Official 2016 Packer OTA Thread

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
It's that time again... Let's talk Packer OTA. Any expectations for these handful of practices before camp ? Concerns ? Post them here !gopackgo

OTA'S mean little to me. Pretty much vets check in and team gets to see what shape they are in and get to work more with the rookies. TC is were real work starts. Heck in OTA'S I don't think you are allowed to even work in pads at all.

Only thing I am interested in during OTA is to see how much if any work Nelson and Montgomery put in.

I'm with GBP, curious about the injured guys and whether they look recovered. A little curious about Lacy.

In a general sense about the only thing it seems like you can get from these is whether rookie WRs can run routes and catch the ball and if rookie CBs can cover. Without contact, the rest of the player's skills are much harder to assess.

I concur with both of you.

57, I am not even sure you can see anything from WR's and corners. Remember they are not wearing pads yet and there is really no contact. Until that happens, it means nothing to me.

Probably not, but those are the only positions where the players can kind of do things that resemble actual play without tackling and blocking being involved. Everyone else can only be evaluated by blocking, tackling or breaking tackles.

There is not enough bubble wrap in the state of Wisconsin to sufficiently cover the starting 22 until camp.

Main concerns include last year's fitness and injuries and Masthay's shanks and poor hang time. So watch:
(1) Level of participation from the injured and fitness level of players. In particular: Nelson (knee), Montgomery (ankle), Barrington (foot), Bakhtiari (ankle), Lang (shoulder), Lacy (weight issues), and Goode (knee) who is still a UFA.
(2) Mortell, the Minnesota punter from Notre Dame Academy in Green Bay whose father and grandfather were Lambeau Field clock operators for decades!

usa-today-8935542.0.jpg

As the Packers promised, Clay Matthews has returned to his best position for the start of team OTAs.

Though the Green Bay Packers repeatedly expressed their desire to return Clay Matthews to the edge after spending the previous season and change off the ball, the team's decision not to procure an inside linebacker in free agency or early in the draft led some to believe the All-Pro might have to continue playing away from his best position. Tuesday's open practice put to bed some of those concerns, as Matthews worked at outside linebacker throughout the session.

The Packers first moved Matthews to inside linebacker when injuries and poor play forced their hand midway though the 2014 season. The team decided to continue the experiment into 2015, with Matthews growing into his new role while seeing his pass rush production dip. With Julius Peppers perhaps entering his final NFL season and Nick Perry, Datone Jones and Jayrone Elliott yet to prove they can handle a full-time role, moving Matthews back to the edge seems a necessity in order for the defense to maintain its gains from last season.

With Matthews expected to spend most of his time at outside linebacker, Green Bay must make do with the newly healthy Sam Barrington, second-year man Jake Ryan and fourth-round rookie Blake Martinez.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

Main concerns include last year's fitness and injuries and Masthay's shanks and poor hang time. So watch:
(1) Level of participation from the injured and fitness level of players. In particular: Nelson (knee), Montgomery (ankle), Barrington (foot), Bakhtiari (ankle), Lang (shoulder), Lacy (weight issues), and Goode (knee) who is still a UFA.
(2) Mortell, the Minnesota punter from Notre Dame Academy in Green Bay whose father and grandfather were Lambeau Field clock operators for decades!

I agree with oakleaf. the above is really the only things out of OTA I care about.

and this is pretty much in line with what many thought.. Kuhn only comes back due to injury..
On John Kuhn’s status with Packers: Player acquisition is year-round, so I would never say doors are closed on any of our players, especially with John Kuhn. I think we’re still focused on the players we have right now. As far as John and his future, those are probably questions for other people.

OK, question for all those knowledgable football guys. I'd like to think I know a fair amount, though I never played organized football.. But the following from MM is interesting:

On Datone Jones at OLB: Datone Jones playing the elephant, I think it’s a position that reflects the way you have to use him. It’s an ability to play a 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 technique. Datone was very productive with his opportunities last year. He’s kind of found his niche here. I think it’s the right position for him.

someone care to explain exactly the difference between 5 and 9 technique?

Back