Post game Thread : Rams Defeat Green Bay 29-27

thumbsup
  • Hard to say defense is a positive when they give up 29, but my lord is that a talented and superbly coached team they played against. Definitely feel like the D is good enough to win most games
  • Adams continues to catch the ball, make plays, and be the only consistent WR to get open.
  • Aaron Jones shows every week why he should be the primary ball carrier here.
thumbsdown))

• McCarthy continues to be stale and predictable on offense. There are very few wrinkles, or changes or innovations. It's almost exclusively lining up in 11, and hoping a WR can beat his man and find an opening. That works a lot of times because they have the best QB on earth. MVS beats his man and AR makes them pay. But they aren't beating their man often enough these days. And even with that, it's not causing nearly the problems for DC's that it was in 2011. Where are the adjustments when the DL is getting huge pressure? Screens, flairs, passes to RB are few and far between. Rolling the pocket? WR Screens? Where are WRs in motion pre snap to help with coverages? Bunch formations? There's literally nothing different that the offense gives you that everyone doesn't have 7 years of tape on. Again, with the best QB in the game, you can still rise above it a lot of the time! I'm not saying they have to run Mike Leach's Air Raid (but they totally should), but it feels like this offense is a relic being propped up by Rodgers. Seemingly many other offenses can plug in backups and function. The fact that they can't function at even a basic level with backups screams it even more.
  • McCarthy sticking with Monty over and over and over and over is insanity. He had a few nice solid games as a RB that first year. Since it's been a whole lot of nothing and a few nice passes here and there. I know everyone wants to bash Monty, but it's McCarthy's goddamn job to put the right players in the best position to win. He is failing at that repeatedly with the RB and Return positions and Monty for god only knows what reason.
  • ST was bad. Scott had a bad bad kick at the worst moment. The fake punt was a pretty obvious one I thought given how the game was going and place on field. While it didn't cause damage, it was a pretty easy convert.
  • Clock Management is atrocious. Everyone makes fun of Andy Ried and his issues around it, but I would sell my kidney for his clock management compared to McCarthy. It's baffling to me that a guy that's been leading a team for 15 years still has trouble getting the plays in with a reasonable amount of time and still uses TOs in insane ways. This happens EVERY week. Every week, they burn through TOs early in a half. And far too often MM calls TOs on defense that end up costing them points. He's so so bad at this. He really needs a dedicated person on the sideline that owns telling him when/how to use TOs because he simply doesn't get it.

This was a good measuring stick for this team. They’re good, they’re not good enough to win these big games. When healthy the offense and defense can compete and win against the best units in the NFL, they just need to play a complete game as a team. Hope they have a short memory because next week is going to be just as difficult.

Again, we have all said it. This comes down to having more talent in certain areas like Safety and OLB as well as a new coaching staff. No reason this cannot be done after the season. I hope we miss the playoffs because I want MM gone. NOW.

Packers aren't getting back to the SB with this staff.

It's pretty telling when you look at the standings.

This was the easy part of the schedule. And two of the wins were more difficult then they should have been.

I actually had convinced myself this team was gonna be the least talented team GB's had in awhile...the weird thing is, it might be better than the last few years (this rookie class looks good)...and they still can't get it right. Telling.

Well I’m not going as far as the rookie class is good when your 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick are at best special teams contributors. Sure WR have shown flashes but let see a full body of work. This is not a rebuild but at the same time not a short term fix. Depth is awful across the board so unless this team is injury free it’s going to show. Yeah staff should go but again it’s only one piece to the puzzle. Organization needs to fill WR (Cobb) and OLB (Matthews) since I can’t see extensions there. Safety is a mess and other than Clark who is a long term d line fixture. O line is a mixed bag, Bak is a player but Bulaga is not a long term player there.

Bottom line this was a 10-6 team on paper. But some draft misses have hurt growth and development.

Gute doesn't tell MM anything, he is GM in title only. MM reports to Murphy who will be looking at the financials over coffee with Russ Ball this morning and it will be all smiles. This is a reality in Green Bay all the rest is psychobabble, it's a business about the bottom line etc.
It literally pained me to agree with this. But I do agree with it. 100% agree...

Back