Packer WR In 2016

I don't know how similar they are Pack. Janis has 2" and 30+ lbs on Davis, at similar straight line speed. I think Davis will do more as a receiver precisely because of the hands you mention but on ST it's not close. Janis is a big fast body who can get down the field. He's proven as a gunner. TT carried Jarrett Bush for years for precisely the same role, so to me Janis would have to screw up big time to lose a roster spot.

I'm also not discounting the possibility Montgomery starts the year on PUP. That was a bad injury, aggravated by trying to play on it and he had surgery relatively recently. Just putting it out there.

Valid point. Not sure on Davis vertical which may or mm may not compensate for the 2"'. Totally agree on special teams point. History tells us Thompson won't cut a draft pick like Davis so I'm assuming it's his spot to lose. My gut is they keep 6 wr. Cook gets split out. And since he's a marginal blocker they keep 3 TE

Still and inch shorter with the vertical - Davis = 38.5, Janis = 37.5

The nfl combine page automatically puts Davis in the slot due to size

Would be shocking for them to keep 7 WRs. Probably will keep 6.

Who knows what injuries will come into play. Odds of making roster for opening game might go like this, as things stand now:

1a. Cobb. Big contract up in three years.
1b. Nelson. Same as Cobb.
3. Davis. 5th round rookie, maybe the fastest WR.
4. Janis. 3rd year, ST ace, size-speed.
5. Adams. 3rd year, 2nd round pick. Didn't produce last year, but maybe that was the injury?
6. Montgomery. 2nd year, 3rd round pick. Have him as #6 just because there's a chance he starts on PUP.
7. Abbrederis. Durable? Got cut last year before being brought back to PS.
8. Williams. PS last year.

Who knows what injuries will come into play. Odds of making roster for opening game might go like this, as things stand now:

5. Adams. 3rd year, 2nd round pick. Didn't produce last year, but maybe that was the injury?
6. Montgomery. 2nd year, 3rd round pick. Have him as #6 just because there's a chance he starts on PUP.

Assume healthy
1. Nelson. Go to guy. Great route runner
2. Cobb. Showed last year he's a complimentary type guy. Not go to
3. Montgomery. Good instincts runs solid routes.
4. Adams. Strong..inconsistent. Needs to step up
5. Davis. Size. Speed more polished from pro D1 offense. Good hands
6. Janis. Still raw. Good size speed
7. Abby. Better route runner than Janis. More of a possession guy

Janis is the new Bush.

yep. that's a good analogy. may not run the best pass routes, but has the ability to produce when needed. but his real value is on special teams.

just like bush, who was not the most awesome safety on the team, but certainly had some nice games when the team was forced to use him. but his real value was as a gunner.

one nice thing is that Janis is not just a gunner, he can also put up some nice numbers as a return man.

agree with your ranking, but still would like to see them keep seven - if those top seven guys are all healthy.

yep. that's a good analogy. may not run the best pass routes, but has the ability to produce when needed. but his real value is on special teams.

just like bush, who was not the most awesome safety on the team, but certainly had some nice games when the team was forced to use him. but his real value was as a gunner.

one nice thing is that Janis is not just a gunner, he can also put up some nice numbers as a return man.

Ya the Bush analogy is pretty good. And like Bush even though janis isn't the best, by showing up, working his butt off, and keeping his mouth shut he provides a great example and some leadership to others.

I didn't like Bush at the beginning but he really turned into a great blue chip player who contributed some leadership.

Safe : Nelson, Cobb, Montgomery
75% Safe: Adams, Davis
1-2 spots for the rest.

Safe: Nelson, Cobb, Adams (if indeed his injuries and lack of confidence led his lack of production, we'll see), Davis, Monte (if he's healthy), Janis (because of ST).

Abby? 'Bye Felicia. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if Kuhn was not re-signed, but taken care of in some way because of his knowledge. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was re-signed. I have no idea. :)

Go Rip!

I was thinking they wouldn't keep seven. But WR is the deepest group on offense right now. And it would make no sense whatsoever to cut potential at WR in order to keep 2 FB's and more than 3 TE's.

Who in the world was talking about keeping *more than* 3 TE's? Do we even have 3 TE's realistically?

Do you have a link to an article you were reading or something?

Gawd. I hate this time of year. hope(

Last edited:
There are 6 TE's on the roster going into camp. And while I'd be surprised if GB kept more than 3, you can never count out MM doing something screwy until the final 53 is set.

As of now Backman, Perillo, and Rogers all played last year, and now add in Cook. So that's 4. I don't think there is a way to justify keeping 4.. But, there are only 5 WR (Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Monty, Davis) who are pretty much locks to be back because of draft position.

I know that keeping 7 would be unusual, but TT has done odd roster balances before. I think 7 is possible because of how other roster spots are looking. They don't have a legit 3rd QB so will probably keep the Callahan kid on the PS. They have not signed Kuhn, and I don't think they will, so it's looking like only one FB will make it. They did not draft a RB so keeping 3, with one on the PS makes sense. They did not draft a TE and one of the UDFAs they did sign has already been cut (Grinnage). Are there really more than 3 TEs to keep? You could easily argue that any of Backman, Perillo and Henry are worthy of keeping or cutting. I suspect they keep Backman and keep one on the PS.

The only position that has the depth to possibly force them to not keep 7 WRs is OL. BahkT, Sitton, Lindsley, Lang, Bulaga, Spriggs, and Trettor are locks. Murphy seems likely, so that's 8. They then have to decide between Rotterham, Barclay and Taylor. No way they can keep all 3. They could maybe keep 2 but that would be 10xOL and would likely push them to cut a WR. If they keep only one of those last 3, then it's possible to keep 7xWR. The OL and WR positions will certainly be the ones to watch in camp for me.

Back