Lee Tunnell will return as Brewers' bullpen coach

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/339444701.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So, as it turns out, the Brewers did not dismiss five coaches after all from their 2015 staff.

Bullpen coach Lee Tunnell, originally among the group of coaches not retained after the team’s disastrous 68-94 season, was invited back to the fold Monday as general manager David Stearns announced three hirings.

The other hirings, bench coach Pat Murphy and pitching coach Derek Johnson, leaked out from their former organizations earlier. Murphy was serving as San Diego’s interim manager and Johnson was the Chicago Cubs’ coordinator of minor league pitching.

It made sense to keep Tunnell because the bullpen was the only area of the club that performed well in 2015. The Brewers’ relievers led the National League with 548 strikeouts in 530 innings and ranked fifth with a 3.40 ERA and .238 opponents batting average.

Stearns and manager Craig Counsell first wanted to make sure Tunnell meshed with Johnson, who was part of the process in naming a bullpen coach.

“Results are always a part of the equation but I think a much larger part of the equation was the fit with both Lee and D.J. working together with the experiences and skill sets they have,” said Stearns. “We made sure they had a comfort level with each prior to moving forward with this. It worked out very well.”

Murphy’s connection to Counsell goes back to the latter’s playing days at Notre Dame, when Murphy was the school’s head baseball coach. After replacing fired Ron Roenicke early in the season, Counsell wanted to add Murphy to his staff but the Padres would not let him interview, a tactic that became obvious later when he was named to replace fired manager Bud Black.

“We’ve had a 25-year baseball conversation,” Counsell said of Murphy, 56, who replaces Jerry Narron as bench coach. “I’m pleased to be able to add Pat to the staff. He has shown a great ability to impact people. He taught me a work ethic, encouraged a work ethic that has been very helpful.

“I’ve seen him impact players in college, professional baseball and the big leagues. I think he’ll continue to do so in a Brewers uniform. I feel really lucky to be able to get him here.”

As with Murphy, who also coached at Arizona State for many years, Johnson, 44, has an extensive college background. He was an esteemed pitching coach for 11 years at Vanderbilt, helping that program become a national power, before joining the Cubs in 2012.

“Derek is a very well-known pitching coach in baseball circles; has been for a very long time,” said Stearns. “I had not crossed paths with him previously but by reputation and through references he quickly emerged as a very strong candidate. He did an outstanding job in the interview process and we’re glad to bring him on board.

“We interviewed coaches with all sorts of different backgrounds. Clearly, some of the things we highlighted at the beginning of the process were positive, upbeat personalities who are good teachers. Both of these coaches fit that criteria.”

Stearns said he and Counsell continue to search for a new first base coach and an assistant hitting coach to replace Mike Guerrero and John Shelby, respectively.

“We have a number of candidates we’re excited about and are hopeful to have some future announcements in the coming weeks,” said Stearns.

Stearns revealed that former assistant general manager Gord Ash will remain in the organization in a different role – an advisor “from a strategic thinking standpoint” as well as helping with professional and major league scouting. Ash was former general manager Doug Melvin’s assistant but Stearns hired his own assistant, Matt Arnold, former director of player personnel in Tampa Bay.

Stearns said he has it down to “a short list of candidates” to replace farm director Reid Nichols and hopes to make a hire there in the near future.

Back