Packer WR In 2016

I know that keeping 7 would be unusual, but TT has done odd roster balances before. I think 7 is possible because of how other roster spots are looking. They don't have a legit 3rd QB so will probably keep the Callahan kid on the PS. They have not signed Kuhn, and I don't think they will, so it's looking like only one FB will make it. They did not draft a RB so keeping 3, with one on the PS makes sense. They did not draft a TE and one of the UDFAs they did sign has already been cut (Grinnage). Are there really more than 3 TEs to keep? You could easily argue that any of Backman, Perillo and Henry are worthy of keeping or cutting. I suspect they keep Backman and keep one on the PS.

The only position that has the depth to possibly force them to not keep 7 WRs is OL. BahkT, Sitton, Lindsley, Lang, Bulaga, Spriggs, and Trettor are locks. Murphy seems likely, so that's 8. They then have to decide between Rotterham, Barclay and Taylor. No way they can keep all 3. They could maybe keep 2 but that would be 10xOL and would likely push them to cut a WR. If they keep only one of those last 3, then it's possible to keep 7xWR. The OL and WR positions will certainly be the ones to watch in camp for me.

Hmmm, good point about the OL.. Especially in light of past depth issues causing major problems. I'd guess that Barclay's days are numbered. They really like Rotterham, not sure about Taylor.

I'm going to stick to 6 WR and 3 TE

I'm guessing Cook splits out on multiple packages. And again Cook is a marginal blocker at best so if you only keep 1 FB there can be a case made to keep 4 TE. As always injury plays a big part on this. Would not shock me to see 1 WR get "injured" and make it to IR

Perhaps after all the injuries we had in our WR corps we might be more inclined to keep 7? sh))

I think the Packers will only keep 6 WR's. Keeping 7 almost seems a waste of a extra roster spot as most likely you will already have the 6th WR de-active on game day.

Right now Nelson, Cobb, Adams, and Montgomery are locks to make the team.

Davis will make the team unless he just has a God awful camp and even then I see the Packers put him on IR with some injury that just happened.

This will leave the fight between Abbrederis and Janis. Janis right now holds more value as a ST player and does not have the injury history Abbrederis has. While Abbrederis is probably a more polished route runner and might have the better hands of the two.

Though both will be the likely number 5 WR so will not see much time as a WR unless a injury happens. That means the value is as a ST player which right now Janis has the advantage.

Davis will most likely be the 6th WR and have to fight not to be de-active on game dame.

If the Packers go thru camp and suffer no injuries at WR and for most purposes Janis and Abbrederis have equal camps I think Abbrederis will be the one to be cut or traded due to the fact that Janis is a more proven ST player and Abbrederis is more medically risky.

Since it is slow right now.......

Depending on who shows up and steps up I think we'll see 6 WRs and 4 TEs, because MM loves TEs. Because of our depth at WR I think there's a chance we see TT move one to gain a pick in next years draft. IF Janis and Abby show up improved from last year, the most marketable WR for trade is Adams. For arguments sake say to Cincy for a third round pick in a talent laden draft. That would leave us with Jordy, Cobb, Monty, Davis, Abby and Janis and probably two PS guys. My four TEs are Cook, Rodgers, Backman and Henry. Sorry Perillo is topped out and gone.

Love Adams, but if Monty shows up healthy, Adams is best trade bait that wouldn't hurt the overall depth. IMO

After last season I doubt you get more than a 6th for Adams. Teams aren't gonna give up a 3rd for a guy with a limited resume coming off a year like that..

I'd say Janis is most marketable since he has ST value.

Since it is slow right now.......

Depending on who shows up and steps up I think we'll see 6 WRs and 4 TEs, because MM loves TEs. Because of our depth at WR I think there's a chance we see TT move one to gain a pick in next years draft. IF Janis and Abby show up improved from last year, the most marketable WR for trade is Adams. For arguments sake say to Cincy for a third round pick in a talent laden draft. That would leave us with Jordy, Cobb, Monty, Davis, Abby and Janis and probably two PS guys. My four TEs are Cook, Rodgers, Backman and Henry. Sorry Perillo is topped out and gone.

Love Adams, but if Monty shows up healthy, Adams is best trade bait that wouldn't hurt the overall depth. IMO

Right now why trade Adams and lose value? He was a second round pick and was a down year. I think he will have a bounce back year. To me I think we have seen the best we will ever get from Abbrederis which is back of depth chart player.

For TE I see nothing in Backman. He could not even make the active game day roster last year and was only kept IMO because he was a draft pick. This year if he shows more of the same he won't make the team. Right now the talent is so poor at TE I am not even convinced it's worth keeping anyone outside of Cook and Rodgers as the rest are JAG's. If the Packers would decide to go 2 TE's to keep a extra WR I would not have a problem with that but as Dubz41 said MM does like to use the TE so that could likely mean we keep 3 which I think then would mean they only go 6 WR's.

Though lets say Janis has a good camp but is still buried on the depth chart a team at the end of TC is in need of a WR and offers a 5th for Janis would you trade him for that?

Though lets say Janis has a good camp but is still buried on the depth chart a team at the end of TC is in need of a WR and offers a 5th for Janis would you trade him for that?

Almost comes across as a logical contradiction. At first, I thought why any team, even one needing a WR, would give up a 5th for a guy buried on the depth chart. Then I realized you gave Janis a good camp. However, if he has a good camp and is still buried, you're saying that Monty and Abby are healthy, Adams regains his 2014 form, and Davis is more than speedy? Would love to see that, but I'd say the odds of most of that happening are slim. Can't remember where, but a thread had us trading Tretter for a decent draft pick to a team needing a center. My position on that sort of thing is that we always overvalue our own - if the Pack were offered a guy to play center who, in three years has 24 appearances and three starts, what would give for him? If (maybe closer to home, like last year) we needed a receiver, what would we think is reasonable to give for a guy with Janis' resume?

Almost comes across as a logical contradiction. At first, I thought why any team, even one needing a WR, would give up a 5th for a guy buried on the depth chart. Then I realized you gave Janis a good camp. However, if he has a good camp and is still buried, you're saying that Monty and Abby are healthy, Adams regains his 2014 form, and Davis is more than speedy? Would love to see that, but I'd say the odds of most of that happening are slim. Can't remember where, but a thread had us trading Tretter for a decent draft pick to a team needing a center. My position on that sort of thing is that we always overvalue our own - if the Pack were offered a guy to play center who, in three years has 24 appearances and three starts, what would give for him? If (maybe closer to home, like last year) we needed a receiver, what would we think is reasonable to give for a guy with Janis' resume?

Most likely you get a offer of a 7th but if a couple teams show interest maybe then you could get a 5th or 6th or him.

Abby I don't know if he even would draw a 7th as teams might just wait till he would get cut and go after him.

Back