Offseason fix for Packers offense

Budman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Legend In His Own Mind
Reaction score
We all heard that this offseason was gonna focus on fixing the offensive woes but has it? Here is an interesting article focusing on what MM thinks/thought was the problem and how they set about fixing it. Pay attention to the quote about developing players. Let's discuss this as I've seen some great points made in the shoutbox.

LINK

"Winning with players and not plays" - that's the hill he'll die on. His players aren't winning match ups. Just not. Step 1 is recognizing the problem but he's not going to admit that. So it'll be more of the same until either 1) the players in question flip a switch and start winning, or 2) Murphy and the Board take a long look at the football ops and decide that status quo won't get them over the hump and they need a fresh approach. Harlan had the guts to cut bait with Sherman, time for Murphy to be more than a PR man.

Great read Bud!!

"The best plays are still the basic plays. It's not the design of the play. It's what everybody can do with that design ... That's what we have to get back to -- winning with the fundamentals, with players and not plays.

In other words, it's not me it's them. I'm fine...

When you get in tough times, offensively, we may have leaned a little more towards plays instead of focusing on developing players. That's a big part of my getting back in there full-time [calling plays]. That's how I built this thing, and that's how it should be ran. We got away from that a little bit."

bh)cra)

Sorry I'm the cynic. If this isn't proof MM isn't up to the job I don't know what is. How exactly is developing players somehow mutually exclusive to developing plays?

His quotes remind me a political election. He used a lot of words but didn't actually say much of anything. This is a guy who doesn't have much of an idea of how to fix things and that the NFL evolves or that what worked in the past won't work in the future.

I also don't think that this idea of packages that rely on WR to create their own openings fits Arods skill set very well. Might be why there is a constant tension between packages and Arod changing plays at the line. I really don't think that Arod believes in MM's system anymore. Which means either Arod or MM need to change or leave.

Last edited:
McCarthy said: "The best plays are still the basic plays. It's not the design of the play. It's what everybody can do with that design ... That's what we have to get back to -- winning with the fundamentals, with players and not plays

So pretty much MM is saying yeah my game plan is NOT going to change I will keep running the same plays over and over that other teams have figured out how to defend hoping to get a different result. Is that not the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again expecting to get a different result?

Pretty much sums it up. I've been saying that we've been heading in this direction for two years. It's never his schemes, it's always the execution that failed.

I remember Coach John McKay. The guy knew football. He was the Tampa Bay coach in the beginning. A reporter asked him, after a game, about the offensive execution. McKay replied; "I think it's a good idea." In his case, with an expansion team, he had reason to be concerned. Not so with McCarthy. He has Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, and a host of guys who can make plays but can't, if the schemes aren't right.

When you watch games, you can see just how open receivers are on other teams, but there's almost always a defender where the Packer receivers are heading for the catch. It's because they know what we're doing.

It's time for change. Like someone said, Harlan saw it was time to cut Holmgren loose. Same thing here. If Thompson and McCarthy both go, we might end up seeing the end of Rodgers career being a lot like that of Favre. New coaches and GMs often don't like being told by players what's best for the team, and seasoned players like Rodgers don't like being told their game is all wrong, after it worked for so long.

I'm afraid we've passed the point of no return to change this whole thing around. A new coach will want his own direction.

Not so with McCarthy. He has Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, and a host of guys who can make plays but can't, if the schemes aren't right.

When you watch games, you can see just how open receivers are on other teams, but there's almost always a defender where the Packer receivers are heading for the catch. It's because they know what we're doing.

It's time for change. Like someone said, Harlan saw it was time to cut Holmgren loose. Same thing here. If Thompson and McCarthy both go, we might end up seeing the end of Rodgers career being a lot like that of Favre. New coaches and GMs often don't like being told by players what's best for the team, and seasoned players like Rodgers don't like being told their game is all wrong, after it worked for so long.

I'm afraid we've passed the point of no return to change this whole thing around. A new coach will want his own direction.

I said it in shout and I'll say it here. I don't mean it in a prickish way nor am I clamoring for either coach but what would Belichick or Arians do with this offense? Heck, how about any other offensive coordinator? I know that the talent may be slipping but slipping this bad?

I think Belichek and Arians would both be 3-0 and considered on their way to a showdown in Houston. They both know how to adjust their offenses and defenses to the players they have to use on the field.

I think Belichek and Arians would both be 3-0 and considered on their way to a showdown in Houston. They both know how to adjust their offenses and defenses to the players they have to use on the field.

Wow, I know they're good, but 3-0 after two games? :)

Reactions: TW
hgh)

A senior moment!

I thought that was just your normal placing of emphasis on that which needs emphasized. Subtle yet poignant. :)

Back