Post Draft Thoughts & Notes

Terranimal

Reaction score
Dust has settled and another draft is in the books. Like many of you most likely spent Sunday finding out everything could on recent picks and read everyone's early dradft grades on teams. What always find humourous is that teams get graded low or high and yet these players have yet to play a down in the NFL. The true grades won't be known until 3 years from now.

Before grading the picks think it is also important to remember what have been the thorns in our side the past 2 years. On Defense in playoff loses it has been player breakdowns on assignments and poor tackling. On Offense last year was Receivers not getting open and dropped balls. Overall team depth was also a big concern as we found out the hard way when starters went down. When healthy this is one of the better teams in the NFL and can compete with anyone.

This draft class was considered one of the weakest in years. And even players that were considered possible impact players had either either character risks or medical questions surrounding them. So while teams that selected these type of players got higher draft grades, Thompson took the safe route.

Let's face it, Thompson has had a couple of bad drafts seemed to hit on his class last year. For a team that doesn't use free agency, the draft is even more important.

Also one needs to consider all factors in when looking at this draft class. Thompson places a high priority on intangibles. Team chemistry and locker room is just as important as is football intelligence. Wonderlic scores aren't as important to him as football intelligence is. Yes there is also the move to biggert and faster players, but those intangibles must be there.

So overall scores? Well most seem to give us a "B". Think our draft can be summed up in two words: Safe and Solid. When considering what issues have been on this team, isn't this just what we needed? Like previously said, when healthy this team is very good with few holes.

Worth noting. A big problem has been lack of a coverage LB outside of anyone named Matthews. Thompson basically double dipped there by drafting OLB Fackrell and ILB Martinez. Our O-Line is one of the best but suffered when injury hit plus 3 will be free agents next year. The two we took are both considered upgrades to current back ups and future starters..

Overall in weak draft class wasn't maybe as exciting as other years, but finding solid players, assignment sure and sound tackling sounds just like what was needed. Time will tell if indeed Thompson was the smartest guy in the room or out smarted himself.

One thought. Our first 2 picks were both in consideration on many boards as 1st rd picks. Had they been picked in reversed many of these guys handing out grades would given us a higher grade. I'm just glad we got both and upgraded both lines hopefully.

Extra points. Every year there are perceived reaches which baffle but if the player pans out the team's and GM are called Geniuses. At the same time other players take massive falls and to the average fan these are even more baffling. In some cases players considered possible mid round picks go undrafted. The reasoning????

Several different reasons. Obvious ones are character red flags or injury concerns that maybe weren't known to anyone outside of the teams. Other factors include less then desirable mesurables or needing development. But many times these draft sites have players rated higher then NFL teams and their scouting staffs do on the their real draft boards.

GM's can't win. With all the drafts sites and pundits out there, every pick is questioned against Kiper, CBS, Mayock, etc., etc. They're all reaches or steals. People tend to forget (I'm guilty at times as well) that this is hardly hard science and every scout and team ranks guys differently.

Some of these pundits are doing actual scouting, some are simply putting together their own thoughts with information from team scouts and trying to figure out an approximate landing spot for guys. Really early in the draft things are reasonably clear. As you get beyond the first 8-10 things start to get fuzzier. The difference between the #4 DT and the #8 DT is probably minor and may amount to which team values certain things. On individual team boards, #4 and #8 could easily occupy opposite spots. (Even the pundits vary widely - Clark was #21, #36 and #58 in various places.) I figure anything within a round or so isn't really a reach after the first 10 our so. Plus, the more the draft moves along, it could be as much as a 2-3 round difference.

People will praise one day and question GMs the next. If you take Myles Jack, it's a genius move, until the knee flairs up midway through the season and he needs major surgery and now he's out for the season and maybe part of next season. The Jags and 'Boys are the heroes and look smart now, but if Jack and Smith have ongoing knee problems and never live up to their billing, fans will wish they had those picks back. At least they didn't take them in Rd 1.

Hard to disagree with most of this. The problem in that underlying theme appears to be not to jump in with opinions, for whatever reason, about the choices. If we just sit back and see how it plays out, it'd be very quiet around here. The draft is a big deal, how would you have us discuss it?

I don't disagree with discussing it, heck, I rip on some of the picks. In my case, I'm just saying it's kind of a no-win situation for the GMs. We hate them when they "reach", and hate them when they pick value and the player doesn't pan out - but they are certainly fair game for some criticism.

All these draft sites make everyone an expert unlike the old days where you just sort of knew a few players after the draft was done from watching college games. You had no idea in the vast majority of cases if the pick was a good one or not for the point they were picked.

Half....my thread was more about these self proclaimed experts, not fans. Years ago there were only a few sites. Now it's in the thousands and years ago was by actual former NFL people. Now everyone online tries to claim they are an expert.

By all means fans should discuss and express their thoughts as that's what sites like this are for.☺

People will praise one day and question GMs the next. If you take Myles Jack, it's a genius move, until the knee flairs up midway through the season and he needs major surgery and now he's out for the season and maybe part of next season. The Jags and 'Boys are the heroes and look smart now, but if Jack and Smith have ongoing knee problems and never live up to their billing, fans will wish they had those picks back. At least they didn't take them in Rd 1.
Here's National Football Post's Monday Morning MD's take on Jack's situation:

Myles Jack is the other top linebacker with medical issues and his situation is the opposite of Smith. Jack is healthy and able to play today, but the question is for how long? The Jaguars were rumored to be interested in selecting Jack with their number one pick and overall 5thselection. With the medical issues, they nabbed him at the top of round two.

Jack reportedly has an osteochondral defect (osteochondritis dissecans – OCD) lesion involving his knee articular cartilage and the underlying bone. This is essentially a separate issue from his meniscus tear and is likely congenital. The irony is the OCD may never have been discovered by teams absent the meniscus issue. There would have been no reason to X-ray or MRI the knee if there was no knee injury history.

No one knows how long Jack will play. If, or some say when, the OCD lesion breaks off, microfracture type surgery with up to a one year recovery is needed. Regrowing articular cartilage is the “holy grail” of orthopedics as typically the new cartilage is not as strong as the original.

The whole article also detail Jaylon Smith's situation: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/monday-morning-md-2016-nfl-draft-dominated-by-medical/

Jack is likely a ticking timebomb and Smith's bomb already went off without surety of successful reconstruction. Call me a pussy, but I wouldn't want to risk a 1st rounder on such a risk. I don't think TT should be criticized if Jack's knee happens to hold together, or if Smith recovers in record time and they become a superstars. Our medical staff should bear the brunt, since passing on them was purely a medical decision.

Last edited:
Half....my thread was more about these self proclaimed experts, not fans. Years ago there were only a few sites. Now it's in the thousands and years ago was by actual former NFL people. Now everyone online tries to claim they are an expert.

By all means fans should discuss and express their thoughts as that's what sites like this are for.☺

Sorry. Being a fan in a fan forum, I took it to be another of the "how can you question the people that get paid to do this (draft)" put-downs. If you're talking about the people who get famous and/or rich doing the same thing we do here, by all means, carry on. :)

Sorry. Being a fan in a fan forum, I took it to be another of the "how can you question the people that get paid to do this (draft)" put-downs. If you're talking about the people who get famous and/or rich doing the same thing we do here, by all means, carry on. :)

Too bad we can't find work doing what we do around here. ;)

Yes that is totally it Half. People on this forum are intelligent and informed fans. It's one of the reasons I came here. Love the many discussions we get into on this site from time to time.

That said, just wanted to throw a word of caution out there as to not let these different sites bring down or influence people's thoughts on the players we just got.

While the overall draft was less then exciting, am excited to see how these players do down the road.

Back