Official 2021 Packers Training Camp Thread

Packers placed Redmond on season-long injured reserve... ML was bragging on his ST skills ? I am getting really worried about this staff lately.
ST is a joke if Packers are above 20th ranked it will shock me

Packers placed Redmond on season-long injured reserve... ML was bragging on his ST skills ? I am getting really worried about this staff lately.
It's like listening to a used car salesman trying to convince you that the jalopy on his lot that is held together with baling wire and duct tape is actually a great little runner, and was only driven by a little old lady back and forth to Church on Sundays.

It's like listening to a used car salesman trying to convince you that the jalopy on his lot that is held together with baling wire and duct tape is actually a great little runner, and was only driven by a little old lady back and forth to Church on Sundays.
Isn’t that usually what they drive? sneaky:

I'm worried Murphy is turning into Dan Snyder Jr and micro managing the shot out of ML and his staff. Even if ML has to say it there is no way he believes this ST is solid.

I'm worried Murphy is turning into Dan Snyder Jr and micro managing the shot out of ML and his staff. Even if ML has to say it there is no way he believes this ST is solid.
I don't think Murphy is putting any say into picking players that is on Gute and It's Gute's failure he is not getting good scouts to find talent.

IMO, there is no way I'll put what ML has to say about Redmond or special teams on Murphy. ML does not seem like a patsy. Only a patsy would let someone like Murphy tell him what to say about something a trivial as Will Redmond. Murphy is a meddler, but is getting blamed for too much day-to-day mundane stuff. Gute and ML own that stuff or they're both spineless wimps and need to be fired.

ML is just doing "coach speak". Guy is going to IR . . . you don't talk about how you won't miss him and his work on special teams. You talk positively about the guy. It's what the team needs and wants to hear whether you believe it or not. Right now, their special teams are bad and I think ML knows they're bad but you don't throw those coaches and players under the bus just as the season is starting.

The problem with the Packers, and it goes back to TT, is that they just don't value special teams enough. They don't draft for it, though they seemed to a bit more in the 2021 draft. They don't pick up lower level free agents for their special teams skills, which might be a pro-personnel scouting problem. They don't value it enough when the time comes to make cuts. The WR cuts will be telling. If they keep Funchess over Taylor, they just don't give a damn about special teams.

It's possible that Redmond was one of their best ST players, and also that their ST are crappy. Both things can be true, it's a low bar for this group.

It's possible that Redmond was one of their best ST players, and also that their ST are crappy. Both things can be true, it's a low bar for this group.
Completely agree. Redmond was a solid contributor on special teams, but those units were mostly crappy.

Completely agree. Redmond was a solid contributor on special teams, but those units were mostly crappy.
Even if he wasn't solid by league standards he may have been solid compared to the rest of what GB puts out there.

Anyway ST is why they kept him around for a couple years, and Pettine seemed to like him, and those guys have a short shelf life so he's probably outlived his useful life on the roster. There's another S in camp - Uphoff I think? - who has bulldozed a couple double teams on punt coverage like prime Jeff Janis, so bring on the new blood and opportunities.

The Green Bay Packers have signed DL Abdullah Anderson and CB Stephen Denmark, placed WR Devin Funchess on injured reserve, and released WR Chris Blair. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transactions Wednesday.

Back