Post Game Niners Defeat Packers 37-20 End Season.

ML took a flawed roster and got it to play way above it's talent level and rode that to the NFCC... Helluva way to start your HC career...

But that flawed roster got exposed when it showed up against a more complete team with more talent.

Yes you can say Niners drafted higher but that doesn't matter really. TT and GB whiffed on so many defensive draft picks in the last 5 years. Some in the first round. And Gutey's first rounder from this year is well on his way to bustville as well. Can't use your first round pick on a project playing out of position in this league anymore. There isn't time for them to switch positions and develop.

We all know the drastic need for WR/TE.... But this game showed how inadequate the Packers are in the trenches. Too many years of just getting people who are "good enough" combined with draft misses.

The future looks bright. Next season should be fun. Another offseason and they now have a clear view of where the holes are in relation to the new system....

All things considered, it was a terrific season. I was expecting much less, so everything after win #9 was a surprise. They might not do this well next year - they'll be playing a first place schedule. There are still holes to fill.

On offense they need to maintain the OL and add some depth. They need a #2 WR and it probably should be a FA. They need a slot type #3 in the draft. Lazard, Kumerow, MVS and ESB can battle it out for the 4/5 spots. Gotta move on from Graham and Lewis and draft another TE. Add a 3rd RB somewhere in the draft.

On defense, the Lowry/Lancaster experiment has to be over. They are just not good enough. Assuming they stay with Pettine and the 3-4 they need a pair of DE/DTs. Not sure if they can afford one in FA but it'd be nice to add a veteran and a rookie to the mix. Gotta fix ILB. I'm OK with keeping Martinez if he comes cheap enough because for me he's at best a 2-down ILB. They need to draft an ILB and maybe get a FA if they don't pay Martinez. They're fine at OLB, but Gute has some explaining to do regarding Gary. Too early to call him a bust, but man, he just seems to be a man without a position. Early returns look like it's another wasted high pick. Add some depth at CB and safety and the secondary will be "OK". (I'm banking on Savage, King and Alexander continuing to develop and improve.)

The immediate future looks bright, assuming they can find a way to improve the play around AR, because it's clear his play is deteriorating. They need to make the rest of the team better to take some of the pressure off him. Longer term, they need to find ARs replacement. Not sure if this is the year, but it needs to be sometime in the next couple of years. Early returns look like they have the right HC and GM, but Gute needs to gave another great off-season if they have any chance of getting to the NFCCG next year.

IMO this Packers team was a 9-7 team who played above and beyond with the talent that they actually had. When a new
GM and coaches come onboard it normally takes a few years to impliment what they want to accomplish. What we as Packers fans saw was a little of what the future may hold for the Packers given some time and positive moves that were set into motion this season. Normally we as fans seeing a team progress this well expected more ( I being one ) and grumbled over our loss. However taking the time to think, we were treated this season to a far more productive season than in the past few years. I applaud what GB accomplished this season and am optimistic about the seasons to come. Of course moves will need to be made to get to the Big Show but given some time this group may just get us there. So my final comment will be, thank you you Packers for giving us a good and entertaining season and GO PACK GO !

Ugly way to end a much better then expected season. Also got a new team record out of it with Jones getting 23 TDs on the year including post-season. We all knew the talent level was not a SB team yet. I trust Gute will go out do some more FA shopping try to hit on some draft picks. Next year will be hard to repeat the success of this year. But have to trust in the process that soon Gute will have this roster to a SB talent level that the Packers will be able to compete and get to and win the Super Bowl.

Agreed on all the comments here.

Great season and things do look bright. The defensive line needs an overhaul. I agree on getting a FA and drafting another, if possible. Lowry can be a back-up. As we saw last night, him and Lancaster cannot get it done against better playoffs caliber teams.

I really believe this defense changes dramatically if we can get a solid ILB that can stuff the run and cover the pass. The top needs in the draft and on this team are ILB, WR, DL, and TE. In no particular order. Sterberger did show some ability last night with a couple of catches and one being a TD.

I do have a question for each of you. Would you keep Pettine? Not sure I would. Although, with a performance like that by the D last night I am not sure scheme or a plan would have even mattered. They got manhandled all night by the 49er O-line. Thoughts?

Great job to Matt Lefluer and his staff! Great year.

Would you keep Pettine? Not sure I would.

At this point I am not sure ML makes a change, I am a 43 front guy 100% but the late run puts you at a disadvantage as far as getting a quality DC. A crazy idea is you could replace MP with Jim Haslett who's out there. My gut says they make a couple of adjustments below MP and cut a few players lose.

As other have said great season, unexpected. Great job by ML and staff. And let’s be honest this was a 10-6 team that caught a couple of breaks, for the most part core guys stayed on the field and won a few ugly

As to offense, same movie different scene but WR needs a overhaul except for Adams. I think 19 can become a serviceable #3 but that it. OL needs depth and a replacement at RT soon. As much as Jones is impressive we need a RB to share the load. And the elephant in the room, #12 is not here forever and we need to find the next guy.

On defense I am not sure if this group is more suited as a 4-3. Gary and Clark inside. We have 2 adequate edge guys. Depth at CB is needed. I like Alexander but King is serviceable. That’s it. Safety is ok.

I think it’s still 1-2 more cycles to fix and then hope 12 can still play at a high level. Next year I can see more complete team and better but take a step back record wise. Cautiously optimistic.

My guess because Packers got to NFCC and because while they gave up ton of yards I think there were a top 10 defense in PPG. My guess Packers try to improve the DL give the team so more horses up front. Right now the Packers have no one to stop the run. Packers spent a lot of picks to work on Secondary but we are running below average talent on the DL outside of Clark.

The Super Bowl features teams that showcase speed. It’s not a new NFL concept- you can’t teach it, and it rules the game when combined with execution. This season, the Packers lacked both.

On defense, opponents time after time exposed Blake Martinez’s lack of speed- and the NFCC game was no exception. Sideline to sideline the 49ers stretched the Packers and cut them to pieces. Contrast that with what the 49ers defense did when the Packers tried to do the same, and the differences are stunning.

With Rodgers, the speed of the game seemed ahead of his decision making all season long. Why that is should be a major question that the organization spends a lot of time answering between now and September. Watching the Chiefs and Mahomes carve up defenses after falling behind in back to back games was crazy to watch- and you can see how much faster Mahomes processes what he sees. How many times did we watch a replay and see a guy open on the initial progression, and Rodgers look right at it and hold the ball? If you watch the all-22 it happened every single game, and the NFCC game was no exception. People scream for the Packers to dink and dunk, use short passes so Rodgers isn’t getting hammered every game, but if the QB is unwilling to pull the trigger, what can you do?

So there’s speed of foot and speed of execution- the Packers muscled and clawed their way to the NFCC game lacking both, which is encouraging- it means they’re not far for the level needed to play at a Championship level. The draft and FA will be used to address their team speed and recycle some of their aging parts. Then they gotta figure out how to get their veteran QB to play the game faster, too.

I have to keep this season in perspective and look at this as Year 1 of a multi-year process of building a true championship team. It was entertaining for sure, but still still kind of hollow at the end. If there was one positive that came out of the 2 SF blow-outs, it's that Gutekunst and Murphy have a true measuring stick of where the talent level is and how far it still needs to go. Not having multiple top 10 draft picks is the price you pay for consistently being good but not great.

But good teams need to use the tools that are there to get better and this means being aggressive in the free agent and trade market. Gutekunst did well this year to break out of the pattern set by TT and he will need to get even better at it. One thing that was really unsettling in the game yesterday was the lack of poise in the first half: the fumbles, picks, botched snaps, etc with AR seeming to be right in the middle of it. Game being over at half-time, they then start to show some life. I know he still has talent but is Rodgers losing his edge? This all has impact on how this team continues to re-build.

Back