Reality Check Time & Concerns

Terranimal

Reaction score
First a big thank you to all the informative posts from games and practices! We have a great mix of posters from different sites that are knowledgeable with great insight, that make it a joy being here and reading here!

Last week stirred the pot with an overly positive thread. This week am going back to what te title implies here..reality. Back under the later Favre era under Sherman, was writing articles for various online Pack news sites and working and writing stuff for Rob Rang. There were 3 of us that took a lot of heat for what we saw with the team but hoping we were wrong. Packinatl, Dennis and myself. Unfortunately we ended up proved correct as Favre never did get another ring.

Over 20 plus years we have been lucky to have 2 HOF QBs. But to only have 2 rings to show for it is beyond pitiful. Imo the bar set and example is the Pats and how they coach and aquire players. Wolf built this team aiming towards who was the Super Bowl teams to beat not just our division foes. Sherman was in over his head, Thompson lost his way and was too stubborn and conservative to use free agency and player trades. MM will get to a bit later on.

When Gutey was hired, we all knew what he was inheriting: An average team besides Rodgers with cupboards bare for depth and many holes. We knew that it would take more then one draft as this team goes through a rebuild. So why did so many out there think Super Bowl this year? It takes more then a healthy Rodgers. Look back to Favres era under Sherman. It's possible of course depending on factors such as health not only our team but other teams. But to think that from one draft we are a Super Bowl type jugernault like Eagles or Pats isn't realistic imo.

That said, I am encouraged with Gutey so far. He seems to be more Wolf like then Thompson in his short tenure here. There was no way to fix this team in one off season unless we had 10 picks in first 3 rounds.

And while I wanted James and a few other players this draft, the reality is we were more then one impact player away. And say we had taken James and he got hurt and out for season, then what? Everyone would be criticizing the pick with all the other holes on this team.

Gutey had a tough decision to make which area of the team to address in this draft. He went to the area that was the strength and depth of the draft....Corner. Then following draft theories and Wolf, covered his bets as Wolf did when we lost Newsome and Moss was killing us, by double dipping. Wolf used all 3 rounds. What surprised me was Gutey got my two top Corners of the draft though some disagreed on them but that's another thing love about this site is intelligent conversations as opinions vary.

But he didn't stop there as he brought back TW through free agency.

And while this recent trade might not be anything to write home about, at least he made it and rolled the dice without it costing us anything and doubt he's done yet.

Now where my comcerns come in is final roster. In past GM and HC go thru it together and push comes to shove GM had final say though that didn't happen much at least not in RW/MH era. But with new power structure one has to wonder how this plays out behind closed doors not what we are spoon fed thru PR.

Now for MM. Real concerns here. For years we have discussed and questioned if it was the players or the coaching why players haven't worked out. The easy answer was to say a bit of both. If that's the case then why did some OL that bombed here go on to being quality players on other teams?

And count me in agreement with others on MM not playing starters more in preseason. Yes understand no one wants to see a starter hurt. Butvon other hand one has to build up from taking hits plus this team is always slow out of the gate starting every season. Also agree practice cannot replace what actual game playing does.

Gone is Nelson and and now have some new players that need to gel with Rodgers in actual game speed and for adjustments. With games won in the trenches, the same can be said for our starting OL.

As for Petine really can't form an opinion until after a season. But what does upset me is how depleted on talent given all the picks Thompson spent over the years on it. Bares the question does Petine even has enough talent/tools to run his true defense?

Now for a left field thought question. Back under Fritz the innovator, he changed the Safety position when he moved a good Corner to Safety and changed how a Safety was used.

Given how bad our Safeties are and our surplus at Corner, might there be one that could be moved and take over that role?

Bottom line: this team is about where I expected them to be. We're in a rebuild period of some type. Could we make the SB? Yes with a lot of luck, health, Petine getting players to develop and some to over achieve.

Can Rodgers still carry this team and make up for the short comings on OL, RB, and Defense or is he now at the age where he needs help? It is unrealistic imo to expect him to play at the MVP every game and and at the level he did

Actually I think they have moved Rollins from CB ot safety and think he is going to make the team as a safety.

First a big thank you to all the informative posts from games and practices! We have a great mix of posters from different sites that are knowledgeable with great insight, that make it a joy being here and reading here!

Last week stirred the pot with an overly positive thread. This week am going back to what te title implies here..reality. Back under the later Favre era under Sherman, was writing articles for various online Pack news sites and working and writing stuff for Rob Rang. There were 3 of us that took a lot of heat for what we saw with the team but hoping we were wrong. Packinatl, Dennis and myself. Unfortunately we ended up proved correct as Favre never did get another ring.

Well said! We do have a lot of great posters, and their different views, and insights, makes the site great!

There are times we should be positive, and there are times where we need to take the gloves off, and call things the way we see them. In my case, I have a "football coaching mentality." I always believe that you can be doing better. You just need to concentrate more, play harder, and get your assignments right, because you understand everyone else's responsibility when the ball is snapped, regardless of what side of the ball you're on. With that mentality, nothing is ever 100% perfect!

The objective we have to have is to wade through the constant coach speak babble, and cheerleader articles, and find the reality you're talking about. When we find it, it often comes off as if we were anti-Packers, but nothing could be further from the truth. We're just being honest about it all. It's going to be an interesting year, and I'm not looking at winning the whole thing. I just don't believe we have the coaches to make it happen. Too many weak links.

Well said! We do have a lot of great posters, and their different views, and insights, makes the site great!

There are times we should be positive, and there are times where we need to take the gloves off, and call things the way we see them. In my case, I have a "football coaching mentality." I always believe that you can be doing better. You just need to concentrate more, play harder, and get your assignments right, because you understand everyone else's responsibility when the ball is snapped, regardless of what side of the ball you're on. With that mentality, nothing is ever 100% perfect!

The objective we have to have is to wade through the constant coach speak babble, and cheerleader articles, and find the reality you're talking about. When we find it, it often comes off as if we were anti-Packers, but nothing could be further from the truth. We're just being honest about it all. It's going to be an interesting year, and I'm not looking at winning the whole thing. I just don't believe we have the coaches to make it happen. Too many weak links.

Reposting ...... I can't say it better than this!

Nice post Terranimal. I would like to address one point though, because I see it a lot but it isn't accurate. The last four years the Packers have started out well, not always smooth; here's the record for the first six games of each of the last four years:

2014 4-2
2015 6-0
2016 4-2
2017 4-2

I would argue that the 6-0 might have been the ugliest even though we were undefeated after 6 games.

I agree with dubz im not worried about AR. We are nitpicking to worry about a stud qb. He is doing his part and has for a long time. There are concerns on this team.... AR doesnt keep me up at night.

Coming out the gate hot is nice and we have the last few yrs as pointed out. The nfl is a marathon though and like chris carter said many years ago. Its the hottest team at the end nit the best.

If we are being real. The ol is a problem right now. No freaking way would i put AR behind that mess in a worthless game. I dont care about the he doesnt know his wrs.... He is forced to meet these guys early. Im going to go as far as to say we are ok at running back. We drafted 3 last yr. 3. Give these guys a chance they did ok last yr. Hell jones had more 20 yard runs then anyone. Hes a playmaker. Like it or not he made pkays in limited time. The problem is health at the position. This team staying healthy has been a joke.

On d they got a ways to go to be a force but there are so.e things goong in the right direction. Cb is on the up. Its unproven but these guys have some balls and are ready for the challenge. We wont miss Randall take that to the bank. Right now the safeties are a mess. Haha imo is hot trash. Next to him jones is lost and brice has flashed but again been hurt and also has had bad showing. If im gute im on the horn about what it takes to get ET. Pass rush is full of injuries but if healthy could be ok. I think our dl is good but has underwhelmed thus far.

A think we we are average at this point and coild move up alittle. Top 10?? Nah not at this point and prob not this yr. Im not a neg nelly though so i will say we have seen the young guys get hands on footballs. Thats huge and has been missed for awhile.

Overall its the nfl. Anything can happen. Nobody saw what philly did last yr out the gate bc the yr before they were very average. Our biggest hurdle is overall health. Everyone is 0-0 today. One week at a time and we will see what happens. Bring on the bares. I love this freakin team. Lets be fans for a change and not critics. I heard from a pitt fan 10 yrs ago. They dont pay my paycheck so im just gonna enjoy the ride or shut it off. Gpg my fellow green and gold brothers and sisters

Oh and im stoked to say ill be in minny week 2 for a wedding. I hate the color purple ha

My biggest worry is at OT.
GB will be ok if both Bak and Bugy stay healthy.
If one of them goes down, they can compensate and still function, but it will affect the flow/effectiveness of the offense.
If both go down (at the same time), they are screwed.
If there is any way they can find/trade for a 1/2-way competent backup OT, I'm all for it!

I have less worries about the depth/talent at the interior OL.

Second biggest worry is about backup OLB..........anyone behind Reggie Gilbert.
After Perry/CM3/Gilbert, is just SMH.

This defense will need at least a full season to become what it is supposed to be. New DC, half the roster is new and/or rookies.

Hundley/Kizer or Boyle ??? Doesn't matter if Rodgers goes down for an extended period of time we are screwed again anyway.

It's a mixed bag for this team.
On defense, I think the DL and CB positions are good enough to win with. Some more depth would be good, but neither position is a dire need right now.
The S and ILB and OLB positions need work. Between those 3 positions they need an infusion of 3-4 top tier players - ie front line free agents or top 2-3 round draft picks. HHCD isn't they guy they thought he was and they'll need a replacement. Between Brice and Jones you have to hope one will work out. Martinez is fine at ILB but they need one more as I think Burks will be more of a coverage guy than a 3-down guy. At OLB they need to replace both CM3 and Perry. Gilbert might turn out to be an option but you'll need at least one early pick, maybe more.

On offense they need as much or more. They need a back-up QB but so does almost every other team. You just have to keep working to find guys or maybe sign a veteran. A RB would be nice, but plenty of teams seem to win without top-level talent at that spot. They are good at TE for a couple of years, but need to find someone younger. Fortunately good ones can be found all over the draft.
WR is an unknown right now. Adams is a top-tier talent but after that you got mostly nothing you can count on. Cobb is done and you've got 5-6 young guys who have given you little to nothing to make you believe they have a running mate for Adams on the outside or even a competent slot guy. Basically the odds say you will have 1-2 good players in that bunch but you probably still need to draft one early, and soon.
OL continues to be a problem and they need to continue to push themselves to add talent. They need to draft an OT in the first 2-3 rounds every other year and a later round guy who can play outside or inside every year. It's too bad Madison has not been available. It's hard to keep filling those spots with UDFAs.

Bottom line they are about 6-7 good players away - it's going to take 2 more off-seasons to get this team where it needs to be - assuming AR is still playing well and no significant injuries take away the core talent. Fortunately they have 4 picks in the top 3 rounds next spring and with Cobb and CM3 coming off the books, they should have CAP space to add a veteran. Some luck and smart use of the draft and FA next spring could move the timetable ahead a year.

Back