Rookie contracts getting done

57packer

Draft Guru
2024 Draft Guru
Reaction score
What a far cry from days of old when rookie deals seemed to take forever to get done and hold-outs into fall camp were practically the norm for your first round pick, and sometimes the second rounders as well.

Trevor Davis' contract is done and the team is working on all of the other deals as well. Tom Silverstein reports in MilwJS that they are trying to get all the deals done before rookie orientation. Likely won't happen, but still quite a difference from the old days.

On a related note, Silverstein also reports that once the rookie deals are completed the team will still be about $9mil under the CAP. I think the lesser figures we see being used at this time are accurate at the moment, but fail to account for the fact that once a contract is signed, a lesser contract drops off the "top-51" list. TT can maybe get an o-lineman extended during the season if he wants and still have some CAP to roll over into next year.

Ease of rookie signings and capping of tippy top draft pick salary were probably the best things in the CBA. No more "Loser's Curse" where having the top pick was a huge cap risk. No more holdouts ruining a rookie's first camp.

TT left 9M unused for a good reason. I think this time he will wait for some or most of the season to unfold before doing any extensions. There are so many candidates - better to wait and see who performs/stays healthy.

Besides the Oline (Bak, Lang, Sitton, Tretter), upcoming UFAs include Eddie Lacy, Datone Jones, Nick Perry, Jared Cook, Julius Peppers, Sam Barrington and Micah Hyde. Too early to tell who has a extension-worthy season and who not.

I had heard that Atlanta has their entire rookie class signed already.

Back