Meet New Wisconsin FB Coach Luke Fickell

big assumption by you everybody including you...go read the buckeye boards and their media folks not even close to a slam dunk.
Just my opinion. It’s hard to turn down your alma-mater in your home state, born in C Bus where you also were on staff and interm HC.

In 2011 Fickell was the interim HC at OSU when they beat Wisconsin in Columbus. Nice side note

Just my opinion. It’s hard to turn down your alma-mater in your home state, born in C Bus where you also were on staff and interm HC.
my point is he may not even get offered that job, Day is younger and has some big boosters and insiders in his corner.

Excited for the hire, feel bad for Jim L but maybe he can swallow his pride and they work out a deal for him to stay as DC. Forward!

After some time to let this one soak in
  • I like the hire of Fickell with some reservations but cautious optimism. At the same time I feel for JL. And yes you can feel both. He bled UW, turned down a handful of great gigs to stay in Madison. He was loyal to the program to a fault
  • It’s anyone’s guess on what the portal will look like. From all reports the team meeting last night was emotional and that’s being kind. This group went thru a lot the last 12 months with just off the field stuff.
  • I don’t know what happened in the process but from a few folks I have touched base with its a mixed bag. The vast majority like Fickell. Guess it comes down to expectations. Will be interesting to see season tix renewals and Badger Fund donations.
  • The vast majority look at year as a mulligan, probably multiple new faces on the field , new staff and system. Schedule is favorable. Oct 28th in Madison vs OSU became even more interesting
To sum up my feelings, the right hire based on the current state of the program. How that looks in 2-4 years will shape McIntosh’s legacy in Madison. There are many who like and wanted JL to run the ship, probably 30/70 in favor of him but it’s still a sizable number, for the record he was not my choice. In some ways this reminds me of the Bo Ryan hire, not the most popular choice but winning wins over.

Back