Official 2016 Green Bay vs Oakland Pre Season Game Thread

Agreed with the comments.

What does everyone think of Kentrell Brice, the safety? I like this kid. He tackles well and hits hard. Played pretty well in both preseason games so far.

Defensive line is playing better. Nobody that I see is really standing out. I agree with the pass rush. It has really been non-existent so far this preseason. Clark has gotten some good push at times as well as Lowry. They definitely need more reps to get used to the NFL offensive lineman and how they use their hands. (It's all pad level. hof() I thought Guion played better last night too.

WR's have been tough to gage. I like Allison and hope they can stash him on the practice squad. Davis had a good punt return last night. I like his speed but need to learn how to polish his route running, IMO.

The OL especially the first team look very good last night again. Let's hope we can stay healthy.

If you have the NFLN they are showing the Oakland game again today at 1 PM EDT.

A lot positive from this one...

Outside of Spriggs having to deal with Mack, and essentially allowing our backup QB to get rolled up on (though it was a dirty late low hit - the likes of which we were called for last week), we handled their starting defense (which played for a ridiculous 2 full quarters) with our 1.5th string and our 2nd string held their own until Hundley came out. He looked like the same guy. I definitely like having confidence in my backup QB. Hopefully the ankle injury is not serious. I don't think that we have a good enough guy to keep another guy on the roster at QB.

Cook looked good. He even caked someone on a run play. Ripkowski looked good. He caught the ball decently out of the backfield. He also washed Ben Heeney out of the hole on long runs by Lacy and Starks. I like him a lot. Mostly because he actually does the things I value at fullback... like being able to lead block. Watching nothing but Callahan and Williams makes me sad because I want to see flashes from wide receivers 6 through 9. Allison had a solid slant, but really not much is getting done deep in the defensive backfield. Callahan was not calm in the pocket, and was not making throws down the field. There were a couple of plays in there where Burks just absolutely whiffed on his pass block pickup. We were trying to chip Mack, and he would just airball it. I like how he runs, but if he pass blocks like that regularly there is no way he makes the team. I definitely like how he runs more than Crockett. Crockett got some solid lead blocking on screens, and wasn't able to get the speed going that would propel him into the secondary. I hate watching guys get run down from behind on screens -- especially when the blocking is good. His touchdown was a good piece of power running, and some great blocking from Ty Montgomery to flatten the safety.

Defensively our secondary looked great. Randle made a play on Amari Cooper that made Cooper look like a low awareness player. Rollins continues to look like a player too. Martinez plays like how I wish AJ Hawk would have played. Brice also pops off the screen. He breaks on plays like Nick Collins. If he could develop the ball skills, he could be something special. The 1.5 string and 2nd string, and some of the 3rd string came out and played the Raiders starting offense into doing nothing. The fact that maybe the highest paid O-line in the league couldn't move the ball on our backups was telling for both teams. I don't even think they get a field goal if Datone Jones doesn't pick up a stupid personal foul.

On special teams, I think that Mortell played himself into consideration tonight. He got a good bounce on one of his kicks, but it wasn't a bad kick going into the bounce. Masthay definitely has him in hangtime, but Mortell played well.

Really the only gaffe tonight was on LaDarius Gunter. He let a guy directly at our punter.

Just some random thoughts:

It was funny seeing Spriggs getting school by Mack. He almost seemed to have a WTH look on his face a couple of times.

Great to see Lacy running hard but sorry to see Hundley get hurt again. He was really on a roll.

I thought that Martinez did a pretty good job. Several times I saw him tackling well or chasing someone down.

Bradford sure has picked up his game. To be perfectly honest I had just about given up on him.

Davis did a good job with that punt that was bouncing and I think he picked up quite a few yards.

Love the punting competition. Don't know if Mortel will make the team but I think he is punting well. Much more competition than the kid they brought in last year.

Finally it was great to see Nelson dressed out even if he didn't play. I sure hope he can adjust to playing again and have confidence in his knees. Wondering if he has lost a step or not.

A lot positive from this one...

I definitely like how he runs more than Crockett. Crockett got some solid lead blocking on screens, and wasn't able to get the speed going that would propel him into the secondary. I hate watching guys get run down from behind on screens -- especially when the blocking is good. His touchdown was a good piece of power running, and some great blocking from Ty Montgomery to flatten the safety.

There was one time when Crockett ran and when he came off the field MM was really hot. Didn't see what he was P O'd about.?

Mack gives seasoned veterans a handful. I'm sure Spriggs learned a lot Thursday night.

Word on Hundley's ankle is that the injury is not as serious as his last one.

Back