Marquette beats Wisconsin

TW

Reaction score
A speed bump? No. This was not a good game for the Badgers. I mentioned towards the end of the game that Trice tries to turn things into a one-man show towards the end, and it fails as often as it works. Last night he made a great shot to put them ahead. A little early on the shot? I wouldn't say that. It was the look he needed and he drilled it.

As for his foul at the end, I understand what he was trying to do. He just wanted to get the guy off stride, so he couldn't put up the game winner. I won't even fault him for the idea, because there's no way he knew there was less than 1 second on the clock. Yet, here we are, had he laid off the guy, he would have never gotten a shot off, and the Badgers would have won. Not picking on Trice, just stating facts.

On the other hand, where were the officials when Lewis stepped in on Potter early, and pushed him off the play prior to tipping that rebound in? They were calling even less contact fouls all night, and stood back and watched Lewis literally push him under the bucket. That said, Potter could have been more aggressive. Had he been, Lewis might not have gotten that tip. Then again, the way they were calling fouls, he could have been whistled for one himself.

It's not an excuse for losing. The Badgers were lethargic. They seemed to be offended by being called on touch fouls. They should have adjusted, and played the no-touch game, and used their experience to salt this one away.

Sometimes these guys just don't seem to feel the urgency they should during stretches in games.

One thing I do like. Davis. This kid is dynamite. They need him on the floor, period.

Last edited:
Minor speed bump vs an in state rival. Davison, Potter and Reuvers all were off and Gard had to play a makeshift lineup late in the first half with all 3 picking up 2 fouls. If anything bothered me last night is the bigs were not strong on the blocks and aggressive. Case in point when Potter got blocked low by Lewis, he usually goes strong to the rim. Wahl was a non factor as a was Carlson, but good learning experience especially Carlson.

Personally I thought the last call was a charge or no call, no chance in hell they blow that whistle in front of 17,000 at the Kohl Center. Good learning experience early in the season to prepare for conference.

Agree that several UW players were "off" last night. Potter did very little, especially in the 2nd half. Was there a foul on Lewis on the tip-in, probably, but still no excuse for Potter to get completely out-muscled by a frosh. Davison was just a complete non-factor other than a brief stretch in the first half. Reuvers was just so taken out of his rhythm by the foul calls, a couple of which were pretty ticky tacky.

The officiating certainly did not determine the outcome, but man, that was an uneven effort by the guys in black and white. Several of the really ticky-tack calls should just have been non-calls. I especially hate the ones that are more common now where the offensive guy initiates the contact and the defender is penalized despite there being no way for the defender to avoid the contact. There were several of those last night. I fear that's where we're headed.

Johnny Davis needs minutes . . . close to starter level minutes.

Watched the game again and Marquette’s length with Garcia and John really impacted the bigs. Take away Trice rest of team was 4-19 from 3, that’s not going to win many games. I also agree on Davis, he played 30 minutes last night and needs to be on the floor

the simple fact is they did not play well and they lost a game they should have won. just another disappointing badgers sports team. 2020 sucks.

the simple fact is they did not play well and they lost a game they should have won. just another disappointing badgers sports team. 2020 sucks.
And it’s also a top 10 team nationally that’s going to make a deep run in March. It’s one game nothing to be disappointed about.

They could make a run at the championship in March. Or they could be one and done. This year is so difficult to gauge.

As I thought about how Greg Gard is playing deep into his roster every game, I began to realize that winning all the early games don't matter this year. The trick in surviving this season for all teams is to insure you can send a group of five guys onto the court every game who have some experience, and have played together enough, that they can overcome the loss of guys for a few games at a time, to this darned virus.

To show what I mean, look at Louisville. They're in covid protocol right now, and their game against the Badgers was still questionable the last time I heard. They could come back, and be two, or three, starters down, and even have a depleted bench. You still need to compete, and quite honestly, I think it's going to be difficult going through the NCAA tourney without having to deal with this issue then, as well.

Even watching games is different. It just doesn't play out the way it should. As many of you have said, games today just don't have the energy that they do, when you have fans in the stand. Canned background noise is not the same, and for some reason, nearly every broadcast seems to believe you should drown out the announcers with the noise. It's totally distracting.

Friday was the first true road game of the year. Carlson looked like a freshman and that’s fine, better to happen now than January or February. Hell Crowl did not even see the floor. Right now this team is probably 9 deep. I know is nitpicking but I would love to see a better option at backup PG but it is what it is. The one thing that’s constant with this team is you will get effort on defense. I honestly think Davis and Carlson are more advanced now than Dekker or Kaminsky were coming in. How that translates later who knows. Carlson will put on some weight and be a load the next 2-3 years. Davis just is smooth and plays ok defense for a freshman, it’s the first guard in years that can create his own shot off the dribble. The conference is loaded.

I wouldn't argue with anything you said, and I agree on point guard. We have a problem there, and it's not going to get better next year. Bowman I believe left school, and Hepburn who will come in as a freshman probably won't even be close to being ready to play. With all the people graduating, this is going to be very difficult. If the Badgers are smart, they'll find a graduate transfer who has point skills and feels like he needs a change of scenery to get on the floor.

I can only imagine how hard the Badgers are looking at diamonds in the rough out there, to get them signed before others realize how good they are.

PG is going to be our ongoing nemesis, unless something is done soon. Even this year... I don't think Anderson is good enough to do the job. OK as a short period sub, nothing more.

I wouldn't argue with anything you said, and I agree on point guard. We have a problem there, and it's not going to get better next year. Bowman I believe left school, and Hepburn who will come in as a freshman probably won't even be close to being ready to play. With all the people graduating, this is going to be very difficult. If the Badgers are smart, they'll find a graduate transfer who has point skills and feels like he needs a change of scenery to get on the floor.

I can only imagine how hard the Badgers are looking at diamonds in the rough out there, to get them signed before others realize how good they are.

PG is going to be our ongoing nemesis, unless something is done soon. Even this year... I don't think Anderson is good enough to do the job. OK as a short period sub, nothing more.
There are rumblings Davison will apply for a 5th year which would help and Anderson looking at a medical redshirt year also. Agree on grad transfer maybe even JC route.

Also related recruiting stuff. Patrick Baldwin Jr dislocated his ankle. Fell bad for the kid. Doubtful he would be in Madison anyway, 1% chance and that optimistic. Bigger buzz is that while Duke seems to be the favorite UWM is a legit sleeper, would like to play for his dad

Back