Post-game: Steelers Defeat Green Bay

Best, worst PFF grades:

Top 5 offense

1. LG Elgton Jenkins: 81.1
2. WR Jayden Reed: 79.1
3. QB Jordan Love: 77.8
4. C Josh Myers: 76.6
5. TE Luke Musgrave: 72.7

Jenkins gave up two pressures but still earned the team’s top pass-blocking grade. He was a dominant blocker in the run game. Reed caught all five of his targets, had a touchdown and a contested catch and finished with a perfect passer rating when targeted over 24 routes. Love hit a season-high five “big time throws” and was hugely productive pushing the ball downfield. Myers gave up a quarterback hit but earned an excellent run-blocking grade. Musgrave produced two explosive plays (28 yards, 36 yards) and got decent grades as a blocker.

Top 5 defense

1. OLB Rashan Gary: 81.4
2. DL Kenny Clark: 75.1
3. OLB Preston Smith: 73.0
4. CB Corey Ballentine: 71.0
5. LB Isaiah McDuffie: 69.8

Gary delivered just one pressure and one stop but he earned the defense’s top run-defending grade overall. Clark missed two tackles but also had three hurries and two stops against the run. Smith had a sack and three stops overall. Ballentine missed two tackles but allowed only four catches and broke up two passes. McDuffie missed two tackles but had four stops.

Bottom 5 offense

Nov 12, 2023; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA; Green Bay Packers wide receiver Christian Watson (9) cannot make a catch against Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Patrick Peterson (20) before being intercepted by safety Keanu Neal (31) during the fourth quarter at Acrisure Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Philip G. Pavely-USA TODAY Sports

1. TE Tucker Kraft: 43.2
2. WR Christian Watson: 54.3
3. RG Jon Runyan Jr.: 54.9
4. RB Aaron Jones: 58.5
5. LT Rasheed Walker: 61.0

Kraft ran 18 routes but caught just one pass and earned below average blocking grades. Watson caught just two of seven targets, produced 23 receiving yards on 34 routes run and had a drop. Runyan Jr. gave up a pressure, earned poor run-blocking grades and had a huge missed block on a screen pass to Jones. Speaking of Jones, he had a drop, managed just 19 yards on six targets and averaged 2.7 yards per rush. Walker gave up five pressures including a quarterback hit.

Bottom 5 defense

1. DL Colby Wooden: 29.3
2. DL T.J. Slaton: 40.5
3. OLB Lukas Van Ness: 48.0
4. CB Carrington Valentine: 50.0
5. S Jonathan Owens: 51.5

Wooden didn’t have a pressure over five pass-rushing snaps and earned the worst run-defending grade over five run defense snaps. Slaton had five stops against the run but graded out poorly against the run overall. Van Ness missed two tackles against the run and didn’t have a pressure over eight pass-rushing snaps. Valentine missed a tackle, gave up a 28-yard catch to George Pickens and was penalized 17 yards for pass interference on third down. Owens missed two tackles, was flagged for illegal contact and graded out poorly against the run.

Or, the board let's Murph ride it out til the end and whoever takes over, keeps the current staff a year, so the new leader can get their sea legs. Then, if things aren't going well on the field, they will purge the coaching and possibly the FO staff. I just don't see this organization doing anything too crazy. They seem to be ultra conservative in how they deal with that stuff. They don't like to shake it up very often.
I am willing to bet this will happen said it before. Murphy resigns July 2025 you are not making any change in staff in the middle of summer so new president will have a year of working with Gute and ML to see if he wants to extend them or let them walk as what I will guess be as FA if their contracts run with Murphy.

I am willing to bet this will happen said it before. Murphy resigns July 2025 you are not making any change in staff in the middle of summer so new president will have a year of working with Gute and ML to see if he wants to extend them or let them walk as what I will guess be as FA if their contracts run with Murphy.
murphy needs to do this team a solid and retire at the end of the 2024 season. that can be his legacy. instead of the sledding hill.

I have to post this again because apparently everyone either hasn't read it or you are just flat refusing to understand,

ML was asked after deciding to keep Berry why. He stated that he knew they were making a big change on offense and "they" didn't want to upset the apple cart too much by changing the defensive scheme too.

Before I get all the flack... that's not some crackpot way of doing things, it's a fairly common approach. No, I wouldn't have kept him but Jiminy Crickets boys and girls it is what is we are kind of DHH( the subject at this point.

I fully expect his contract to not be renewed after the season or..... "We have moved in another direction."
i think we've all read it multiple times, and most of us understand. but we are subjected to the same crappy defense week after week, so of course we are going to bring it up week after week.

Would certainly behoove everyone to sort out the succession plan well in advance of the actual retirement date and I expect them to.
the succession plan, yeah probably. but i don't like the idea of waiting until 2026 to make the changes that need to be made because murphy waited until july to retire like some are saying here.

Back