MM Presser 10-12-16

Sometimes a coach has to realize that a big part of his job is to talk to the media so they can write articles about the Packers, and that's a big part of what fills the stands each week, and creates a fan base.

Act like an ass towards the media - for any reason - and you reduce the salability of your product.

Above all, act like you've been there before, and that those people, even if their questions are inane, are part of the system that pays you millions of dollars. Don't look down on them like they were dog crap.

Green Bay lives and dies on the connection with their fans, and that comes through the media.

TW - While there is truth in what you are saying, MM has always been a little salty when he or the team is questioned. Belicheck has been even worse and it hasn't hurt him. I don't expect much from the press conferences so I don't come away disappointed.

Reactions: TW
I think his demeanor has changed considerably to be honest. But, I understand why he's become defensive. There was a time that all questions, and all comments by fans, was supportive of the team. Fan impatience has changed that. He's taken on a defensive posture. Belichick gets away with it because he puts Lombardi Trophies on the shelf as well as winning seasons. It's like the music business. Some people have a lot of hits, and there are one-hit wonders. McCarthy is beginning to look more like a one-hit wonder to the fans, and media. Belichick has 6 rings. Two as Giants defensive coordinator, and four with the Patriots. You get a lot of leeway with that kind of results.

Belichick has 6 rings. Two as Giants defensive coordinator, and four with the Patriots. You get a lot of leeway with that kind of results

People in Boston are a bit different, too. They don't seem to get as put off by that kind of attitude. Plus, Belichick doesn't repeatedly bash his head against the wall when something's not working.

Also helps that something like 5-8% of the TV's in the country are in the Pats' home market.

I don't know. MM has always been kind of testy with the media. Neither him or Ted are great at dealing with the press, and Ted actually makes MM look like the most charming man in the world by comparison. I remember during the whole Favre "retirement", one of the media members asking Mike something like, "are you being asked to go along with this(getting rid of Favre), is this your call?". His response was, "The only thing they make me do here that I don't like is talk to you". It was a sick burn, but uncalled for, and highlights his total lack of tact/charisma with the press.

However, I definitely notice a change with the media lately. They are getting more aggressive with him, as there's starting to be more chinks in the Packers armor(scheme, lack of postseason success, and trouble finishing games). They are also getting more aggressive with Ted, which is why I think he skipped out on the final cuts press conference(only GM in the entire NFL not to have a PC, unacceptable IMO).

Bottom line, if we continue to see these things all year, and the Packers go one and done again(which I suspect), you're going to see him continue to get testier and testier with the press. I don't think he'll go Jim Mora or Dennis Green on them, but he'll continue to get snarkier for sure. I agree with the earlier comment that coaches that usually start to battle with the press are coaches that are on the way out. I agree that MMs days are numbered. I'm betting he doesn't last more than 2-3 more seasons max.

Fans support teams. They support them because of how well they play, and how supportive the media about the team supports them. The media gives coaches that cooperate with them a wider amount of room to show emotions, and respectful coverage. When the coach begins to disrespect them, and it shows, the media turns on them and becomes their critique instead of supporter. McCarthy is heading into those waters, and the only thing that will change that is a Lombardi Trophy. He's spent his coins from already having won one.

Over the years, I've watched many coaches, in so many sports, go from media favorite to media whipping boy because of attitude. It doesn't take long, and when you see beat reporters whose job is to cover your specific team are insulted, the party starts. We've seen that happen with just about all the major beat reporters within the prime Packer reporting area. They don't forget.

Even if the questions don't seem important to the coach, and are actually inane, the reporter is asking the question strictly to get a little different perspective on an issue. Answer it. Even if your answer is ambiguous. But above all, don't bite the hand that feeds you because good press is what you need to keep your job.

Bellichick besides having the rings and success to back him up, also makes personal decisions. His system and approach works there and is proven. His actions back his words and so he can have the attitude he does.

In 10 years here MM & TT have ONE ring and bare in mind that is with both HOF Favre and Rodgers. Damn right press and fans have a right to ask the hard questions and expect answers.

For MM that preaches accountability from his players sure seems to have a double standard when it's required from himself. Many times I don't feel he actually has the answers and is another reason why he gets Defensive.

Personally,don't even pay attention to his joke of pressers and his TV show.

Even if the questions don't seem important to the coach, and are actually inane, the reporter is asking the question strictly to get a little different perspective on an issue. Answer it. Even if your answer is ambiguous. But above all, don't bite the hand that feeds you because good press is what you need to keep your job.

Very good points TW. Also, no matter how inane the question(s), the reporters have a job to do. Part of it is perspective, on the reporters part, and part of it is perspective on the readers part. They have to think about their readership. It's not just simply ok to blow off the reporter by saying, "you don't know what you're talking about", "You don't know the game of football therefore these questions are ridiculous". The reporter is trying to gain insights in order to inform their readership. MM can act any way that he wants. The press will do the same.

For MM that preaches accountability from his players sure seems to have a double standard when it's required from himself. Many times I don't feel he actually has the answers and is another reason why he gets Defensive.

Personally, don't even pay attention to his joke of pressers and his TV show.

2 things.

1. I'm sure his quick response to anyone about his accountability would be something along the lines that he's only accountable to his players and management. The rest of us don't matter.

2. I hate to admit it but I only casually watched the pressers before. Now I watch them because MM seems to turn his sentences upside down and it's rather comical to listen to the bumbling, stumbling, blather that he puts out there. I know that's bad as a lot of people, including myself, have trouble speaking in front of crowds but MM brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "discombobulated sentences".

We've all seen it on the internet. There are sites that don't allow you to make observations, or disagree with the direction of those who administrate the site. Those sites - in my personal opinion - are of no reasonable value to anyone who can think for themselves. The whole idea behind boards like this is to share ideas, and perspectives of issues. It drives thought, and more points of view. It sparks interest in researching information, and sharing it.

What we see McCarthy doing is trying to control the discussion by arbitrarily deciding which questions are important to him, and that he wants to answer. That's not necessarily what people want to do.

You took the job Mike. You know the rules. You must speak to the media, because the league mandates it. If you don't want to do it, step aside, and let someone else have the job who will.

Back