Official Preseason Game 3 Green Bay vs Kansas City Thread

My observations:

• Love: Interesting contrast from last game. Much better on short passes, but consistently overthrew deep passes. At least a couple was difficult to know if the WR didn't cut/drive as expected or not. Not worried about the INT as I'm guessing it was a WR issue - but even if not, it was a shot at the end of the half that wasn't a horrible chance.
  • Etling: Showed enough to clearly be an NFL QB backup. Reminds me of Case Keenum.
  • Carpenter: Had some gaffs in coverage, but looked good on ST. I wouldn't be shocked to see him on the roster...dude is fast.
  • Amari Rodgers - aka Ty Montgomery? Interesting usage of him as a RB.
  • WRs: Certainly have some interesting depth. Hopefully Lazard, Cobb, or Watkins (maybe Doubs?) can provide starting level WR quality...but we certainly have several upside #3/#4 types in Winfree, Toure, and Rodgers. Winfree is the most ready, but the lowest upside (i.e. athleticism). Hyman made some really nice grabs.
  • Backup OLBs - ugh... Engabare will make the team as a draft pick (and flashed some upside in pass rush). But most of the rest have been here multiple years without any real growth. Hopefully we pickup someone during cuts or via a trade.
  • Newman still has issues with being aware to things around him when engaged in 2x blocking. He had issues with stunts before...still had issues with blitz pickup after engaging with a combo block with the RT. Might be better for him to be a T where he can focus on one guy.
  • Summers - I really hope we have enough ST guys to let him go. Hate to be so negative, but he has been horrible at MLB for years.
  • Wyatt had a couple flashes of breaking through the line, but the play seemed to be run away from him each time... Dude has some speed!

Thoughts on ST's and thoughts on Love:

IMO, we would be better off having O'Donnell punting toward the sidelines or out of bounds so they cannot return as easy. Do the same thing with Crosby on kickoffs. He is pretty accurate at placing kickoffs in certain spots and even if it goes out of bounds it is not like our ST's would not allow a return to the 40-yard line anyway. We need to be strategic in how we approach games on ST's and at least help the defense. I am not sure how this gets fixed. It may not be the coaching it may be the depth issues like some of you have mentioned on here.

Love has improved to a certain degree. He looks more comfortable in the pocket, makes quicker decisions, and has been more accurate at times. The problem that I have with him is he is not consistent. He has drive's that he looks really good and then he has drive's that he looks terrible. He has very accurate throws and then he has very inaccurate throws. Consistency is a starting QB in the NFL. Inconsistency is a back QB in the NFL. That is why I see Love as a back up only. Can he win us a few games if AR goes down? Sure. But can he win consistently? No, I do not believe he can.
This is just my humble opinion of course. Some of you may not agree with me and think we have not seen a big enough sample size of Love to know. I just think when a QB is in his 3rd year of play in the NFL, you should see a huge jump if he is a possible starter. Love has gotten better but has never made that huge leap.

IMO, we would be better off having O'Donnell punting toward the sidelines or out of bounds so they cannot return as easy. Do the same thing with Crosby on kickoffs. He is pretty accurate at placing kickoffs in certain spots and even if it goes out of bounds it is not like our ST's would not allow a return to the 40-yard line anyway. We need to be strategic in how we approach games on ST's and at least help the defense. I am not sure how this gets fixed. It may not be the coaching it may be the depth issues like some of you have mentioned on here.

Love has improved to a certain degree. He looks more comfortable in the pocket, makes quicker decisions, and has been more accurate at times. The problem that I have with him is he is not consistent. He has drive's that he looks really good and then he has drive's that he looks terrible. He has very accurate throws and then he has very inaccurate throws. Consistency is a starting QB in the NFL. Inconsistency is a back QB in the NFL. That is why I see Love as a back up only. Can he win us a few games if AR goes down? Sure. But can he win consistently? No, I do not believe he can.
This is just my humble opinion of course. Some of you may not agree with me and think we have not seen a big enough sample size of Love to know. I just think when a QB is in his 3rd year of play in the NFL, you should see a huge jump if he is a possible starter. Love has gotten better but has never made that huge leap.
Love has also been playing with below average WR's all pre-season these rookies have flashed but also looked really bad with lots of drops and bad route running.

Consistency comes with reps and the lost season due to Covid gives him a bit of a mulligan. Think back, #12 looked like hell 2-3 years in and was not consistent. Don’t get me wrong, Love is not Rodgers but his footwork, progressions and arm showed out. To me he made a big leap

My observations:

• Love: Interesting contrast from last game. Much better on short passes, but consistently overthrew deep passes. At least a couple was difficult to know if the WR didn't cut/drive as expected or not. Not worried about the INT as I'm guessing it was a WR issue - but even if not, it was a shot at the end of the half that wasn't a horrible chance.
  • Etling: Showed enough to clearly be an NFL QB backup. Reminds me of Case Keenum.
  • Carpenter: Had some gaffs in coverage, but looked good on ST. I wouldn't be shocked to see him on the roster...dude is fast.
  • Amari Rodgers - aka Ty Montgomery? Interesting usage of him as a RB.
  • WRs: Certainly have some interesting depth. Hopefully Lazard, Cobb, or Watkins (maybe Doubs?) can provide starting level WR quality...but we certainly have several upside #3/#4 types in Winfree, Toure, and Rodgers. Winfree is the most ready, but the lowest upside (i.e. athleticism). Hyman made some really nice grabs.
  • Backup OLBs - ugh... Engabare will make the team as a draft pick (and flashed some upside in pass rush). But most of the rest have been here multiple years without any real growth. Hopefully we pickup someone during cuts or via a trade.
  • Newman still has issues with being aware to things around him when engaged in 2x blocking. He had issues with stunts before...still had issues with blitz pickup after engaging with a combo block with the RT. Might be better for him to be a T where he can focus on one guy.
  • Summers - I really hope we have enough ST guys to let him go. Hate to be so negative, but he has been horrible at MLB for years.
  • Wyatt had a couple flashes of breaking through the line, but the play seemed to be run away from him each time... Dude has some speed!
McDuffie over Summers imo

Needs to work on his float throws imo. Seems better when he can put it on a line. He'll get there.

Back