Mackey Arena continues to be house of horrors for Badgers basketball

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Mackey Arena has been a house of horrors for the Wisconsin Badgers basketball program. Mix in a down year for the Badgers and one of the best Purdue teams in decades and you get a 78-50 no-doubter by the No. 3 team in the nation. Vince and Carsen Edwards nearly did the Badgers in alone, as the two reached over the 20-point mark respectively and combined for 41 points in the win. Wisconsin was done...

Source

Continue reading...

I do believe Gard's job is in jeopardy. The Badgers won't allow their program to fall to the bottom of the heap before they make a change. I wonder if they'll pursue Bennett, in Virginia? He would have been my first choice from the start, if he wanted the job.

That said, I hope Gard can do something to get this team working at a level equal to their talent. It's frustrating watching them play like they don't even know how to spell defense, let alone play it.

Gard's seat may be getting a little warm, but this won't be the year they can him. This team is a hot mess with injuries and youth. I think they give him another season - both to coach up this young group and to recruit. If next year's team is still this mediocre and they don't land a couple of stud recruits, the '18-19 season certainly could be Gards last.

Even in the best years, last night's game was likely a loss. The margin was dictated by Purdue's skill and the Badger's youth. Heck even the usually rock solid Davison was rattled last night. This is a lost season.

Unfortunately there is not much help coming. Taylor Currie is a fairly talented guy who reclassified a year early so will be even younger and less developed than a normal freshman. He certainly looks like a red-shirt for '18-19. Hedstrom is actually sort of a walk-on since I believe he's doing a 5 for 4 deal where he won't be on scholly next year. Has some size, but not likely to contribute next year. Those two are not going to add much. Maybe Gard will look at a graduate transfer or a JUCO player but that has not been a productive area for UW in the past. Getting King and Trice back is about all the infusion of talent this team will get, though some feel that Trevor Anderson, the kid who transferred in from UW-Green Bay could give them some back-court help next season.

Back