• Lee Roy Caffey

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Brian Noble

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Dave Robinson

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nitschke and Matthews are easy; picking between Anderson and Robinson is a little tougher. I need to think about that part of it.

For me, Nitschke and Robinson were easy. The 3rd one was tougher. I went with Carr because his career is done. Matthews would definitely be my choice if his career lasts another 5 years or so and he continues to play at a high level.

After thinking about it, I decided to go with Nitschke, Robinson, and Anderson. I'm not sure Matthews is living up to a spot on that list.

The first 3 or 4 seasons of his career were exceptional, but frankly he's just not playing at that level anymore. Maybe it's the injuries, but at this point in his career I really don't think he's one of the best 3 linebackers in franchise history. I agree that if he continues to play at his current level for a few more years, his body of work may earn him that recognition, but I don't really feel confident that he will. The last couple of seasons, he just hasn't seemed like the same player, and if that trend continues I don't see him as a Top 3 all-time.

After thinking about it, I decided to go with Nitschke, Robinson, and Anderson. I'm not sure Matthews is living up to a spot on that list.

The first 3 or 4 seasons of his career were exceptional, but frankly he's just not playing at that level anymore. Maybe it's the injuries, but at this point in his career I really don't think he's one of the best 3 linebackers in franchise history. I agree that if he continues to play at his current level for a few more years, his body of work may earn him that recognition, but I don't really feel confident that he will. The last couple of seasons, he just hasn't seemed like the same player, and if that trend continues I don't see him as a Top 3 all-time.

I <respectfully> disagree. all you have to do is look at what happened to our defense when he was asked to play inside in the latter part of last season. the defense looked better by leaps and bounds. he may not have the gaudy sack numbers that he had early on, but he is a force to be reckoned with on the field. imho, of course.

I don't believe you can judge Matthews yet as he is mid career ... but guys like Nitschke and Robinson are greats without a doubt.

Nitschke, Anderson and Robinson. With a nod to Bryce Paup.

I <respectfully> disagree. all you have to do is look at what happened to our defense when he was asked to play inside in the latter part of last season. the defense looked better by leaps and bounds. he may not have the gaudy sack numbers that he had early on, but he is a force to be reckoned with on the field. imho, of course.

I don't think you're disagreeing with me, though. My thinking is that for his first couple-three years, he was possibly the best LB in the NFL. He's no longer at that level, but he's still one of the better ones, and certainly the best on the team. Had he continued to dominate at that level, he'd already be legitimately part of the discussion as one of the Top 3 all time Packer LBs, but as it is, it looks as though if he's ever going to be considered one of them he'll need to do it on the basis of his body of work over a longer career. He's still one hell of a player; he just doesn't have the big "S" on his chest that it looked like he was wearing the first few seasons.

Back