Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
thedopesheet.jpg

PACKERS TRAVEL TO CANTON FOR HALL OF FAME GAME
The Green Bay Packers’ 2016 season officially kicks off Sunday night when they take on the Indianapolis Colts in the NFL/Hall of Fame Game at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio.

The Packers and Colts will close out the 2016 Enshrinement Weekend one day after Green Bay legend Brett Favre is formally enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame along with Edward DeBartolo Jr., Tony Dungy, Kevin Greene, Marvin Harrison, Orlando Pace, Ken Stabler and Dick Stanfel.

The Packers are making their fifth appearance in the Hall of Fame game and first since 2003. Green Bay holds a 1-2-1 record in the game:

1969 vs. Atlanta Falcons W, 38-24
1980 vs. San Diego Chargers T, 0-0*
1993 vs. Los Angeles Raiders L, 3-19
2003 vs. Kansas City Chiefs L, 0-9*
*Games ended early due to lightning and heavy rain

The Packers and Colts will meet during the preseason for the 10th time, with Indianapolis leading the series 5-4.

The last time the two teams met during the preseason came in 2011, when Green Bay traveled to Indianapolis for the third preseason game and came away with a 24-21 victory. That came a year after the Packers beat the Colts in Green Bay, 59-24, also in the third game of the preseason.

The Packers will return to Green Bay for their second preseason game, facing the Cleveland Browns in the Midwest Shrine Game on Friday, Aug. 12, at 7 p.m.

I'm wondering who you will be focusing on during preseason. In the past I have tried to keep an eye on a bunch of players without a ton of success. This season I am going to narrow my focus.

I will be watching the rookies, of course. Clark, Lowry, Spriggs, Martinez and Davis

I will also be trying to keep an eye on Janis, Randall, Rollins, Adams, Hundley and Lacy.

Just curious as to who you will be focused on.

going to watch martinez, davis, clark and spriggs for sure. i think all four have a chance of having meaningful contribution to the team this year.

i'll be watching janis to see if he really is the horrible route runner that so many claim him to be.

i'll be watching geronimo to see if he's too slow to be an nfl receiver or if maybe he can be an effective red-zone target.

i'll be watching hundley because i'm excited to see how quickly he develops.

i'll be watching gunter to see if he takes a second-year leap or if he suffers the sophomore slump.

i'll be watching ryan for the same reason.

I'm pretty much exactly in line with "reality" on this. Those rookies will likely be the ones who will have to contribute at times this year, especially Clark and Martinez.

The problem I have with watching Janis, or any WR, is that the camera doesn't usually show you the WR unless the ball is thrown in his direction. If the WR runs a crap route and it results in the throw not going his way, you typically never find out. You only find out is was a crappy route if there is an INT or a bad looking incompletion. Even this is harder to figure out this week because it sounds like Rodgers and Hundley aren't playing so you don't know if the QB screwed up as part of the problem and not the WR.

In addition to much of what reality posted, I'll also be just watching the second and third o-lines to see who'd getting the job done. With the OL getting older and some injury history, it would be good to define the 2-3 non-starters you can count on.

Game canceled due to poor field conditions. Packers still 0-0

because the field was "slick and hard". sounds like lambeau in january to me. get ready to see half of our home games cancelled. come to think of it, didn't they cancel the ice bowl?

Roger the clown and his clown car strike again rofl(

Sucks for Callahan he was supposed to start..

Last edited:
Roger is a clown but I don't think the NFL had anything to do with the field in Canton the other night.

Roger is a clown but I don't think the NFL had anything to do with the field in Canton the other night.

actually, today, goodell had nfl executive vice president troy vincent fall on his sword and take the blame.

"While the HOF field situation underscored the challenges in working with third parties, ultimately I am accountable for ensuring the field is of the highest standard," said Vincent, who added that the league's football operations department "must demand and expect an extra level of detail in adhering to NFL standards ... for non-club fields."

Back