Packers sign DL Christian Ringo, TE Mitchell Henry to Futures contracts

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-8730753.0.jpg

Several players from this year's practice squad are going to remain in Green Bay throughout this offseason.

The Green Bay Packers' 2015 season is over, which means that the team will begin looking ahead to the 2016 season. Of course, general manager Ted Thompson has probably been doing little besides that for months now.

Still, 'tis the season for practice squad players and others who are not under contract for 2016 to begin signing contracts that will put them on the 90-man roster and keep them as Packers throughout the offseason. Reports out of Green Bay today indicate that at least two players have been signed to Futures contracts, and will be given plenty of opportunities to make next year's 53-man roster.

First up is sixth-round draft pick Christian Ringo, who spend all season on the practice squad:

The #Packers signed defensive lineman Christian Ringo to a reserve/futures deal. Ringo was a 6th-round pick and impressed on practice squad.

— Michael Cohen (@Michael_Cohen13) January 18, 2016

Ringo, who is listed at 6'1" and 298 pounds, was one of the last cuts in training camp, but was brought back immediately onto the practice squad. Thanks to the Packers' good health on the defensive line this season, he was not needed on the active roster, but should have a shot in 2016 after a few players hit free agency.

Up next is a tight end:

Mitchell Henry said he signed a futures deal with #Packers. He'll be one to watch going into this offseason

— Weston Hodkiewicz (@WesHod) January 18, 2016

Henry was one of the Packers' first undrafted free agent signings last season. The Western Kentucky product was picked up off waivers by the Denver Broncos after final cut-downs, but was released after a few weeks. Once clearing waivers, the 6'4", 252-pound Henry immediately returned to the Packers and joined the practice squad, where he spent the rest of the season.

Shortly after initial publishing of this article, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Tom Silverstein confirmed two more names who have signed Futures contracts: linebacker Carl Bradford and offensive guard Matt Rotheram. Bradford was a fourth-round pick in 2014 and spent all of that season on the 53-man roster, but was inactive for each game. He spent 2015 on the practice squad along with Rotheram, an undrafted rookie from Pittsburgh.

The Packers now have five confirmed players on Futures contracts, as these two join quarterback Ryan Williams, who was signed about two weeks ago.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

I think that's good news. Fully expect Rotheram, Ringo and Henry to make the squad next year. Don't know about Bradford. I hope he will because he is an old fashioned football player, but I don't know if he can complete the transition to ILB.

I think Bradford was on Gilbert Brown's radio show tonight. I didn't catch much, but why I think it was him because the guy said he'd be interning with the Az State athletic dept in the offseason.

I think that's good news. Fully expect Rotheram, Ringo and Henry to make the squad next year. Don't know about Bradford. I hope he will because he is an old fashioned football player, but I don't know if he can complete the transition to ILB.

Well 2016 TC is going to be make it or break it for these guys. If they don't make the roster their pro football careers could be over.

Back