Packers apply to host 2019 NFL draft

GBP4EVER

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Mark Murphy on a local radio show mentioned that the Packers have applied to host the 2019 NFL draft. 2019 will mark the teams 100th anniversary and the new titletown district should be open by then.

It still won't have enough hotel rooms etc to get the job done. That's a big event. I would be shocked if GB hosted it.
Roger Goodell made it clear to Packer fans that the Super Bowl won't be held in Green Bay because of an "insufficient infrastructure." In other words, the small community doesn't have the 30,000 hotels required to hold such an enormous event. The general area in Wisconsin just could not support the amount of people that would flock to Green Bay.

Never say never, but I suspect that the same would hold true when it comes to this application to host an NFL Draft.

This is not just a hotel room issue which is a slight problem but a logistics issue. Green Bay is not the easiest destination to fly into. It's a 3 day event so you need restaurants, attractions and other events to compliment the draft. Yes Green Bay has the tradition I get that but if I am a fan visiting for a 3 day event I'm not sure it's my ideal destination

I guess canton is also going to throw their hat in the ring for 2019.

If you are a true draft fan, it probably doesn't matter since there are a lot of hours soaked up in the actual draft process itself. Let's say you fly in on Thursday morning. By the time you get situated and have some lunch, it time to go to the stadium area. Maybe take a stadium tour if you have time and then settle in for several hours in the evening for the draft. Friday, you maybe take the stadium tour if you haven't already and see the HOF, and again settle in for the draft for the evening. Saturday AM you walk around the Titletown district which would probably have displays set up by the Packers and NFL, then again, settle in for the afternoon for the draft. Leave Saturday night or Sunday AM. Heck you can even stop in Milwaukee on the way out since you'll likely have a connecting flight through there and catch a Brewer game or the Harley Museum or ??

The thing is, that probably works for the diehard draftnik, but the more casual fans are probably not going to find enough stuff to do for 3 days because they probably won't spend 12-16 hours at the draft headquarters.

I agree that the flight logistics are a problem, and also the weather. Chicago was tough weather this past spring. Green Bay would have been worse. I'm just not sure that time of year is suited to an event of this type. If they do it, I would think the crowd would be comprised of a relatively few diehards and mostly locals.

If you are a true draft fan, it probably doesn't matter since there are a lot of hours soaked up in the actual draft process itself. Let's say you fly in on Thursday morning. By the time you get situated and have some lunch, it time to go to the stadium area. Maybe take a stadium tour if you have time and then settle in for several hours in the evening for the draft. Friday, you maybe take the stadium tour if you haven't already and see the HOF, and again settle in for the draft for the evening. Saturday AM you walk around the Titletown district which would probably have displays set up by the Packers and NFL, then again, settle in for the afternoon for the draft. Leave Saturday night or Sunday AM. Heck you can even stop in Milwaukee on the way out since you'll likely have a connecting flight through there and catch a Brewer game or the Harley Museum or ??

The thing is, that probably works for the diehard draftnik, but the more casual fans are probably not going to find enough stuff to do for 3 days because they probably won't spend 12-16 hours at the draft headquarters.

I agree that the flight logistics are a problem, and also the weather. Chicago was tough weather this past spring. Green Bay would have been worse. I'm just not sure that time of year is suited to an event of this type. If they do it, I would think the crowd would be comprised of a relatively few diehards and mostly locals.

The only logical location to hold the event is the stadium. Agree on the weather but the Resch Center is not a sexy TV venue. Good point on the weather. Connecting flights could be out of Minneapolis of Chicago also depending on origination. They have to sell the history and tradition

Mark Murphy on a local radio show mentioned that the Packers have applied to host the 2019 NFL draft. 2019 will mark the teams 100th anniversary and the new titletown district should be open by then.
Would be very cool if the NFL let GB have that moment. 100th anniversary for such an iconic team should matter.

Holding a SB is impossible, but the draft isn't quite in that magnitude. I think it could be done with some creativity.

Packers have applied also to host 2020 and 2021 draft hoping to get one of them.

Murphy does admit though GB getting it is long shot.

Back