Packers 2022 Draft Thread

1st 3 picks are good ones and should be solid contributors, the rest are of the back up types/special teams if they make the team.

Overall, it doesn't seem they did that much for special teams. No obvious big-time return ability, though I believe both Watson and Doubs have some history as returners but not a lot of numbers for either of them.

The only guy clearly taken for special teams ability is Tariq Carpenter who seems to profile as a punt and kick coverage guy. Walker can certainly help on coverage teams as well if he's up for it.

Not sure what Toure brings to special teams. Not much in the way of stats so no real history as a returner. Hopefully he can provide some help as a coverage guy/gunner since the Packers did not draft any true DBs who are often the guys you see at the gunner position.

Once again the Packers payed lip service to special teams but I didn't really see much effort in terms of talent acquisition. Hopefully RichB is good at making chicken salad out of chicken dung.

Overall, it doesn't seem they did that much for special teams. No obvious big-time return ability, though I believe both Watson and Doubs have some history as returners but not a lot of numbers for either of them.

The only guy clearly taken for special teams ability is Tariq Carpenter who seems to profile as a punt and kick coverage guy. Walker can certainly help on coverage teams as well if he's up for it.

Not sure what Toure brings to special teams. Not much in the way of stats so no real history as a returner. Hopefully he can provide some help as a coverage guy/gunner since the Packers did not draft any true DBs who are often the guys you see at the gunner position.

Once again the Packers payed lip service to special teams but I didn't really see much effort in terms of talent acquisition. Hopefully RichB is good at making chicken salad out of chicken dung.
From Brennen Rupp of Packers Wire: “He’s a big-play threat. He’s got the ideal length. He’s a polished route runner with reliable hands. He has special teams experience as a kick returner.”

They signed a UDFA from Penn State Ellis Brooks that should be a good teams player...tackling machine-type kid.

Trust me. Special teams will improve dramatically. I'd bet they had that in their minds from the middle of the draft on, through the free agent signings.

I think Gute said they wanted to help ST's but they wanted to stay true to their board so they did not reach for players who would be on ST but be a reach in their eyes.

It's a multi year retooling process. There were too many holes to address them all this year. They got some help in the trenches and at WR and middle of Def. That was a good start.

Draft grades for little as it's worth

Grade
A
Green Bay Packers

Green Bay Packers

Draft picks

Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: A

Analysis: Two Georgia defenders made their way to a Green Bay front seven in need of youth and athleticism, which made a lot of sense given the price other teams paid for receivers early in the first round. The Packers paid a mid-second round pick themselves to trade up for Watson, eschewing Skyy Moore and George Pickens to grab Watson as a potential downfield playmaker. Rhyan's versatility and toughness made him an easy third-round pick.

Doubs and Toure give the team more options at receiver, which was a requirement coming out of this draft. Tom's intelligence and versatility are exactly what the Packers covet (they selected him using the comp pick gained from losing center Corey Linsley). Enagbare is a powerful edge rusher, an excellent find late in the fifth round. Walker's play lacked consistency at Penn State, but his potential to play left tackle was worth a pick in the late stages of the draft.

I see the Washington Post crapped on the draft becaue they did not give Lord Rodgers 2 1st round WR's.

Back