Post Game: Lions Beat the Packers 34-20

Might be time to move on from Kenny Clark. From what this guy is getting paid there are way to many games where he just does not show up.

Lions had 211 yards rushing.

Packers had 27. With Aaron Jones .

No words

We only ran it 12 times all game and Aaron Jones ran it only 5 times. If he was still hurt and you were not going to use him, why is he out there?

There is your issue with no rushing yards. And don't say we were behind like I am sure the HC will say. That is crap. We only ran it twice in the first 3 series we had the ball.

Big issues......

Since LaFleur became head coach, do you know how many teams have a defensive rush EPA per snap above zero? Thirty-one. The one team that doesn’t? The Packers. Dead last in run defense effectiveness since LaFleur became head coach, and dead last since general manager Brian Gutekunst officially became GM in 2018. Gutekunst hasn’t stocked his roster with good enough run defenders. LaFleur and his staff haven’t coached them well enough to stop the run. And the players aren’t executing. Everyone deserves blame.

I'm a little calmer than last night so here's what I saw. For the second game in a row, the team started out ridiculously flat. ML needs to figure out a possible cause and try some different things.

The good:
- our kicker still hasn't missed - who'd a thunk it a month ago
- we seem to have come out of the game without any other significant injuries
- Quay Walker was playing fast and with heart
- Rashan Gary was a consistent force in limited snaps

The bad can't be covered in one post but here are the highlights:
- Quay Walker's dumb penalty on the FG (might be a coaching problem)
- the d-line got manhandled routinely
- the OL is a mess without Bakh and Jenkins. Can Rhyan really be that much worse than Newman. What happened to Nijman. Not sure what the answer is.
- Nixon still running back kickoffs from deep and costing us field position
- this team is soft - can't run the ball, can't stop the run

Last night there was some discussion about the team being tired and it was explained as a short week with a lot of snaps and not much use of depth and this was different than the Lions. Made sense at the time. Yes, I think they did have tired legs but why not Detroit seemingly being slowed down at all. So I looked up last Sunday's game logs. Detroit played more defensive snaps than the Packers. They had 7 guys with above 50% of snaps at DL and LB. The Packers only had 3 in the DL, ILB, Edge group play more than 50% of snaps. CB and S snaps were similar between the teams. To me that adds up more to "mind over matter" for the Lions (aka mental toughness) and a talent disparity at DL and defensive coaching.

We only ran it 12 times all game and Aaron Jones ran it only 5 times. If he was still hurt and you were not going to use him, why is he out there?

There is your issue with no rushing yards. And don't say we were behind like I am sure the HC will say. That is crap. We only ran it twice in the first 3 series we had the ball.

Big issues......
Jones clearly not even close to 100% only reason he was out there was he was likely 60-70% and ML figured that's good enough to try to be a decoy in schemes.

The GM thing is the key, Gute isn't a really good talent guy no matter how you slice it. We insist on this goofy 34 scheme that hasn't done much in a decade. Mark's right Murphy played all that while with the Redskins and is in love with it.

My gut says that if ML had his way he would run a 43 scheme like his buddies in SF and NY but has to overcome poltics and just gave up on it.tc(

According to TruMedia, the Lions averaged 2.12 yards before contact per rush on Thursday. Only three teams in the NFL have a higher average in that category this season. That’s how badly the Lions manhandled Green Bay’s defense up front. And according to Next Gen Stats, 113 of running back David Montgomery’s 121 rushing yards came after contact. Not only could the Packers not get off blocks in the run game, but they also couldn’t tackle adequately when they managed to disengage.

Other than Walker our LB can't tackle...safety's are just meh.

Last night there was some discussion about the team being tired and it was explained as a short week with a lot of snaps and not much use of depth and this was different than the Lions. Made sense at the time. Yes, I think they did have tired legs but why not Detroit seemingly being slowed down at all
Because they have depth, we do not. We have starters on ST, an example is Walker playing on the FG unit. Why? Because the depth guys we have suck. He should be off the field getting hydrated and instructed during a FG and kick-off.

Back