Post Game: Packers Defeat NE Preseason Game 1

thumbsup
Ty Montgomery- This kid is the real deal. That almost catch on the sideline was really nice and showed his athletic ability.
Scott Tolzien- Very accurate tonight and also had a few WR's and RB's drop some passes. I was impressed with Scott.
Alphonzo Harris- He ran hard and he is bigger than Lacy is. I also think he is a little faster.
Crockett- Nice catch for the TD. He also showed some power tonight.
Hundley- Has more presence in the pocket than I thought. He needs more arm strength but overall had a decent night.
Ryan- He made some splash plays. I could see him becoming a starter by the end of the year maybe.
Perillo- I'll tell you what. He may be tough to unseat for the 3rd TE position. Solid game.
Ripkowski- Made some great tackles and hits on ST's. Look out Kuhn. He's comin, he's comin!
Rollins- Covered very well. Yes, a couple were under thrown but he made a play on the ball every time deep.
Gunter- This kid could be special. He is a little raw but he definitely has talent.

thumbsdown))
Hubbard- He just doesn't impress me much for his physical physique.
Elliott- Offsides; Got beat big time on a screen play. I think he is a one year wonder.
1st Team Offense in the Red Zone- Here we go again. Not sure what the issue is here but our WR's just can't seem to get open down there.
Baktiari- He got beat bad a couple of times. He looked slow tonight. I hope that is just rust.

Overall, I thought the team played pretty well for the first preseason game. ST's still needs to work on coverage. Run defense still showed holes; especially, the big run. Definitely opportunities but overall happy with what I saw.

start with the encouraging things:

gunter with a nice interception.
elliott led all tacklers and got some decent pressure, including a half sack
rollins played well.
adams looks like the real deal.
tolzien looked vastly improved.
montgomery looked really good for a rookie.
ryan had some nice plays with 3 tackles, 3 assists and a sack.
hubbard had a couple nice moments.
datone jones had a couple sacks.
first team offense seemed to move the ball well.

the disappointments:

first team offense could not finish drives. stalled in the red-zone repeatedly.
masthay was awful. three punts for 34.0 yard average - longest punt = 35 yards. is this the same guy who was booming 56 yarders in camp a couple days ago?
white dropped three passes. badly.
mccarthy's commitment to the special teams does not seem genuine.
rajion neal did not look good, but also did not look as bad as starks.
barclay was not much more effective than a tackling dummy.

can't wait to see the next game.

The D played pretty well considering Daniels and Matthews didn't play.

I'm not sure the Packers are set on the third back. Harris and Crockett may take this to the final cut.

Overall it was a pretty good effort by the team. There were some lapses and breakdowns by a few players but generally I'm pretty happy.
4 penalties was not too bad. 2 that come to mind were bad. The offsides on Elliot and the hold on Barclay were just bad plays.
Gunter looked OK but got away with illegal contact on his interception.
Rollins played nice cover defense and did really look smooth.
Ryan had a pretty solid game getting in the back field several times and finishing.
Datone Jones also had a good game with a couple sacks and a couple TFLs.
The Defense only gave up 94 yards rushing despite 55 yards on one play. They also had 8 sacks.
Bahktari almost got Rodgers killed, hope that's just a little rust.
Thornton may have been the MVP.

Just kidding on the last one.

the disappointments:

masthay was awful. three punts for 34.0 yard average - longest punt = 35 yards. is this the same guy who was booming 56 yarders in camp a couple days ago?

Masthay had 3 punts. No returns, and 2 inside the 20. The third was a turd but I wouldn't say he was awful.

Last edited:
I saw some of this in chat last night so lets get it out of the way now... There is nothing wrong with Masthay...

1st punt - from GB 47 no return, downed on the 18...
2nd punt - from NE 47 no return, downed at the 15
3rd punt - ya this one was a little weak

but overall he did exactly what you want him to. pin them inside the 20 with no chance at a return....

-Individually Gunter did very well.
-Props to Janis on the TD, he may still be raw, and the route was simple. But he was still the only WR to score a TD...
-I don't know if it's the QB's themselves, or the new play caller. But the fact that all 3 backup QB's did pretty well is an encouraging sign for MM giving up play calling. May be that the new guy isn't trying to make the back ups into Arod Jr like MM always tried to do. He's letting them play to what fits them.
-I'm not sure what is gonna happen at RB, but i'm pretty sure Starks is gone. And last was just more proof. Neal, Crocket, and Harris all played better.
-On the defense side of things. I know it's pre-season, but 7 sacks is still a nice night.

i will agree to disagree on masthay. in my opinion, if you are going to "pin them inside the 20", you really want to get the ball inside the 10. every one of his punts should have been at least ten yards longer. the third punt (34 yards) when he had the entire field in front of him was unforgivable.

Let's talk post Game who were your winners and losers in this game?

Any surprises?

Mark - I didn't deliberately break my tweet promise to double pay attention Thursday night. I did break my promise - made it through several radio hours of pregame stuff plus the entire first quarter and part of the second. The old lady kept dozing off and out and then back in from that point. (I may have simply gone into the Packers Zen Nirvana - wink wink - smiling.)

Biggest surprise even though some were fails or red zone stalls - it is preseason - the "going for it" on some of the 4th downs vs. just put some points up on the board in the per-usual Packers "safe" manner. Cannot even say exactly why I am glad they took the risks. It's just my own "gut instinct" - emotional thing.

Biggest generalization: There appear to be some players down in the tiers, out in the wings - etc. - that are going to push the starters to be better players with the Packers! Some seasons there seems to be cuts of name players we know that either raise eyebrows or provocate vocalized opinions. 2015 may be one of those seasons. - Kaye

Back