but even then, one guy would be responsible for seeing the knee and ball at the same time. OK, I'm done - my head hurts. :)

Also I guess photo going around showing James White knee was down before ball crossed the goal line. Should have not been a TD granted ball would have been only inches from goalline but never know what happens on next snap of ball.

There is no definitive angle or picture... if you look at the video there's a defender in the way of the moment the ball crossed the line. Tough call.. But not enough evidence to overturn.. But also just as much proof it was legit.

I hate it when games end like this..

Back