NFL tells NFLPA have players interview or else

Harrison would be an idiot to have his interview broadcast. Sets a horrible precident for player confidentially
We've been told these interviews 'won't' set a precedent. If it's the players choice? Transparency removes doubt.
Harrison has been very adamant about Goodell, he's crooked!
Both the NFL and NFLPA could do with a little more transparency!

First of all, there should always be someone transcribing these things, treat it like a deposition. I'm shocked it's apparently not standard practice.

Second, is there a bigger sign of the lack of trust between these two sides than this? MLB and their players take care of it quickly and quietly. The players there are suing Al-Jazeera, as they should, the league does a cursory review, as they should, and everyone moves on. With the NFL and PA the damn location and physical set up of an interview is the subject of public trash talk and sniping. How will they get another CBA done?

MLBPA has had a very good relationship with the league. There are many reasons for that. No salary cap, local revenue drives profitability a 2 keys. And after the steroid era both sides needed more transparecy because of public perception.

Thing is with Goodell prior to 2011 and new CBA he was fair. Vick, Rothlsberger, Pacman Jones. NFLPA did not have as many issuesv Not sure what changed. Pressure from owners?
Then in some way, the owners are also doing this to themselves. Calling for harder punishment ultimately hurts the product they put out on the field.

I'm not sure how I feel on the subject but what I don't like, is the idea that the commisoner or police can invade your life over recanted or false statements only to hope that they can trip you up on other improprities. Its a very thin line between doing what's right and legal and having unabashed power to wreck someone's life.

Then in some way, the owners are also doing this to themselves. Calling for harder punishment ultimately hurts the product they put out on the field.

I'm not sure how I feel on the subject but what I don't like, is the idea that the commisoner or police can invade your life over recanted or false statements only to hope that they can trip you up on other improprities. Its a very thin line between doing what's right and legal and having unabashed power to wreck someone's life.

It's like any investigatioYou were have no idea what they have for evidence or not have. If in the investigation of Manning new info popped up you follow the trail.

I have no idea why people would believe that the league wound intentionally inflict wounds on itself to suspend players. I've seen the league do everything it can to protect players, and saw them get egg on their face repeatedly because they have, for all kinds of reasons. Ray Rice is a prime example. There are others, year after year.

Yet, when it comes to the question of illegal drugs, and they are trying to do their due diligence through an extensive investigation to arrive at the truth, people get ticked off, accusing them of attacking the players, and weakening the product on the field.

I understand the frustrations we all have as fans. But, I do not think for a heartbeat that removing someone from the field for cheating, either through drugs, or a physical act on the field, weakens the game. I believe it strengthens the league. I don't want to see it evolve into what baseball has - A joke! Who's the home run king? To me, career, Hank Aaron. Don't throw any darned muscle bound steroid freaks in front of me as great players when the commish even introduced juiced baseballs for these freaks to hit. Don't tell me Maris' 61 isn't the real record for 162 games, or Ruth's 60 for 154 games isn't the record. I'll tell you you're supporting someone who cheats to win.

Someone is going to have to prove to me that the commissioner is going after these guys to show he's tougher than he is, and that he has God-like power. Every time they have to take action against a player it shows lack of control over the league, not a power hungry guy wanting to prove his prowess. It starts with the teams being unwilling to face the issues on their own level, and dealing with the problems. The owners prefer passing it all up to the front office of football to be the "bad guys." Meanwhile, in the front office of each franchise, they're saying; "We support XXX XXXX. We always support our players in their time of need."

The real problem is self discipline. Players don't think they really have to follow the rules. Often, they believe they're above the law. Darren Sharper. Remember him? There were allegations way back to when he was a Packer. Fans said; "Not him! He's an upstanding family man." Not to be critical, but as fans, our supporting him hurt the Packers, their image, and quite honestly the league.

As an ex-cop, I remember listening to judges give drug addicts diversion programs to cure them. But not once did I hear a judge say that he wanted to know where the drug addict got the $1,000 a day to support that habit, when they weren't working, and their family had booted them out. Kind of obvious isn't it? The guy was a thief!

Who paid for it? You did. I was told once, by someone in a major big box change that up to 20 cents out of every dollar you spend in their store is to cover their losses in shoplifting, employee theft, and the cost of security to avoid it as much as possible.

I think we pay for it in the NFL too. A weakened product due to players having to sit out for suspensions. Maybe the suspensions should be tougher, and fines far exceeding the 1/16 of a year's salary bit. Maybe it should cost them so dearly that they find out what it is to live on what us mortal people call "making a living." As fans, instead of supporting players who break the rules, let's hold them accountable, and expect them to live within them. That's not going to happen until we refuse to accept their feeling they are above the rules and law.

Just a couple of thoughts... and a rant!

Great thoughts TW. You bring a unique perspective and I enjoy your insight. This is definitely a high octane topic where some days I say, as other have said, "If they're clean, then talk and get it over with"..,.and then other days I wonder if all allegations made against any player will be investigated or is it subjective based on whatever the commish wants to do. I don't know why, but I have a bad feeling about all of this. I hope those players prove me wrong.

Reactions: TW
Thanks Budman. There are some good posters out here. It makes it easy to join in.

Thanks Budman. There are some good posters out here. It makes it easy to join in.
That's exactly why I love this place. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as you and other posters. I pretty much lurk and learn from the conversations which can be in depth. This thread is a prime example and I love reading different perspectives because it broadens my perspective. Can't wait to hear more from you throughout the season.

No doubt the best overall forum. I post to many, lurk at some, but most have a major flaw that makes them less appealing. Sometimes I think too many of you have jobs, because there isn't much activity during the day, but even that's a plus for me, as I dislike seeing posts at the other places from folks who are obviously being paid to do something else at the time. Rant over, but for any newbies or lurkers, this is the place to be.

Back