Sizing up the Packers' draft on the Web

I thought TT went BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, addressing needs, but not with the guys we expected. Which was to be expected :D

I fully expected a DL in round one. Actually mocked Clark on another forum's a draft compo. Others were talked about way more, but after watching film, I see what we were looking for:

Raji's hiatus left us without a 3-down NT/DT, unless Pennel becomes one. It WAS a big need. Clark can maybe become a 3-down guy, but likely starts as a run stuffer. I did see him push the pocket more than I expected (Billings did less of that than advertised), and held well against double teams (Butler mos def didn't do that). The 'Bama guys may be maxed out, and weren't THAT impressive on film. Clark is so very young, no telling what he can become.

Jack's freefall was weird, but explainable by his medical, which we'll never see. It's obvious we weren't the only team with concerns. If he becomes a stud, a whole lotta teams will look like fools. If he's a medical bust, we'll look smart. Very little middle ground.

Spriggs and Murphy make SO much sense: We needed a pass-blocking OT backup - Spriggs is that. We needed developmental options for 2017 due to UFAs and cap - Both give us that. A good, but thin Oline suddenly looks good AND deep.

Fackrell looks pretty raw and lacking in strength, especially for a 24-year-old. Several good traits, though, and was versatile in his last year. He was coming back from ACL last season, so maybe he's 100% only now. But he doesn't have to start in 2016. He gets a year behind CMIII, Pep, Perry and maybe Elliott, so very little pressure. OLB is a premium position, gotta keep it stocked.

If Lowry can overcome his T-Rex arms, we have a pure 3-4 DE. Definitely has the feet and the never-quit attitude needed for the thankless position. I was more worried about our Dline than most, glad to see it addressed.

We needed a weakside ILB, we got one in Martinez. Haven't watched his tape yet, so I can say little else. Under most pressure to do well as a rookie, maybe unrealistically so. I don't expect him starting weak 1, and I don't expect an amazing ILB corps in general. I hope we have enough to get by.

We needed more speed and depth at WR. We got that with Davis. Has a lot of development to do, but at least the camp competition will be great fun to follow.

Fine with the first 2 picks, the more I read about them the more I like them. Same could be said for Martinez and Davis. Very unsure about Fackrell and Lowry seems like a reach.

Intrigued by some of the UDFA's though. Like that we are trying a punter and Brown is a nice pickup.

Back