Spread offenses in college are “a huge disservice” to players

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Not a Tom Cable fan but myself and others have been preaching this a long time !

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...k&utm_post=3681247&utm_source=FB - SNF on NBC

The increasing popularity of spread offenses at the college level have made it hard for NFL teams to evaluate the ability of rising quarterbacks to play in the more buttoned-down style seen at the professional level, but Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable says that the issue extends to other positions as well.

Cable said that part of the reason why the team has moved players like J.R. Sweezy and 2015 sixth-rounder Kristjan Sokoli from defense to offense is because he feels like he has to retrain linemen to play outside of a spread system anyway because of their poor fundamentals.

“I’m not wanting to offend anybody, but college football, offensively, has gotten to bereally, really bad fundamentally,” Cable said Tuesday on 710 ESPN in Seattle. “Unfortunately, I think we’re doing a huge disservice to offensive football players, other than a receiver, that come out of these spread systems. “The runners aren’t as good. They aren’t taught how to run. The blockers aren’t as good. The quarterbacks aren’t as good. They don’t know how to read coverage and throw progressions. They have no idea.”

There are a broad range of offenses using spread principles at the college level and the teams employing them are making those decisions based on what they think will win them games. That may not match up with what Cable or other coaches are looking for, but we’ve seen teams adapt by installing some of those elements in their own playbooks. Without any developmental or minor league in place, that’s going to have to continue as long as those schemes remain in vogue at schools around the country.

I can remember some good conversations on this subject especially from Packinatl and Mark. Good article.

Has to also have an effect on defensive player evaluation, doesn't it?

Spread offenses allow defensive players to get a lot of 1-on-1 work, and defensively the fundamentals don't change.

Plus, if you're the type of defender who can stay on the field for 70-80 snaps a game... That doesn't hurt either.

Spread offenses allow defensive players to get a lot of 1-on-1 work, and defensively the fundamentals don't change.

Plus, if you're the type of defender who can stay on the field for 70-80 snaps a game... That doesn't hurt either.
disagree .... spread has hurt run defense and kids ability to play in 4-3 schemes and vs anything pro/I based. Fundamentals of the game are being hurt on both sides.

I once again signed a petition asking both the youth and HS federation to ban the spread at the lower levels where fundamental skills need to be taught and nurtured. The opposition to it is growing yearly.... matter of time until we get it done.

Doesn't it hurt the WR too? Don't they run simpler routes in a spread and also don't learn how to adjust when the QB is in trouble since he run or pass decision is made so quickly?

Doesn't it hurt the WR too? Don't they run simpler routes in a spread and also don't learn how to adjust when the QB is in trouble since he run or pass decision is made so quickly?
Depends who's spread offense is being run. I believe Brian Kelley has a vertical route tree that puts pressure on the defense by attacking the vertical.

disagree .... spread has hurt run defense and kids ability to play in 4-3 schemes and vs anything pro/I based. Fundamentals of the game are being hurt on both sides.

I once again signed a petition asking both the youth and HS federation to ban the spread at the lower levels where fundamental skills need to be taught and nurtured. The opposition to it is growing yearly.... matter of time until we get it done.

So, are the fundamentals bad as in blocking tackling, catching, running or are you talking that their skill set doesn't match the NFL/pro game? Also, why stifle innovation by banning the spread offense? Kids still need to tackle, block, run and catch regardless of offensive and defensive scheme. Those are the fundamentals. The nuances of each defense or offense are not fundamentals, imo, or are they fundamentals of a system? It seems that anything not favoring the pro game may get a bad rap in order to serve their purpose.

Last edited:
Hurts defenses because forces kids out of position. Emphasis is on speed so lot of kids who should play safety are moves to OLB and linevackers moving to DE Trickle down effect

Hurts defenses because forces kids out of position. Emphasis is on speed so lot of kids who should play safety are moves to OLB and linevackers moving to DE Trickle down effect

Interesting. I read an Ask Vic segment and he mentioned how the pro game changed , at one time, to favor the passing game as far as the offensive line was concerned. Faster, speedier lineman who could be effective in the pulling run game, because they weren't allowed to grab a defensive player, were built at a lighter weight. Then the rule changed and emphasis was on passing game where O lineman could get their hands on defensive lineman so the lineman of choice were big and tall. The players in those days, had to adapt as well. Trickle down had to occur then too, right? Those suited for line play, earlier, were no longer suited for it so they had to assume different positions. It's the evolution of the game.

Back