Post Game Thread : Cards Beat GB In OT 26-20

The bottom line, as ESPN said this morning, another postseason in Rodgers' prime wasted.

No one should blame injuries. Ours weren't any worse really than what the team across the sideline last night dealt with, including losing Corey Peters for the year and an all pro safety for this game.

We need to act like Aaron Rodgers might retire at 35. Don't have to spend money recklessly in FA, but we need a couple of FA vets on one-years, minimum, to improve depth. Certainly a 4th or 5th round pick for a TE who can stretch the field a tad would be worth the gamble.

Enough of this non-urgent just get into the playoffs (or hope for Caleb Hannie) bull. We need to be the favorite, claim the #1 seed, and return to the Bowl.

Yes I know that's easier said than done but we have under achieved dramatically since the Giants playoff loss during 15-1. Bottom line.

Here is the postgame reaction from Packers coach Mike McCarthy and quarterback Aaron Rodgers following the Arizona 26-20 overtime victory Saturday night:

MIKE MCCARTHY

Continue reading...

This isn't as bad as Seattle last year

This team is beat up on offense and wouldn't win the Super Bowl

Defensively we need upgrades at ILB and OLB fast. I also want Raji back.

Hayward is probably gone unless he garners no big offers

Too bad TT won't sign free agents

thumbsup

Abberderis - He looks like he has a real future
Janis - maybe the kid can play. Why didn't he get a chance before this game?
OL - gave Rodgers time & opened some nice holes
Rodgers - Abberderris wasn't on the team to start the year. Janis was the #5 receiver to start the year. Jones was invisible all game. Rodgers almost pulled this game out with backup receivers IMO that deserves a stud.

thumbsdown))

OT defense - 2 years in a row they fail miserably. How do you not cover Fitzgerald?
Shields - Dropped 2 interceptions. The second one probably would have sealed the win.
Masthay - He has been awful all year. He better not be on this team next year.
MM - Why challenge a questionable call when you are already down a timeout. Just stupid.
TT - So he decides that they should put Quarrless on IR and activate a CB. Did that guy even see the field. With Adams already down they needed pass catchers. Why not a WR from the practice squad. His personnel moves or lack of this year really cost this team. He has a very important off season coming up.

thumbsup

Abberderis - He looks like he has a real future
Janis - maybe the kid can play. Why didn't he get a chance before this game?
OL - gave Rodgers time & opened some nice holes
Rodgers - Abberderris wasn't on the team to start the year. Janis was the #5 receiver to start the year. Jones was invisible all game. Rodgers almost pulled this game out with backup receivers IMO that deserves a stud.

thumbsdown))

OT defense - 2 years in a row they fail miserably. How do you not cover Fitzgerald?
Shields - Dropped 2 interceptions. The second one probably would have sealed the win.
Masthay - He has been awful all year. He better not be on this team next year.
MM - Why challenge a questionable call when you are already down a timeout. Just stupid.
TT - So he decides that they should put Quarrless on IR and activate a CB. Did that guy even see the field. With Adams already down they needed pass catchers. Why not a WR from the practice squad. His personnel moves or lack of this year really cost this team. He has a very important off season coming up.

Not arguing, but in spite of that, didn't Masthay set a Packer record, net yards average or something like that?

The 'new' DB was a game day inactive.

Not arguing, but in spite of that, didn't Masthay set a Packer record, net yards average or something like that?

The 'new' DB was a game day inactive.
yeah a whole 40.3 FP(.... The ST coach thought he should focus on net not hang time and deep kicking which is why the idiot gets fired wherever he goes.

3 dropped ints. That's the only thing I've thought about this game.

And I don't care what anybody says, Arizona was shellshocked. Be agressive. Go for two. You had no business being in that situation anyways. Ride the miracle wave

Biggest issue for me is the second half switch to zone on defense. You're giving up space by rule and hoping the other team beats themselves somewhat as opposed to putting it more in your own hands, making them beat you in a match-up. But if they beat you, typically they're going to beat you for a bigger gain. Although as we saw on that play, they beat us huge anyway.

I'm more with Bo Ryan, although much less extreme. I think you go man-to-man, as long as it's working out decently. It seemed to be. The philosophy shift is very much a byproduct of fear, like not going for 2 was on offense. Not wanting to lose the game on the next play, delaying the pain, you're more apt to suffer later. 5 of last 7 playoff losses on the final play. The coaching staff plays aggressive, until the end of game, when it flips, and so do scores in the wrong direction.

I'm not too distressed. It was a great effort against a really tough team, and I felt like we were fighting the zebras too (unlike last week were the calls went more in our favor). As with the other 4 last play losses under McCarthy in the playoffs, we just needed one more play to go our way. The most obvious this time was the Shields drop on the INT. I think he had a couple chances in this game. We can 2nd guess this, that, and the other thing, but for the most part I thought they played about as well as they could have.

Every team has injuries, but it really sucks when they stack at one position. We had so many at WR and O-line this year. The O-line was closer to healthy for this game, but it's tough to get much offense going with only 3 healthy WRs and not exactly studs at that. Jordy, Cobb, Adam, Montgomery. That's our top 4 on the depth chart before the James Jones signing.

The Janis truthers had a great day. I hope that's a sign of things to come from him. They could certainly use what he provided. I hope it's sustainable. He did indicate he learned a lot this year and his play on special teams shows he's capable of great improvement. Abby looked pretty good too.

I believe we'll be stronger next year.

love Rodgers but I think he has way more to do with this disappointing season than anyone else. His "trust" issues were the biggest reason we didn't win this game and have been killing us since the 6-0 start.

Good read here http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/baranczyk /2016/01/17/hesitant-rodgers-erratic-right-end/78936664/

Overall, we were playing on borrowed time. I am a bit torn on making some major changes, but would be in favor of bringing in another offensive coordinator with some creativity. We run a very stale offense, so I'd love to see another speedster added to the core that can help stretch the field next year, and oh yeah, get a TE that can do more than run 2 yard outs with no YAC.

Back