Packers defeat Browns 17-11 in Preseason Game #1

Thought it was a tough game to learn much. When you're starting your 3rd string QB it's hard to hold anyone's feet to the fire.
BUT: The safety was on the OL. Barcley's first snap and he didn't hit anyone. Tough call from a tough spot on the field, but you gotta hit someone! Watched him pretty close and we're in trouble if he has to play center. Fackrell had a sack, but when no one blocks you you should get it. I was more impressed that he didn't get a concussion with the shot he took to the head. Goodson better shine in practice because he might of dug the hole for himself this game. I think he's gone. Was hoping to get a little more out of Pennel. He was going against their backups and didn't make any plays, thought he'd be a little hungrier or desperate with the suspension looming.

Otherwise I'd say Crosby had the best game with two 54 yard FGs.

I wasn't impressed with the DL either. I was really watching to see if they got any push to collapse the pocket. Nada from my point of view.

Agree that Clark didn't do much but I wasn't expecting him to be a one man wrecking machine.

Looking forward to seeing Rodgers play a series or two next week...just to see what some of the possibilities are for the receivers. You can tell that the rookie QB's are really green. They did a couple of good things but have a lot to learn. I thought Williams was better with his feet than Callahan.

I agree that it looked like MM was really working on the TE's and Cook made some good catches. Perillo really stood out to me.

Abby really made some good plays and with Janis going to be out this will end any debate regarding his ability to be a good receiver. I think it pretty much guarantees that Abby makes the team. Maybe they be able to keep Janis as a gunner if he can play with a club.

Looking forward to Thursday nite.

i think for sure abby has made the team. allison and adams both failed to live up to training camp hype. after a fast start in training camp, davis is clearly buried on the depth chart. it's like mccarthy has a fear of fast receivers. we're going to go with jordy and a bunch of slow guys again.

but the good news this year is we are looking pretty decent at the tight end position and eddie lacy appears to be back to a decent playing weight. that should make a big enough difference to counter the lack of speed at wr.

i have to admit that i did not see much of the game, but personally i was not impressed with williams. but then again, i don't feel it necessary to be impressed by a fourth string qb.

i guess i'm the only one who thought the dl looked pretty decent. we only gave up 77 yards rushing and had three sacks. i know that's not all on the dl. the linebackers did a lot of that work. but as we all know, in this defense the dl is responsible for keeping the linebackers clean so they can make the plays. i was encouraged by the play of our defense in this game. just get rid of goodson and we'll be okay.

I thought the D line looked okay. That was Clark's first game so I wasn't expecting much.

I think Adams is more highly regarded by his coaches than he is by a lot of fans. From what I hear he is having a decent camp...

I'm with you on the DL, rb. I don't remember CLE doing anything at all up the middle really. Thought they had one big run to the outside or maybe between the tackle and guard. First action with pads, no game planning. Not sure what people were expecting really.

Another thing to keep in mind from this game, especially evaluating our D depth: the first three QBs CLE had out there have significant NFL experience. McCown has roasted this D before. Austin Davis isn't a scrub either, considering the state of Qb play in the league. Considering those guys and then GB put out Joe Callahan and Marquise Williams and still outgained them 330yards to 196, that's not a bad showing.

Real problem areas IMO were penalties and punt returns, which remained putrid.

Back