Preseason thoughts so far...

Let's keep this real... we played the Browns who are rubbish( a lot of college teams can beat them) and the Raiders who just are not that deep.

I can't get any kind of feel for this FB team yet. Team still has a funky feel to it..and no I can't put a finger on it or explain. It just still has a lot of the same vibe as last year.

Nope. Nothing yet to hang your hat on. If anything, I'm concerned about Nelson's ability to hit the field running when the season starts We know the Packers offense struggled when Cobb was our #1. Can't go that route again.

On defense.... uneasy about the possible suspensions, and whether or not the defensive line can hold up.

I don't think Hyde is trade as he's to verstiale to trade as he can play CB or safety. Could he move a extra LB for a DT perhaps...

whoa. weren't you the one who was hating on hyde all last season? i think i remember you demanding that the packers cut him, even when all the tv commentators were singing his praises.

I remember a comment made about Ryan's punting was to do with consistency. He often booted it real long with a lower trajectory, and was too returnable.

this is exactly the same thing i've been reading about mortell. his hang time is not consistently good.

Reactions: TW
I agree RTB. It's exactly what they are saying. I think it's a canned response. It goes back to the era when they were blaming the punters for all their coverage problems. It beats hanging the other ten guys and the coaches out to dry. And, after all, the public is "too dumb" to understand the facts.

I remember Ray Guy. The guy would boom one 65 yards, then kick the next one 40. Nobody said a word to him about not being consistent. Now, if you kick three of them 45 yards, and then shank one in the 4th quarter for 28 yards, and it ends up letting the other team score to beat you, I'm concerned. Could it happen with Mortell? It sure could. It already happened with Masthay. Nobody is immune to making a bad kick now and then. They just have to make sure it doesn't happen when they need a good kick.

What I like, so far, about Mortell is his ability to kick it inside the 20 with little or no return. If he doesn't catch on in GB, I believe he's going to play elsewhere.

IIRC, we've had punting problems ever since we let we let Craig Hentrich walk away in FA. At that time there was no way we would pay a punter so much money, but Hentrich could also kick in a pinch. We've struggled ever since. Mortell has provided good competition, but when you're trying to take a veteran's job, you have to beat him- not just tie him. I think the competition is still on, though apparently Masthay got all the kicks the other day.

Kentrell Brice might be this years UFA surprise. Heard he is getting time with kick coverage A team.

I'd say it's seldom that Ted Thompson surprises us by suddenly cutting a half decent player. Off the top of my head right now, I can't think of a bigger surprise than the Jon Ryan release. Can you?

a bigger one? probably not. but a couple years ago in the final cuts coming out of training camp, they cut jumal rolle and held onto demetri goodson. they also cut chris banjo (who later returned). not exactly huge gaffes, but head-scratchers.

Yes, Jamal Rolle was also a cut that at the time seemed a real mystery.
However, after he was cut by the Pack he never really amounted to much: The Saints picked him up and then the Bills released him soon after that in 2013. So in other words, in retrospect it was a good release.

In contrast, Punter Jon Ryan has had quite the successful career in Seattle.

Back