Official 2023 Training Camp Thread

McGough (6-foot-3 3/8 and 214 pounds) was a seventh-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks after a record-setting career at Florida International in which he ranks first with 65 touchdown passes and second with 9,084 passing yards.

He threw for 476 yards and three touchdowns with an 87.8 passer rating for Seattle in the 2018 preseason, 60 yards and zero touchdowns with a 31.9 passer rating for Jacksonville in the 2019 preseason and 145 yards and one touchdown with a 61.0 passer rating for Seattle in the 2021 preseason. (There was no preseason in 2020 due to COVID.)

McGough was waived prior to the 2021 season and found his way into the USFL. McGough was drafted sixth overall by the Birmingham Stallions, where he teamed up with former Packers tight end Jace Sternberger.

McGough opened the season as a backup but got his shot when starter J’Mar Smith suffered a dislocated ring finger in the first game. In 10 games, McGough wound up leading the league in touchdown passes (20) and passer rating (108.3), finished third with 2,104 passing yards and sixth with 403 rushing yards. He added five rushing touchdowns, showcasing some of his athletic ability. The 25 total touchdowns set a league record.

McGough took his game to another level in the postseason, accounting for nine total touchdowns and completing nearly 70 percent of his passes to help lead the Stallions to the league’s championship.

“It’s been crazy. From starting as a freshman at college to getting cut and getting cut again,” McGough said before this year’s USFL Championship Game. “To being here and being hurt, not playing, then coming to the championship.”

McGough is well worth bringing to camp. The Packers need to find the best back up they can, with the cap room they have.

He's not expensive, and you just never know. He could end up being on the sideline. He did show he has chops during the summer games.

I think Love has really good tools apart from accuracy, so if he can improve that a bit he should be really good. I lean toward about seven wins next year though not so much on Love not being good but that the WR group isn't particularly talented and the TEs probably won't contribute much this year. And I'm tired of being optimistic about the performance of the defense. Hoping they exceed my expectations. gopackgo

I think Love has really good tools apart from accuracy, so if he can improve that a bit he should be really good. I lean toward about seven wins next year though not so much on Love not being good but that the WR group isn't particularly talented and the TEs probably won't contribute much this year. And I'm tired of being optimistic about the performance of the defense. Hoping they exceed my expectations. gopackgo
If they don't catch the injury bug and get key guys back like Gary and Stokes at a reasonable time during the year, their schedule alone is going to have them competing for a playoff spot. If Love plays well winning the division is a definite possibility. Even if he plays poorly early on but shows signs of improvement with playing experience, I think they're good enough to muddle through a 6-8 win season and set themselves up for a big offseason with the cap relief that's coming.

I'm looking forward to this season more than previous years - and it's not because Rodgers is gone...they've now got a young team that also still has a lot of veteran talent at key positions.

Crazy to think how young this team is. Only 2 players with 10 or more seasons on the roster and that's Bak with 11 and O'Donnell with 10. Almost half the 90 man TC roster are either rookies or 1st year players.

Last edited:
Back