Mike McCarthy to keep play-calling duties moving forward

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
GettyImages-503031414.0.jpg

Don't expect the Packers' head coach to give up the play sheet again.

Last offseason saw Mike McCarthy hand over the play sheet to one of his top assistants. He reversed course midway through the year, a decision that led many to wonder whether the Green Bay Packers head coach might ever delegate those responsibilities again. When asked about this during his season-ending press conference, McCarthy confirmed that he plans to call the plays for the foreseeable future.

"I'll tell you I will be calling the plays from here on in," McCarthy stated. "How we structure our staff that's really what lies ahead."

The "structure" McCarthy mentioned may refer to a number of things. In addition to handing off play calling last offseason, he made significant changes to the coaching staff. Tom Clements became the associate head coach with Edgar Bennett replacing him as offensive coordinator. Underneath them, McCarthy combined the roles of quarterbacks coach and wide receivers coach into one position. The lack of a dedicated staffer for the wideouts may have contributed to the team's inexplicable decline in the passing game.

Additionally, Clements may require a new role now that Bennett has succeeded him at coordinator and McCarthy plans to retain play-calling duties. The team maintained throughout the transition that Clements still provides input on play selection, but that may not prove enough to keep him as associate head coach. Regardless, McCarthy said he fully anticipates Clements returning for 2016.

The long offseason now begins in Green Bay, and the Packers have plenty of questions to ponder.

[BCOLOR=#FFC20E]Jason B. Hirschhorn covers the Green Bay Packers for Acme Packing Company. He also serves as an NFL writer for SB Nation and Sports on Earth and is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America.
Follow @by_JBH[/BCOLOR]​

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

I can't see Clement's coming back. I think Clements will ask for and be granted a release from his contract and will join another staff in some form.

Back