Packers Worst Loss?

Terranimal

Reaction score
With some bad losses recently thought maybe some therapy was needed by saying what was your worst game lost you can remember.

For those of us older, this is a tough question as we lived through the drought period of bad teams and even worse QBs of 70s and 80s, though were some bright spots like the Lynn Dickey era where we had a great Offense and no Defense for a few years and of course the Majic year of think was 88-89 season.

Back to losses. Like said a deep pool of them for us older folks. So will kick it off with my top 4 and you make a case which one was worst for you off them or a different one altogether....

4.) The 4th and 26 at Philly. Was a game would appear we had and Defense break down. ( Btw is it me or has this been a reoccurring theme through different coaches and eras here?)

3.) '07 Championship at Lambeau with Favre against the Giants. This one will never forget. A rejuvenated Favre as that season finally had the weapons and was playing like his younger self with less bonehead int..... wait for it....til the most important play of the game. Easy for me to say, but all he had to do was run a few yds but instead threw the int. Also will never forget seeing him look like he was freezing on the sidelines....have no doubts had that been a road game or dome, we win easily with Favre.

2.) Super Bowl loss to Bronco's. The game Ron Wolf refers to as his team being a "Fart in the Wind" game. This game is one we should have won similar to how our current season should be better. A lot if comparisons can be drawn from this loss to current season.....MH made some coaching eras in this game. Wolf has said he made roster mistakes....one is letting LB Wayne Simmons go though was a hard guy for some to deal with in locker room was one of leaders and set tone on field which was saying a lot when we had a loaded roster with White, Butler and company. Another was Gabe Wilkins replacing Sean Jones who retired. Gabe didn't have the heart and desire, as Wolf said he didn't go 100% during the SB and gave up some plays....yes we know the final score and watch TD burn the clock and yds keeping the ball out of Favre's hands who was playing hot and better then Elway. On hindsight from everyone which 100%, know should have just let TD scored and gave Favre a chance but didnt, Defense didn't stop him, he scored and no time left for number 4. ( Different time and HC and maybe the first Defense breakdown of modern times)

1.) My worst loss. Can you guess? Now one can make an argument for any have already listed, but this my personal list. So from all the losses from late 60's on this is the top one for me.......

Yes, the Seattle Play Off loss. Our team stayed pretty healthy, Rodgers playing at an MVP level, and we had already beat the Patriots who ended up beating Seattle in the Super Bowl. Since most likely this game and details are still everyone's memories, won't rehash it. But this was the worst lost for me having the game won and previously beating Pat's and the fashion in which we lost.

Now Im not a paid player for the Pack and this sticks with me and imo is still carrying aftershocks through the locker room in different ways. Of course this isn't the thread for that and we have DHH(

So staying on topic which is your worst Packer loss? One of these 4, or a different one?

Last edited:
That's a loaded question, I guess the Favre playoff loss to the Giants still sticks in my mind more then anything.Perfect setting in the snow at Lambeau and we blew it.

Seattle game never bugged me because I picked GB to lose that game ... made a lot of you mad but that team was playing too big for it's britches and was exposed. (Have never recovered).

Other then that the SB loss to the Broncos would be next..

That's a loaded question, I guess the Favre playoff loss to the Giants still sticks in my mind more then anything.Perfect setting in the snow at Lambeau and we blew it.
Just quickly jogging my memory for a loss to the Giants and the game that comes up as painful is the 2011 season with Rodgers when we were 15-1 only to lose to the Giants at Lambeau. The Giants punched us right in the mouth that night.
The 2007 loss also to the Giants was tough too. Yeah, Favre threw that poor pass in OT that killed us.
Ouch, both those losses were pure pain.

Last edited:
The "worst" loss for this Packer fan still remains that Seattle debacle in the NFC Championship game. The Packers had them by the throat but just hung-on for dear life until the unthinkable occurred. That Bostick blunder on the onside kick was a total nightmare. FP(FP(FP(

Last edited:
Just quickly jogging my memory for a loss to the Giants and the game that comes up as painful is the 2011 season with Rodgers when we were 15-1 only to lose to the Giants at Lambeau. The Giants punched us right in the mouth that night.

Actually, that one probably isn't in my top 10. In another forum, I'd been talking smoke-and-mirrors most of the season, so much so that the board owner asked me to quit posting because I was raining on their parade. The defense in 2011 only held the opponents under 21 points in 7 of the games, and that was against stalwarts like Bears, Falcons, Rams, Vikings, Lions, Raiders and (ironically) Chiefs. If the Rodgers-led offense ever failed to light up the scoreboard, they were in trouble. The fact that they got blown out at Lambeau certainly made it more painful, but if you'd have told me that they'd only score 20 points themselves, I'd have chalked it up as a loss. By the way, the forum owner nearly committed virtual suicide in a post after the Giants game.

Another one was the infamous "Fail Mary" game in Seattle. sick( What is it about us playing games up there?

Bears 61 Packers 7 Pearl Harbor Day (December 7, 1980), Soldier Field. We'd started the season beating the Bears 12-6 in OT, then came laying this egg. Bart Starr was the head coach.

I hate to say this, but I was at the game, and glad that I wasn't wearing any Packer gear. It was a total embarrassment.

I went to work at midnight, following the game, and had to listen to fellow cops (Bears fans) constantly chirping about how they handled the Packers. I bit my tongue all night. Worst game I ever attended, and possibly the worst beating the Packers ever took, and it had to be against the damned Bears!

I suspect for me it will be the Seattle game, because of what was at stake. Sure, they may have been playing over their heads, but that was the case in 2010 as well, and that's fine with me. That game was won. They had to find ways to lose it. After that it was the Super Bowl. Play over your head one more game and you are world champs again. I'd have been happy to get there even if we'd have lost. I suspect that is why I'm not as down on the Super Bowl loss to Denver even though there are things about that game that irk me.

The Denver SB loss continues to eat at me because (a) the Pack was a heavy favorite and (b) the difference between 4-1 and 5-0 in bragging right is SO big - could have been one of two multiple winners with a perfect record (but are now tied for 6th in win percentage) and would be behind only the Steelers for total wins (now also behind the Cowboys and 49ers).

If I was to choose the biggest "theft loss," I'd be saying it was the Seattle game with the Fail Mary. I've never seen officials take a game away from someone that meant that much.

It was the worst officiating error in the history of the game, because it decided a Super Bowl game before it even happened.

Back