Post Game GB VS Seattle preseason game 3

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Nice work from the scrubs to get the win at the end, most of those folks will be back at a different job next week so it was nice to see them go out on top. Some overall preseason thoughts:

Love did everything I needed him to...the rest is just going to take reps but he has the skills to win in the NFL. He has to stay healthy and ML needs to lean on the run game the first 4-6 games until he gets into the 4 qtrs flow of the game. But he's the real deal.

OL depth still concerns me, not sure more than an injury or 2 here can be tolerated.

The defense runs hot/cold so much that I am not sure anyone can tell what we have.

Overall, this is a young talented FB team with upside, however understand that young FB teams can be very inconsistent and they will have some ugly games over time. Once these guys get some time under their belt..watch out!

On to week 1!!! gopackgo

Based on what I've seen through preseason, it's like I've suggested before it started, Love will be relying more on the short passing game than anything deep. Intermediate routes will be thrown at times, but the jail break pass is only going to be there for show, if a D pinches down too tight.

The running game has to work. If it doesn't, we're going to be punting a lot. That would put a heavy load on our defense. Like Mark said, they run hot and cold, and they will run down early in the season, because of the heat that goes with the time on the field. The Packers need to have consistency moving the football.

I felt Love did even better than I expected. He's got a good arm, and he's learned a lot, by observing, and working in practices. I feel a lot better about him now than I did before the preseason started. Still, the jury is out.

I see a couple of surprises on the horizon, with the 53 man roster. I'm also thinking the Packers might be working a trade or two for guys they have who are on the bubble, for late draft picks.

I'm liking Patrick Taylor if they keep a third RB. Goodson's injury is an AC joint, that ain't healing yet this season. Taylor's been showing some cutting ability this year. Little bit of agility.

I think it's tough to tell on our depth because a lot their success was against the other teams third string. Love will be fine though he'll struggle some early in the season just because most players do year 1 as a starters.

Defensively it's really tough for me to like this scheme. Berry is betting on pressure way too much and it can burn you. I am wrong. Let's go play ball for real!

I'm liking Patrick Taylor if they keep a third RB. Goodson's injury is an AC joint, that ain't healing yet this season. Taylor's been showing some cutting ability this year. Little bit of agility.
Taylor nothing special. I fully expect 3rd RB to be a rotating door like it was last year.

Every throw is a referendum on the guy, I can’t take it. It’s preseason, it’s all plain vanilla stuff, just let it go.

Yup, people are over-analyzing everything. They see a bad throw and think "Rodgers (or Favre) would have thrown it better". It's like they don't remember, even as recently as last year, the poor throws AR was making at times. The one's in the dirt and off-target, and the wide open guys he just didn't see. Love is in his first real extended run with the ones. He's going to be off at times. No QB is 100%. He might suck down the road, but for right now he looks like he's making the right reads and doing it in rhythm - which is the biggest hurdle.

Very few notable performances from players on the bubble.

I'd move Ballentine into the 53, SJC off.

Wilson-An ugly stat line, but the 2nd/3rd OL just didn't open any holes. I'd still keep him, but I suspect they'll start the year with 2 RBs, Taylor and Wilson on the PS.

Carpenter looked better at MLBer. It's a low bar, but as he was probably going to make it for his STs ability, it's good to see.

Newman had an injury, but assuming he's healthy, I think he makes the team...even if I don't think he should. The OT position is going to be interesting. I didn't notice Caleb Jones until later in the game

Cox Jr looked even better.

WRer-I still think the top 6 is pretty settled. If there's anyone at risk here, I'd say it'd be Toure with Dubose beating him out, but going back to all the comments by MLF and Gutekunst, that seems unlikely. I think the Packers are going to be able to develop some of these PS players, whoever it ends up being. Dubose, Chrest, Bones....I think Bo Melton has fallen out of favor. Still like the idea of developing Dre Miller. Late signing, but big physically, really fits the Packers scheme.

Watson needed to make that catch on the underthrow by Love if he wants to elevate his game, but that's not a 53 man issue.

Back