Post Game Thread: Lions Upset Green Bay At Home

The zero sacks against Stafford is what sticks out.

Zero sacks against Stafford.
Zero sacks against Cam Newton.
Zero sacks against Manning.

No sacks the last three games.

We have been criticizing the coverage by the secondary, but we are getting almost no pressure on the QB.

It'd be one thing if DET played this great game out of nowhere and beat GB at home based on a few lucky plays... But they didn't. They beat GB at home after giving them every opportunity to comeback and win. GB looked bad, really bad. This can't be explained away by just a loss...

Just gonna throw out a few general observations:

1) The league knows how to beat MM offense. DEN showed the way, and now one of the worst D's in the league did it to GB.. Blitz, take away Arods run lanes, and play tight man.. GB has no answers to that. WR and Arod can't mentally deal with it.

2) Arod's mentality. His post game pressers, the kind of laze faire "oh well we lost, we're still good, we'll get it" doesn't look to me like positive confidence. It looks like he doesn't care. My thoughts are one of two things, either a) his heart isn't in it anymore, or b) he's finally had enough of MM's "scheme".. We've seen glimpses of Arod and MM not agreeing in past seasons. But Arods play has always covered it up. Now that he's fallen back to earth a bit, problems are out in the open.

3) Our WR run the laziest routes of any "elite" team i've seen in a while. Stop whining to the refs and fight for a ball damnit. Run a good route, get open.

4) Richard Rodgers will catch a good ball every once in a while. but he's just pedestrian. I'd be really interested to see what Perillo can do with more time.

5) Total lack of leadership from the coaches and players. The guys making the big bucks seem to disappear when things are bad. Step up, kick some butt, fire up the troops, teach the young guys... The lack of leadership showed today. Coming off 2 tough losses, they put that on the field? Where's the pride?? Where's the anger??? This team is soft. Nobody is scared of GB anymore.

Can anyone imagine Vince Lombardi spewing the garbage that MM did after the game??? Can anyone imagine Lombardi being cool with this and saying "oh well, we did some good things, not going to dwell on it"?

Packers have lost the benefit of the doubt after this. No they are not a good team. No this wasn't just a few bad games against good teams. No you are not the best in the NFC, or even the NFC North. GB isn't going to cruise into the playoffs because they are the Packers. MIN is about to take sole control of first. CHI is 4-2 over their last 6. Cutler has only thrown 3 picks over those 6 games. CHI isn't going to be a gimme game anymore.

Hopefully i am eating crow over the next couple weeks. And GB turns it around. But the problems are deep right now. And some of the big $$$ players aren't playing like it.

Last edited:
thumbsup
Perillo - At least someone stepped up.

Abbrederis - Also had a good day. Vicious hit though.

Sam Martin (Detroit Punter) - Showing up Masthay. And helping win the game for his team.

thumbsdown)) sick(

Rodgers - Short, long, no rhythm.

Adams - Less whining, more catching (20+ targets!)

Cobb - See Adams.

The Refs - They were pretty bad though.

Peppers - Age wall?

Masthay - Yeah. No.

Crosby - That onside kick was great. But what. The. Hell.

MM - Get it under control.

TT - Get MM to get it under control.

ST - Back to the choke job unit of old. But it was the coaching :rolleyes:

Go back and watch the receivers routes, they are beyond lazy. Rounding off their routes, stopping their routes, no misdirection steps. I am thinking Van Pelt as WR coach is not working out.

This football team is flat and you can tell is losing confidence in one another. HC has to step up soon.

Agreed. Those routes are pitiful. Also, the routes lack ingenuity. The league has these routes figured out. Couple that with lazy route running and the offense stinks.

Once again a team completely out of sorts. When the D is playing well the O can't move the ball. When the O moves the ball, the D completely lets down. With a chance to win at the end, ST falls on its face.

Something is up with Rodgers. I don't know anything about his mental state - frustrated I'm sure - but physically a lot seems off. His mechanics are off, he's throwing balls into the ground (has AR ever skipped so many balls into the dirt?), he's overthrowing balls that used to be easy money for him. I don't know if he's hurt or just not being coached and held accountable. Right now he's like a stud pitcher who needs his motion tweaked by a good coach - will MM/TC/AVP step up and do it?

Green Bay - Packers coach Mike McCarthy said QB Aaron Rodgers has taken a lot of hits the last three weeks and may be feeling the effects of it, but neither he nor Rodgers pointed to anything physically wrong that might be affecting his throws.

Continue reading...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/350179731.html

I've seen a few articles on this talking about really the lack of leadership on this team. But losing your third game in a row and you let guys like Matshay and Randall fill column inches is sad. I know there are different type of leaderships within a team, but the Packers really seem not have a guy to glue to keep this team together. Coaches really can only do so much.

This is the low point for this team since they won the Super Bowl. Yeah, they went 8-7-1 in 2013, but that was with Rodgers hurt for most of the year.

This is the worst they've played offensively since they lost 7-3 to Detroit in 2010 — the year they won the Super Bowl.

Back then, folks were calling for McCarthy's head and bashing Thompson, just like you're hearing today. Even one esteemed poster started a thread predicting that the Packers would never win a Super Bowl with MM as HC.

We know how that ended.

So there's no reason to believe this team couldn't turn it around and make another run. That being said, lightening doesn't often strike the same spot twice.

I really thought the Packers were going to make a statement today. Come out guns blazing with the passing game, Aaron throws for 6 tds etc.... then by halftime I was wondering if A-rod would even throw 1 td pass.

I at least was prepared for the Carolina loss, but this is a joke. Jordy isn't the reason, not even close, but he always seemed to come through in games like this where the passing game was stale. Whether he would have made a difference today, who knows. However Adams and Cobb looked terrible. Adams was getting smothered all day, but both he and Cobb had plenty of opportunities to make catches but failed.

At this point, it's gotta be a mental thing. Thats all I can think of. It seems like Aaron is trying to be too fine. When it's 2nd & 8 or 3rd & 10 he keeps coming up empty handed.... But when their backs are to the wall and it's 4th and 15 and he starts slinging it he looks like his old self.

Green Bay – Back in 2010 when the Packers had an up-and-down season and a team that struggled to find an identity until the end of the year, Donald Driver and Charles Woodson stood out as two vocal leaders who implored their teammates to play better.

Even through the bad times, they did not let up on the big goals. Driver in fact basically went out on a limb and put it out there midseaon: it was either Super Bowl, or bust, for him.

Does Green Bay have that kind of emotional, passionate leader now?

Some of Green Bay’s star players - and frankly best talkers, were not in the post-game locker room after the loss to the Lions. But a few of them were, and seemed to want to make it clear that Green Bay’s collective psyche has not been rattled.

That’s important.

Maybe two road losses to undefeated teams were understandable – even if the Packers played so poorly in the Broncos game.

But losing at home, to the dysfunctional Detroit Lions, for the first time in a generation – that could rattle anyone.

“I’m sure we’ll bounce back,” said rookie defensive back Damarious Randall, who had another solid game against Detroit.

“Overall, defensively, I feel like we played great, and if we can play like that for the rest of the season, I don’t think we’ll lose too many more games.”

He went on to call the Packers a brotherhood.

“Everybody is sticking together. We won six in a row,” said Randall. “We just lost three. I feel like it’s only a matter of time before we bounce back and reel off some more (victories).”

Punter Tim Masthay said “it’s going to be a long, painful week for all of us.

“I think the confidence is fine,” said Masthay. “The leaders in the locker room – starting with (coach) Mike (McCarthy), and throughout the personnel department and most important with our senior players in here, it’s a very confident group. A very disciplined group. I’m not worried about that side of it.”

“We keep getting some gut checks,” said kicker Mason Crosby. “We’re going to have to evaluate and make sure we go back to work. Tomorrow, we’ll watch this tape and we’ll go on to Minnesota. We have a tough stretch here for division games. Yeah, this one hurts losing at home.”

video player to embed in JSonline stories

Continue reading...

Back