Minnesota's 4-goal second period dooms Badgers in Big Ten championship game

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Badgers paid for a lackluster effort in the second period as the Gophers beat UW for the first time in six championship-round games.

Continue reading...

Bucky laid an egg. All to frequent.

Just when I think I'm back in, a WI team shoves me out

Bucky laid an egg. All to frequent.

Just when I think I'm back in, a WI team shoves me out
Sometimes I wonder what some fans expectations are. Losing one game in the post season is not going to change my perception. On to the NCAA’s

Championships.

Once again a team out of WI got out worked and out hustled in a Championship until it was too late.

It's not the loss.

It was getting beat because the opponent wanted it more - in a Championship Game. Badger players admitted it in post game interviews

Minnesota made a change in the 2nd that Bucky could not see, at least from the ice and the bench.

All to obvious on TV that the defense was collapsing on the puck and leaving the backside skater wide open. I would put the blame on the defensive effort (a theme throughout Granato's tenure), and that Rowe just didn't seem up for the moment. Beydoun's switch in, and an adjustment by Wisconsin, really only gave Minnesota two or three quality chances in the 3rd.

That rally, when Caufield got us within one with 2 minutes to go, was something special though.

Other than the one-period lapse, which got fixed and would hopefully provide a good lesson going forward, I would have to assume that Wisconsin would stay in that next group of teams right outside the top-seeds, depending on how the WCHA shakes out (which still names its tournament trophy after Jeff Sauer, btw).

It's hard to guess how the seeding would shake out, though. North Dakota gets a 1-seed, and hosts the regional site in Fargo. Minnesota State likely gets a 1-seed even if they lose Friday (or Sunday in the WCHA title game). But then do they go to Fargo? Does Minnesota get a 1-seed (I'd say yes)? There's only two spots 'out west' and the short stick likely goes to Albany. Can't imagine BC not ending up in Bridgeport unless UMass wins Friday and gets one over BC in the title game...but then UMass goes to Bridgeport...

Ah, so exciting to have playoff hockey again.

Championships.

Once again a team out of WI got out worked and out hustled in a Championship until it was too late.

It's not the loss.

It was getting beat because the opponent wanted it more - in a Championship Game. Badger players admitted it in post game interviews
If championships is what’s expected for Wisconsin athletics you are in for a long term disappointment sorry to say. Sure in some cases it all comes together but because of a lot of factors it has to be a perfect storm. Hockey, Volleyball might be an exception to the rule.

Minnesota made a change in the 2nd that Bucky could not see, at least from the ice and the bench.

All to obvious on TV that the defense was collapsing on the puck and leaving the backside skater wide open. I would put the blame on the defensive effort (a theme throughout Granato's tenure), and that Rowe just didn't seem up for the moment. Beydoun's switch in, and an adjustment by Wisconsin, really only gave Minnesota two or three quality chances in the 3rd.

That rally, when Caufield got us within one with 2 minutes to go, was something special though.

Other than the one-period lapse, which got fixed and would hopefully provide a good lesson going forward, I would have to assume that Wisconsin would stay in that next group of teams right outside the top-seeds, depending on how the WCHA shakes out (which still names its tournament trophy after Jeff Sauer, btw).

It's hard to guess how the seeding would shake out, though. North Dakota gets a 1-seed, and hosts the regional site in Fargo. Minnesota State likely gets a 1-seed even if they lose Friday (or Sunday in the WCHA title game). But then do they go to Fargo? Does Minnesota get a 1-seed (I'd say yes)? There's only two spots 'out west' and the short stick likely goes to Albany. Can't imagine BC not ending up in Bridgeport unless UMass wins Friday and gets one over BC in the title game...but then UMass goes to Bridgeport...

Ah, so exciting to have playoff hockey again.
I am not a hockey expert, far from it but it seemed like 1 period brain cramp. Seems from your analysis won’t hurt seeding much

I am not a hockey expert, far from it but it seemed like 1 period brain cramp. Seems from your analysis won’t hurt seeding much
The first period wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. I think the defensive lapses were there early, Minnesota caught on and came out in the 2nd ready to capitalize, did, the Badgers adjusted during the next intermission, caught fire, and we were 2" of neck away from tying the game.

Worst case scenario is that Wisconsin gets the 1 or 2 overall seed, but even that isn't terrible b/c that means a game in ND or CO, which are old stomping grounds, and even then are the likely 2 seed in that bracket.

I concede I love my WI sports and have rose, green and gold and appropriately colored glasses on: Badgers, Packers, Marquette, UWM, all the other schools, and yes even the Brewers.

Please understand my expectations. Do I want championships? Yes.

But, what I really want is my team to show up to a Championship Game fired with enthusiasm.

Sorry, brain farting the second in the Big 10 Championship against Minnesota and being outworked by MN for the first 2 periods - to me - isn't cutting it regarding being up for the big game.

I hope they regroup. Yes, Bucky's seed shouldn't be that bad. But remember we are being invited in - anything can happen.

The Hockey Tourney is like being invited into the Sweet 16. No slouches. They better be ready - and he'll not for this old guy. For themselves.

Go Bucky

Back