Offensive Juggernaut

ChampionshipBelt

Reaction score
So for those of us that think the Packers were an offensive juggernaut last season, you may need to rethink that.

I went back and rewatched the Patriots game at Lambeau last year, one of our best games of the year. This is what I saw:

1) Rodgers inaccurate at times but very accurate 90% of the time
2) Rodgers was able to get out of the pocket consistently and make throws on the run as well pick up first downs with his feet
3) Offensive line gave Rodgers tons of time. He was sacked twice but no fault of the o-line. AR held on to the ball for over 5 seconds.
4) Commitment to the run- MM ran the ball consistently with Lacy even when we were not gaining yardage.
5) WRs still could not get separation- With all the time AR had the receivers could still not get open. Even with Nelson. AR had 10 seconds with no one close to him and every WR was covered like a blanket.
6) Barrington- He was really good against the run and covered well. We need him back next year.
7) Offense still consistently had delay of games and uses TOs before the snap- Nothing changed in this area either. The offense had better rhythm; however, still had issues with getting the plays in and off on time.

In summary, I don't think much will change next year unless AR plays at a very high level again and this o-line blocks like it did last year without injuries. These receivers are just not that good. Still ran lazy routes and rounded off cuts. I don't think a WR coach will make that much of a difference. Nelson will help but not unless AR has tons of time and is very accurate.

Now, this is only one game from last year but I think it is telling. Some of us have said this year was the perfect storm. I say this has always been but because AR had so much time and could make plays with his feet our offense masked these issues even last year.

We need to get Montgomery healthy, get Nelson back, and then draft at least two WRs with speed. If we don't, I see the same issues next year.

Nice thoughts and an excellent post. To me, continuity in the offensive line is vital for success.

I get where you're going with this, but you cherry picked the game they played against the team that won the Super Bowl as an example of offensive struggle or inconsistency. Of course the O is going to look worse because the opposing D was very very good in that game. But they still won! That's how good the O was last year. Jordy Nelson was blanketed by possible HOFer Darrell Revis - and beat him for a TD. Are we dinging him for getting covered most of the time by Revis, just like everyone else who ever played against Revis? Juggernaut is a loaded word, but was being the #1 scoring offense in the league not enough for you?

Nice post CBelt. I'm on the other side of the WR coach issue. Adams, Abby and Janis all need more specific coaching. JJ could use someone lighting a fire under his butt. It's funny that Monty is such a favorite, because he didn't do very much. Actually, he has flashed less than Adams in his rookie year. Maybe being hurt is the safest place to be for our WR corp.

Im for adding 1 wr but 2 is a little much. With Nelson back our WR group is not bad. Get Monty back and stay healthy and we are fine. If you want change I would look at a new WR coach and work on the stale scheme we have been running. Its bad when the D (minny game) knows the routes before they are run. We need to add some "man beater" type routes to free guys up.

Nice post CBelt. I'm on the other side of the WR coach issue. Adams, Abby and Janis all need more specific coaching. JJ could use someone lighting a fire under his butt. It's funny that Monty is such a favorite, because he didn't do very much. Actually, he has flashed less than Adams in his rookie year. Maybe being hurt is the safest place to be for our WR corp.

JJ is immune to having a fire lit under his butt. That's the reason brass never offered him anything more than small short term deals to stay. Drove coaches nuts with up and down effort.

As for Monty, maybe he had fewer big plays than Adams as a rookie but equaled his TD production in half as many games. Biggest thing for me is, MM is using Cobb out of the backfield and having success, but if healthy Monty would IMO really excel in that role because he's quick in small spaces but just bigger and more physical than Cobb. Plus that would leave Cobb as a WR, giving the O another option there.

RP, we saw WRs not getting open for long stretches last year in a lot of games as well. (Just like this year)
Is it the receivers or is it the crappy offensive routes and schemes by MM. Probably a combo.
We need better WRs, IMO.

Back