Prediction of Roster Cut Down

I don't see keeping six WR to cut Rip

Agree with the sentiment. I don't think it's Rip though, I think it's going to be a 6th WR or Kuhn. Rip was a draft pick and you've seen how TT likes to go with his picks!

I'm at 46 "locks" after the first preseason game and 43 after suspensions week. 10 spots still up for grabs
QB-Aaron/Tolzein/Hundley
RB-Lacey/Starks
FB-Kuhn
TE-Rodgers/Quarless
WR-Nelson/Cobb/Adams/Montgomery/Janis
T-Bulaga/Bakhtiari/Barclay
G-Sitton/Lang
C Linsley/Tretter
20-19 with Quarless suspended

CB-Shields/Hayward/Rollins/Randall/Gunter
S-Burnett/HaHa/Hyde/Richardson
ILB-Barrington/Palmer/Ryan
OLB-Peppers/Clay/Perry/Neal/Mulamba
DE-Daniels/Guion/Boyd/Jones
DT-Raji/Pennel

22-20 counting Guion & Jones suspension.

Crosby/Masthay/Goode

3 Specials

QB-Moved Hundley back in after a solid week of flashes in camp and during the week. I still think they'll keep Blanchard on the P/S as the number 3 QB if A-Rod & Tolzien go down(we'd be scrwed), I think MM would go to Blanchard before Hundley.

RB-I think it's down to Neal & Crocket, I know Harris had a good run vs NE, but I don't see him as the type of 3rd RB we'd keep on the roster.

FB-With the way the roster is shaping I think they keep 2 FB's. I actually think if Rip keeps playing well in special teams he'll take Eilliot spot on SS and get on the roster that way.

WR-It's going to be hard to cut either White of Pinkard. If I had to chose i'd take Pinkard, hope we can keep 6.

TE-PLEASE SOMEONE STEP UP! I think Perillo is leading the pack, but will need to get back onto the field after the concussion. Backman has shown flashes but he's not going to contribute this year. We'll need at least 2 with quarless out week 1.

T-I took Barclay off and then put him back in while typing this. Awful performance vs NE and not a great training camp, but there doesn't appear to be anyone behind him.

G-Would like to see Josh Walker make the team, seen some great write ups on him and i'm not a big fan of lane taylor.

C-Nothing to see here

CB-I think the top 5 are locked, don't think they carry 6 with the ability to play Hyde at CB

S-Same as before, up to the final number if Banjo can stay on the team for special teams.

ILB-I think Bradford makes it by default, Thomas hasn't had the training camp he had last year and there's no one behind them.

OLB-Watching Elliot play vs NE pissed me off. All he did was run up field and around the OT to get to a QB who didn't step up in the pocket. That doesn't work in the regular season as they'll run right at you. I'm cheering for the dark horse in Rasco to make the team over Elliot at this point.

DE/DL-I'll group these since Guion/Pennel play both. Only 4 locks for week one, I think it's clear at this point that Gaston is pretty close to a lock at this point. Thornton has had the best week of his career, which isn't saying much, but if he continues like this he'll make the week 1 roster. He'll be cut pretty quickly when Guion/Jones come back.

Specials-Nothing to see here

I'm at 46 "locks" after the first preseason game and 43 after suspensions week. 10 spots still up for grabs

QB-Moved Hundley back in after a solid week of flashes in camp and during the week. I still think they'll keep Blanchard on the P/S as the number 3 QB if A-Rod & Tolzien go down(we'd be scrwed), I think MM would go to Blanchard before Hundley.

not 100% positive, but it is my understanding that Blanchard is not eligible for the practice squad. he spent one season on the bears practice squad and two more seasons on the panthers practice squad.

QB-Aaron/Tolzein/Hundley
RB-Lacey/Starks
FB-Kuhn
TE-Rodgers/Quarless
WR-Nelson/Cobb/Adams/Montgomery/Janis
T-Bulaga/Bakhtiari/Barclay
G-Sitton/Lang
C Linsley/Tretter
20-19 with Quarless suspended

S-Burnett/HaHa/Hyde/Richardson
ILB-Barrington/Palmer/Ryan
OLB-Peppers/Clay/Perry/Neal/Mulamba
DE-Daniels/Guion/Boyd/Jones
DT-Raji/Pennel

22-20 counting Guion & Jones suspension.

Crosby/Masthay/Goode

3 Specials

RB-I think it's down to Neal & Crocket, I know Harris had a good run vs NE, but I don't see him as the type of 3rd RB we'd keep on the roster.

FB-With the way the roster is shaping I think they keep 2 FB's. I actually think if Rip keeps playing well in special teams he'll take Eilliot spot on SS and get on the roster that way.

WR-It's going to be hard to cut either White of Pinkard. If I had to chose i'd take Pinkard, hope we can keep 6.

TE-PLEASE SOMEONE STEP UP! I think Perillo is leading the pack, but will need to get back onto the field after the concussion. Backman has shown flashes but he's not going to contribute this year. We'll need at least 2 with quarless out week 1.

T-I took Barclay off and then put him back in while typing this. Awful performance vs NE and not a great training camp, but there doesn't appear to be anyone behind him.

G-Would like to see Josh Walker make the team, seen some great write ups on him and i'm not a big fan of lane taylor.

C-Nothing to see here

CB-I think the top 5 are locked, don't think they carry 6 with the ability to play Hyde at CB

S-Same as before, up to the final number if Banjo can stay on the team for special teams.

ILB-I think Bradford makes it by default, Thomas hasn't had the training camp he had last year and there's no one behind them.

OLB-Watching Elliot play vs NE pissed me off. All he did was run up field and around the OT to get to a QB who didn't step up in the pocket. That doesn't work in the regular season as they'll run right at you. I'm cheering for the dark horse in Rasco to make the team over Elliot at this point.

DE/DL-I'll group these since Guion/Pennel play both. Only 4 locks for week one, I think it's clear at this point that Gaston is pretty close to a lock at this point. Thornton has had the best week of his career, which isn't saying much, but if he continues like this he'll make the week 1 roster. He'll be cut pretty quickly when Guion/Jones come back.

Specials-Nothing to see here

Nice job Ski

I still think we have 3 games to decide the 3rd RB, Neal has the inside track but it's going to be a fun battle between him and Crockett and Harris.

Watching Kuhn and Rip has been fun. Kuhn showed he can still block on Harris's TD run, and Rip showed the fire we need on Special Teams, they both might be too good to cut, but it's been fun watching both. I also noticed Clements did not rip out and burn away the Kuhn Dive play from the playbook, was disappointed to see that.

Perillo and Backman seem OK, feel they might make it by default with quarless out. I think one of them is getting cut before week 2, maybe Backman gets PS stashed.

Disappointed in Lane Taylor and Matt Rotheram. I was hoping Lane Taylor would take the next step, and heard good things about Rotheram when we scooped him during college free agency. Still a ways to go but I saw a lot more in Josh Walker than those 2.

With them looking like they're keeping 6 CBs, I put Hyde there, 3 Safeties with Hyde also backing them up 5 WRs seems likely to me with Janis grabbing the 5th spot.

3 QBs are a lock. No way they risk losing Hundley.

Personally I'm most intrigued by that battle for the #3 RB spot. Right now I give Neal the edge but Harris could definitely overtake him.

Rip seems destined for the PS at this point unless he turns into a beast on STs

I see a number of locks and a fair number of good bets:

Offense Locks - 20
QB-Aaron/Tolzein/Hundley
RB-Lacey/Starks
FB-Kuhn, Ripkowski
TE-Rodgers/Quarless
WR-Nelson/Cobb/Adams/Montgomery
OL-Bulaga/Bakhtiari/Barclay/Sitton/Lang/Linsley/Tretter

Good bets - Josh Walker. R.Neal, Perillo, Backman, Janis

I'm sure many will disagree, but I don't see Rip getting cut. I think TT wants to see what he drafted and he seems a solid special teams option. The first 7 on OL seem set and so far Walker seems like the best and most versatile of the rest. Taylor is another option but duplicates on inside guys and Rotterham seems like a good PS option for the inside spots. Nobody else looks worthy at this point. WR is set at the first 4 and I like Janis to get another development year. White could still challenge but will need to be better than he was on Thu.

I think QB is set which is too bad for Blanchard but I think TT keeps Hundley especially since he seems to be showing improvement. The interesting battle is at RB. I see Neal with an inside edge because of his value in the passing game, so far. That's not to say Crockett or Harris can't make a push. All 3 are playing well and they will at least try to sign one of the two that don't make the 53-man for the PS. At TE I think they keep 1 or 2 more than the locks, though I suspect they probably keep both of the good bets to start and maybe even Henry with Quarless on suspension. Yup, I know Backman has done nothing to distinguish himself but again, unless they are complete skrew-ups, TT tends to hang onto draft picks for a year.

Defense Locks - 25
S-Burnett/Clinton-Dix/Hyde/Richardson
ILB-Barrington/Palmer/Ryan/CM3
OLB-Peppers/Perry/Neal/Mulumba/Elliot
DL-Daniels/Guion/Boyd/Jones/Raji/Pennel/Ringo

Good bets - Gaston

I really don't know if they keep much more than what I see as locks. There are no DBs pushing for a spot other than Banjo. Goodson and Glover-Wright look like practice squad options. Gaston has been decent and seems like a solid option given the 2 suspensions to start the season. Some might wonder why I see Ringo as a lock but again, TT tends to want to have a decent look at his draft picks and I'm not sure anyone will push TT to make a tough call. Maybe Ringo gets cut when both Guion and Jones are back, but I'm thinking not. I see no LBs that are good bets. Guys like Vaughters, Thomas, Hubbard and Bradford just aren't making enough of a push. Maybe they keep one if they need a special teamer, but I don't see a solid bet in the bunch.

I'm not going to guess roster cuts.. but there are a few things i'm watching which over the coming weeks may lead to tough cut decisions..

1) Tolzein. If Tolzein improves and shows solid play Hundley and Blanchard get cut. You can find other Hundleys easily, and if Tolzein is solid no need for 3 QB's. The question then is does Hundley keep his PS spot from Blanchard.

EDIT: I just saw somewhere else in this thread that Blanchard may not be PS eligible. So that doesn't look good for Blanchard.

2) Gunter - if he continues to play and practice like he has then goodbye Goodson.

3) WR - Abby I think is as good as gone. Just can't stay healthy. So it's down to White and Janis at this point. Which one grabs the spot? I still think there is a chance they keep 6 WR though. We will see over the coming weeks what packages the offense is running.

4) FB - If Rip makes a mark on ST and can block then Kuhn is probably gone. Better to go with a young guy then keep an old guy one year too long.

5) and following FB we're onto RB - this is a position where I can see them keeping an extra. I cannot see a scenario where MM keeps 2 FB and has to let 2 of Neal, Starks, and Harris go. BIG question is can Starks show enough to make MM comfortable with letting Neal and/or Harris go. Neither one will make it to the PS...

That's a lot of IF's though.. And we have 2 more pre-season games and practices for thing to change..

And that's the only guarantee right now. Things will change depending on who keeps it up and who crashes and burns.

Last edited:
Can't see Abby on this team he has missed way to much time to make it anymore.

I agree with you, but worth noting that Janis missed a ton of time last camp and made the plays when he could to grab a spot. In theory if Abby clears the protocol by next week, gets into games 3 and 4 and makes a big impact, he could push either Janis or White out. Not saying it's likely, just saying it's possible to make a late push.

Back