Pre Camp Biggest Question at Cornerback ??

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
With Jaire Alexander, the Green Bay Packers have one of the premier defensive players in the NFL. With Rasul Douglas, the Packers have one of the premier ballhawks.

Alexander and Douglas should provide top-flight coverage at the cornerback positions. But what about the slot? With Eric Stokes coming back from a serious foot injury, the Douglas-in-the-slot experiment failing last year and not enough proven depth at safety to move Darnell Savage, that role is being handed to Keisean Nixon.

Nixon came out of nowhere last season to earn All-Pro honors as a kick returner. Can he come out of relative nowhere again and at least be a solid starting defensive back?

In three seasons with the Raiders, Nixon started two games and broke up one pass. Last season with the Packers, Nixon started four games, broke up two passes and grabbed the first interception of his career.

The overall numbers aren’t especially encouraging. According to Pro Football Focus and its best guess at coverage responsibilities, Nixon allowed a 79.3 percent catch rate last season. That’s right in line with his career mark of 79.2 percent.

However, at least he’s got some experience, going from 273 snaps in three seasons with the Raiders to 289 snaps for the Packers in 2022. Three of his starts came down the stretch, so he’s got big-game reps under his belt.

“Towards the end of the year, I already knew the defense,” Nixon said following one of the offseason practices. “I already was comfortable but I started getting more reps. I started a couple games. Now, it’s getting comfortable.”
It won’t be easy. Look who’s on the schedule. There are two matchups against Detroit’s Amon-Ra St. Brown, who tied for third in the NFL in slot receptions last season, and two matchups against Minnesota superstar Justin Jefferson, who was ninth in slot receptions, third in yards and second in yards per route.

Also on the slate: Tampa Bay’s Chris Godwin was first in slot receptions, Jacksonville’s Christian Kirk tied for third, the Chargers’ Keenan Allen was 10th, the Rams’ Cooper Kupp was 11th (but first in 2021) and the Broncos’ Jerry Jeudy was 12th. The Raiders’ Davante Adams was seventh in yards per slot route in 2022 and third with the Packers in 2021.

There were some impressive moments during the offseason practices, including one in which he matched Christian Watson on a deep route and broke up the pass in the end zone.

“We told each other the first day we came in the offseason program, talked about it,” Nixon said. “It was like, ‘We’re going to get each other better.’ We’re going to go against each other a lot this year, and that’s what we’re doing right now, starting early.”

It’s unrealistic for Nixon to earn All-Pro honors on defense in 2023, just as it was for him to do so on special teams in 2022. That doesn’t mean Nixon isn’t shooting for the stars. That’s what competitors do, after all. Having taken the junior-college route to get to South Carolina and the undrafted route to get to stardom in Green Bay, Nixon has the right mindset.

“I got my own standards as a person for myself and my own expectations,” he said. “I always want to prove it to myself that I am who I say I am, and that’s the biggest thing is coming to work every day and showing who I am. The coaches know who I am and trust in my commitment to this team and to my career.

Yeah Stokes is going to be a huge question mark. Will he be ready to start the season? Will he get his speed back? Could be a injury that makes him at best a career backup.

Yeah Stokes is going to be a huge question mark. Will he be ready to start the season? Will he get his speed back? Could be a injury that makes him at best a career backup.
Maybe they could switch him to safety.

Let's hope Stokes has retained most of that speed he had. It's what made him special.

He has a lot of strength building to go before he's playable.

I think the Packers will be drafting another CB high in next years draft along with a LT. Douglas will be making bigger money next year so need a cheaper option. Of course, it all depends on how well Love plays and if Stokes ever gets even closely back to form.

Back