NOT just because of his name.....

Watt could be an asset in the Packers scheme. He played in the 3-4, at Wisconsin. He already knows what it takes as far as responsibilities, and regardless of what some people want to believe, this kid can play defense with the best of them. He also has something that's intangible. He has the same heart for the game as both his brothers, and more than one coach at Wisconsin thinks he may be just as good as JJ when he totally learns how to play linebacker. He's only done it for two years.

I he was available when we pick in round #1, I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat. I just don't believe he'll be there, to be honest. I see him going a lot higher than most people think. GMs are starting to get the message that you go with the guys who give 100% on every play, not those that plan below their capability. This draft has a lot of guys who fit that mold. They only played as hard as they had to, on given days.

Based on the Matthews pick, I see the similarities between them. Both have constantly running motors, and both of them make things happen on the field. If he's there, and we pass on him, it's going to come back to haunt us. Mistakes like that often do.

My vote is to draft the kid! Get him in Packer green and gold.

I already made my case for drafting Watt in my TJ Watt thread. If he's there they need to grab him.

TJ's stats last year were as good or better than JJ's stats his last year at Wisconsin. I'd have no problem with him getting drafted in the 1st round by Green Bay. He definitely has earned first round consideration.

Compare TJ's combine numbers to CMIII. TJ is a few lbs heavier, an inch taller, ran nearly the same 40 time, benched 2 less reps than clay and was a top performer in 5 of 7 categories. He has all the tangibles and the heart you want out of a pass rusher.

TJ Watt Combine

CMIII Combine

I think the bottom line is laid out in the article - picking at 29, you're not getting first round talent. If you're going to pick there then you're going to get someone with a early/mid second round grade. If you insist upon value then trade down.

Likely we will see Ted do normal Ted and go and draft a player that was on no one list to prove he is the smartest guy in the room.

In truth GBP, TT doesn't really take unknowns in Rd 1. It's the later rounds that sometimes leave me scratching my head.
AR was a head scratcher but I think we'll all agree that was a known option. Hawk, Raji, Bulaga, CM3, Sherrod, Perry, Jones, HHCD, and Clark were all guys the media was talking about as guys who fit those spots. The only huge surprise was Harrell, and Randall wasn't exactly the most known guy. Only one or two of those picks were the out-of-left-field, smart-than-everyone-else types.

The ones that bug me are the Marviel Underwood, Alan Barbre, Quinten Rollins, Khyri Thornton, Cory Rodgers, Jerron McMillan picks where it seemed like he was reaching or taking guys that didn't seem like good fits, thinking he was smarter than everyone else. A couple of those kinds of picks worked out. Guys like James Jones, JC Tretter (sorta), and David Bahktiari who I don't think anyone ever talked about as Packers turned out pretty good, but a lot of them didn't.

In truth GBP, TT doesn't really take unknowns in Rd 1. It's the later rounds that sometimes leave me scratching my head.
AR was a head scratcher but I think we'll all agree that was a known option. Hawk, Raji, Bulaga, CM3, Sherrod, Perry, Jones, HHCD, and Clark were all guys the media was talking about as guys who fit those spots. The only huge surprise was Harrell, and Randall wasn't exactly the most known guy. Only one or two of those picks were the out-of-left-field, smart-than-everyone-else types.

The ones that bug me are the Marviel Underwood, Alan Barbre, Quinten Rollins, Khyri Thornton, Cory Rodgers, Jerron McMillan picks where it seemed like he was reaching or taking guys that didn't seem like good fits, thinking he was smarter than everyone else. A couple of those kinds of picks worked out. Guys like James Jones, JC Tretter (sorta), and David Bahktiari who I don't think anyone ever talked about as Packers turned out pretty good, but a lot of them didn't.

While I agree about those later picks, every GM in football has those types of picks. There is no sure fire formula to weed out the crap. The athletic talent can be there but there also has to be a brain and a motor and that is why I think Watt would be a good pick. The kid has the motor and the athleticism and obviously has football smarts to be able to switch positions and make the impact he did.

I guess that's true and it's just because I don't follow other team's draft very closely that the TT picks stick out. Still, those picks are just frustrating. These guys you see on websites as 5 or 6th Rd picks and TT takes them in Rd 3. I know it's about "his board", but to minor league draftniks like me they still get an aaaargh!.

.... Still, those picks are just frustrating. These guys you see on websites as 5 or 6th Rd picks and TT takes them in Rd 3. I know it's about "his board", but to minor league draftniks like me they still get an aaaargh!.

it all depends on which websites you're looking at. i recently posted my first mock draft of the season here. and what i found when looking at several well-known draft sites is that some of the guys that i picked in the middle rounds were as high as the first round on some sites and as low as the sixth round on others. if these guys can't be any more consistent than that, i'm pretty sure you'll find similar disagreement among the gms of the league.

Guys are all over the board based on how coaches envision them fitting into their particular system, how they liked them during interviews, and what they find out about them, in their background research. Then there's another thing that comes into play. People around the NFL will play up a guy they don't want, and down play guys they do want, hoping that other teams will bite on the hype they generate. They all seem to think they have the upper hand on this one.

In the end, about half the first round picks won't be worth where they were taken, and there will be guys all the way down the line who should have been taken earlier, or in some cases, not even picked in any round. We will - of course - look at the whole thing and say; "See? I told you that guy was a bum!"

What we need to do is insure we don't look at things through rose-colored-glasses. We need to see these guys as what they are. Raw talent, and "possibly" someone who can make an impact on the field.

I always go back to Raymond Berry, who is in the HOF. He was a mystifying man. Why the Colts drafted him, nobody knew. He only caught 33 passes at SMU during his entire career. What the Colts actually saw was a guy who worked hard to be as good as he was, because he wasn't fast. They heard how he spent endless hours catching passes, finding anyone he could, to throw them. He worked on his routes, and perfected them. They saw that, in his college days, and drafted him. He carried that effort, and that ethic over to the NFL with the Colts.

Raymond, himself, commented that he'd developed 88 specific moves that he used to break clear of defenders. 88! Think about that, and the time it took to develop them.

In a few days, we're going to find out how many players can be counted on to have that kind of dedication. If you can find one, or two, and in a great year, 3, your draft was a success. After all, even Bart Starr was the 200th pick in his draft. What he did after that, is just like Berry. They showed everyone, they belonged out there, with the best of them.

Back