Senior OL Dan Voltz announces retirement from football

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
6_1143172-150x150.jpg

The University of Wisconsin offensive line was expected to be a strong suit for the 2016 season, part of that reason was the strong leadership of senior Dan Voltz.

His leadership was on display this spring, as he sat out recovering from a knee injury and noticing the talent of sophomore Michael Dieter at center chose to go to the coaching staff and suggest a move to left guard.

That same leadership and reflection came in to play as fall camp went along and something simply wasn’t right for Voltz. On Tuesday, Mike Lucas of UWBadgers.com had the announcement that Voltz is retiring from football before his senior season got underway.

News from #Badgers camp: OL Dan Voltz has elected to retire from football. Called it tough decision. Plans on staying close to the program.

— Mike Lucas (@LucasAtLarge) August 23, 2016

It isn’t all that surprising of a move, as Voltz has had a long and tough relationship with injuries during his time at Wisconsin. He started out his career injured and redshirting his first season on campus.

Following that, Voltz played in 11 games with six starts in the 2013 season and made a full season in 2014 with 14 starts at center. He would suffer another knee injury in 2015, missing six total games, including the final five games of the season.

Voltz was considered one of the best offensive linemen in the country prior to this season, earning some preseason All-American and All-Big Ten honors. He was also listed as the No. 18 player in the Big Ten by talking10.

Overall, Voltz appeared in 32 games during his career and made 27 starts at center. He was also part of the offensive line that paved the way for an incredible rushing attack in 2014 — one that set the school record by averaging 320.1 yards per game.

No doubt his leadership and experience will be missed, but it appears Wisconsin has a gem on their hands in redshirt freshman Jon Dietzen, who is expected to start at left guard with Voltz out. There’s also a chance for sophomore Micah Kapoi to take the starting job while Dietzen works his way in to game experience at left guard.

The post Senior OL Dan Voltz announces retirement from football appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

I feel bad for him, but understand. My second oldest son blew out a knee in college football, and tried a comeback, and ended up having another surgery. He ended up having three surgeries.

More power to Dan. I hope he finds what he wants outside football. It provided him a great opportunity to go to college, but the cost has already been high with his health.

He was going to be a real force on that offensive line, had his health permitted.

Last edited:
As a guy who has his fair share of sports related injuries (and who finally cut his football career somewhat short (I am a terror in the Madison Sports and Social Club flag football league)), I understand Dan, and wish him the best. At least he gets to stay close to the program, and hopefully he can still help out with the underclassmen on the line.

Reactions: TW
Back