Packers Approach to Free Agency

That's just it. The old cliche of "It's a business" rings true. Lang has to get what he considers is right and the Packers have to do the same. As fans, it hurts to see an important cog leave but it's the reality of the NFL every year. I just hate that he went to the Lions.

Just remember also Lang is from MI played college ball there and is a huge MI sports fan. I would not be shocked if he is really a Lions fan also. So part of this is going home and perhaps playing for his boyhood team.

So in other words, Lang's talk about I want to end my career here was a bunch of bogus. It's not like he couldn't have lives on 7 million a year and 6.5 guaranteed.

I understand you have to get paid but then don't come out and say this is home and I want to stay here when you will jump ship immediately when you see a little $'s.

So in other words, Lang's talk about I want to end my career here was a bunch of bogus. It's not like he couldn't have lives on 7 million a year and 6.5 guaranteed.

I understand you have to get paid but then don't come out and say this is home and I want to stay here when you will jump ship immediately when you see a little $'s.

but it wasn't just "a little $'s". at this point in his career, with injuries taking their toll, it's all about the guaranteed money. huge difference between 6.5 million and 19 million. not even close.

but it wasn't just "a little $'s". at this point in his career, with injuries taking their toll, it's all about the guaranteed money. huge difference between 6.5 million and 19 million. not even close.
And with the recent injury history, 19 million is a lot to guarantee. What if Lang's hip injury doesn't heal properly. How about the twice broken foot? Will it be good or will it need surgery because it isn't healed right? We don't know the severity or the prognosis. Detroit isn't known for their front office prowess. Could this just be another big Lion mistake?

I think that's the stand pat line that that they all give during their contract year. The initial shock has lessened and I'm not gonna blame Lang for leaving. I understand what you're saying though and part of me felt that way too.

He was honest. It's a tough business and money won out. The Packers proposed a three-year $21.5M deal, 6.5M guaranteed. He got $28.5M, 19M guaranteed from the Lions! A no brainer. I'm sure he wasn't happy with the large disparity and felt the need to justify Lions over Packers, two teams who have been on opposite sides of the spectrum the past several years!

Lang also said during same interview with Detroit 97.1 FM: "Ultimately, really, Detroit made the decision for me. "They made me feel so wanted and so welcome in the facility. And obviously this is home for us, so everything, factoring in the contract, moving the family back home, being able to raise my kids in the area that I was raised in really went a long way for me and turned out to make the decision pretty easily."

I wish TJ well!

Is kind of funny how Lang before FA said he hoped to stay in GB because his kids were born here and how they and himself considered this home. But now it sounds like GB was never home just a temporary stay for a job.

Is kind of funny how Lang before FA said he hoped to stay in GB because his kids were born here and how they and himself considered this home. But now it sounds like GB was never home just a temporary stay for a job.

Standard line they all say when contract negotiations are near. It's almost an exception anymore that a player stays his whole career with one team.

I get everything about Lang following the money and GB assigning value and sticking to it. That's not new to me or anyone else.

What I found interesting was that 1. the Packers have been leveraging Rodgers and their consistent winning record to get and keep FA on below market deals, which isn't noteworthy in itself but for the fact that 2. those same FA have started to see through that crap and maybe aren't going to go for it nearly as much in the future. To me that means that some players in the room are tuning out the rah-rah GB stuff and now mgt will either need to be more open to paying guys market or above to stay here, or that mgt needs to be replaced with a group who will.

Think you have a valid point rp that the players are starting to figure it out. I really think Sitton was the instigator in starting this conversation and the reason he was released. Just reading between the lines. Packer brass don't like this attitude and dug their heels in on TJ. Although I think he got over paid by the Lions and had health concerns it might have been better to match the offer for morale and leadership purposes alone. A few million more wouldn't have hurt their cap space that much.

Think you have a valid point rp that the players are starting to figure it out. I really think Sitton was the instigator in starting this conversation and the reason he was released. Just reading between the lines. Packer brass don't like this attitude and dug their heels in on TJ. Although I think he got over paid by the Lions and had health concerns it might have been better to match the offer for morale and leadership purposes alone. A few million more wouldn't have hurt their cap space that much.

This started way before Sitton... This all stems from the Seattle loss and the summer after. The "magic" left the building from that point on.

Back