Post Game Thread : Packers Tame Bears move to 4-2

Sluggish first half. I was a little worried but they finally got it rolling. Second half adjustments did the trick. It's a good win. I figured they would win this one in a fashion that would have some saying that "they're back!!", but I've always said that the Falcons game will be a better test as was the Cowboys game. I'm happy for the win but I'm cautious in lathering praise because this should have been a win and it was. How the Packers play against the top teams is more of a gauge of their progress. This very well could be a launching point.

Alrighty! I'll start with the positive stuff first since i'm such a positive guy ;):cool:

Packers took almost 3 quarters to do it but they got things rolling.. Here's my rosy outlook positive glass half full stuff.

1) We may have just glimpsed the future of the GB offense and it doesn't include Jordy. With all due respect to him he just isn't the same since the injury. What we did see was a new structure emerge with Adams as the #1 go to, Cobb stays as #2, and then Monty as #3 pulling duel duty as RB fill in.

2) Maybe out of necessity this game knocked MM out of his run heavy mindset and more into a more wide open offense that Arod has intimated that he favors where it's not as important to have someone like Lacy. Now the question is whether or not MM notices.

3) Even missing a bunch of starters the DEF held CHI offense to 3 points.

4) Rip showed some real potential as a short yard tough as hell to take down FB.

Now the glass half empty and leaking stuff:

1) They took almost 3 full quarters to get rolling against a 1-5 Bears team missing a bunch of people. They looked horrible for longer than they looked good.

2) MM and his stubborn meat head addiction to his system. Running Monty from the 3 yard line without a lead blocker? Hello he's not lacy.... if you were going to run in that situation it should have been Rip.

3) The Bears had no trouble moving the ball until Hoyer went down. And even Barkley was just inches from several long TD's.

4) For most of that game I saw no fire or passion from this team. When they were matching CHI series for series in suckitude there should have been numerous camera angles of MM and Arod ripping everyone a new one... Speaking of fire, only ONE packer player even noticed Arod fumbled and went after it.

5) Our TE's should all be cut. They're useless. Richard Rogers was a waste of a pick. Even in a game like this he didn't show up. It looks like we don't need them.

There we go. This was a 1-5 Bears team. There is a lot to build on that happened in the 4th quarter. Is MM smart enough to realize his system is out the window now that Lacy is done? Can he get himself to adjust and run the type of offense that Arod seemed to have been calling for and produced great stuff from Adams, Cobb, and Monty? Can this defense repeat this performance against a top QB with multiple weapons like AtL? Can Adams, Cobb, and Monty get open against a much tougher DEF that isn't totally gassed like CHI was at the end?

We may have seen the passing of the torch to the younger guys on offense.

Some real positives, if they can build on it. ATL will be a much better test of where this team is than CHI was.

Last edited:
We won. The Bears are hurting. We should have won. The Bears couldn't be in much worse condition, so it wasn't a victory based on our team being great.

The spread offense worked. Was it because it was the Bears, or is it just that good of an offense for us? We should be switching back and forth between the spread and our more conventional sets on a regular basis, to insure defenses don't get comfortable with how the Packers offense plays. Adams, Cobb, & Montgomery. Ten or more passes caught each. One heck of a game. Kind of curious why McCarthy didn't use them this effectively before now? Also wondering why Nelson is suddenly an "afterthought?" I'll reserve my judgment for later, even though I agree, that it appears McCarthy has moved on, past Nelson. I'd sure be putting Montgomery in the backfield quite a bit. He's not bad back there, but it was the Bears, wasn't it?

I need to see what happens over the next couple of games before I suggest anything is fixed on this team. I just don't think it's necessarily changed. But, I will gladly take the win.

We won. The Bears are hurting. We should have won. The Bears couldn't be in much worse condition, so it wasn't a victory based on our team being great.

The spread offense worked. Was it because it was the Bears, or is it just that good of an offense for us? We should be switching back and forth between the spread and our more conventional sets on a regular basis, to insure defenses don't get comfortable with how the Packers offense plays. Adams, Cobb, & Montgomery. Ten or more passes caught each. One heck of a game. Kind of curious why McCarthy didn't use them this effectively before now? Also wondering why Nelson is suddenly an "afterthought?" I'll reserve my judgment for later, even though I agree, that it appears McCarthy has moved on, past Nelson. I'd sure be putting Montgomery in the backfield quite a bit. He's not bad back there, but it was the Bears, wasn't it?

Good questions TW. I can't even begin to think of the answer to the McCarthy question other than maybe he was feeling like his back was against the wall and he needed to try something new or it was out of necessity due to the Lacy injury. It was the Bears and it would be a perfect time to bring out a new offensive focus. Maybe it's a wake-up call and the innovation will continue because teams will now have film on the use of Montgomery so it will be interesting to see if MM further innovates and creates other plays and diversions off of Monty.

I get a little worried with the over use of Monty in the backfield but the action game was set up nicely that way and could be very effective if MM continues to look for ways to keep the defense guessing. Again, I'm tempering it because it was the Bears but it's definitely a stepping stone that can be used to change things up a bit.

Thing I wonder is can the Packers keep doing this dink and dunk offense? Teams see there is no RB anymore and that the Packers WR's have issues with getting seperation so will good teams play man to man right up at the line of scrimmage and jam the WR at the snap to try to get them off timing knowing that the Packers are going to struggle if they can not get those 5-10 yard passes? Would love to see GB draft a speedy home run hitter in the draft. Also would anyone consider bringing in Ray Rice at RB if Jackson is now out?

Reactions: TW
Trying my darnedest to stay positive and enjoy the season, so here's a brief focus of what I thought looked good.

1) Davante Adams played the BEST game I've seen him play in GB. That catch where he reached out in front of the defender in the end zone for a TD was flat out impressive. The catch demonstrated both strength and focus.

2) Ty Montgomery looked very strong and was utilized as a multi-purpose back much like Randall Cobb. The team badly needs this player to step up and continue to play at the same level as he did vs. the Bears.

3) There were TWO sustained drives of 80+ yards by the offense that ended in TD's. We haven't seen this in a while, let's pray that this trend continues.

4) Rodgers showed signs of improvement. In the 2nd half he was a treat to watch.

5) The Packers are 4-2 which seems a half decent record given the way the team has performed after 6 games.

Reactions: TW
I said multiple times we'd throw it 55 times, I wasn't actually expecting that to be the case.

Well with the way our offensive line is pass blocking, we should probably pass 55 times a game. As long as we use the passing game like a run game and throw short quick passes. We can then take shots down the field if and when the safeties or LB's play up. (Oh wait, we have no TE's that can beat any LB's over the top. :))

Ultimately, this about the best this offense can do right now without Lacy or a running game. Our defense will have to play well the rest of the way. If we do make the playoffs, we will win a lot of games 24-20 or 20-17, IMO.

At least we tried something different offensively last night. Though, I am concerned that we only used that game plan because of the way the Bears were playing defense. Against Atlanta, it would not surprise me if we go right back to trying to throw 15 plus yards every play. We will see.

i don't know. it's just really hard for me to get excited about beating a really bad team that went from playing its backup quarterback to playing it's third quarterback in the middle of the game. i mean it's like we started out playing against a team with one had tied behind their backs and we literally couldn't do spit against them. and then we tied their other hand behind their backs and somehow managed to win handily. i feel no sense of pride in this win. i don't feel any better about our offense than i did before the game started. our receivers still can't get open, and even if they could rodgers still can't throw the ball accurately more than 12 yards downfield.

like i said in the shout section this morning, i have no expectations at all for this team for the rest of this season. i'm just going to watch the games for the entertainment factor and try not to get too emotionally invested.

Back