Sam Shields - 4th Concussion

TW

Reaction score
The concussion Shields got against Jacksonville could mark the end of his career. Four seems to be about the limit from what we're seeing. The Packers may very well leave him on the sidelines unless they desperately need him.

He's been a heck of a competitor. But, for his sake, I hope they all do the right thing.

I feel horrible for Shields. I often wonder if it's like in my younger days when I would get hammered and 6 beer cans would be laying around and someone would ask me how many beers I had. Looking at the 6 empties, I'd quickly admit to 6 knowing full well that I had already threw 6 other empties away at some point during the night. 4 confirmed concussions may not be the whole story.

For his sake, I hope he really evaluates his health and errs on the side of caution.

Last edited:
Depends on what the neurologist says.... it's not the number per say. 1 can do as much damage as 5, it really depends on many factors. I suggest we let the medical folks decide this type of thing.

I had three concussions. One playing high school football, one in Vietnam (they treated it like a headache. Take 3 APCs and if it still hurts, see me in the morning. It still hurt so they gave me two days to rest and drink beer!), and a third, when I jumped up on a rail fence and vaulted over a stock tank filled with water. I landed on the opposite side, slipped, and hit my head on the ground. It took me over three months recovering from the last one.

I worried about what would happen when I got older, but so far, so good. I wouldn't recommend anyone going for any more than happen by accident. Seeing what's happened with so many people like Junior Seau tells me that if a person finds themselves having any effects down the road, get into a doctor's office and let them help you.

In Sam's case, like said, it's up to the doctors. I hope it works out well for him no matter what.

These are the ones we actually know about too... Really like Shields. Hope he can come back and stay safe, but if not, he has to do whats best for him and his family.

Back